Plastic Smell From CPAP Last Night !

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Plastic Smell From CPAP Last Night !

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:50 am

hyperlexis wrote:Would you wear a pair of socks for months before washing?
well, if i wore the hose, your comment might some sense, but since that hose doesn't go on my feet, your comment sounds kinda stupid.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:42 am

Julie wrote:Hyperlexis - the majority of us never clean the hoses (except on the outside) as there is actually no need to do so unless you've exposed it to something unusual. Filtered room air (you breathe unfiltered all day) is sent into the machine and then through the hose, after which it leaves either through your mouth, nose or CO2 vent. Nothing goes backward through the hose and nothing collects in it - any slight amount of moisture from the humidifier will dry naturally during the day, but if you're using distilled water in the tank, won't generate any residue to worry about.
I know that most of us don't wash the hoses frequently, but the manufacturers generally recommend doing so. If odors (of any type) are at issue, I suggest frequent washing.

satansoft

Post by satansoft » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:50 am

shooter wrote:I had that happen to me when I forgot to fill the humidifier tank. An empty tank with the heater on, along with a heated hose produced an unpleasant plastic smell.
I have since made sure the water did not run out and have not had this trouble again.
I get a smell like burning electrical components and plastic, normally when my heated humidifier tank runs out of water. Soon as I top it up the smell disappears.
Don't forget that your machine is pulling in air from your bedroom. I recently started using painkilling freeze spray on a shoulder muscle injury, and was applying it in the bedroom before getting into bed, and I was getting the strong menthol smell through my CPAP. As soon as I started applying the spray in the bathroom rather than the bedroom, the smell disappeared.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Only two reasons the manufacturer recommends frequent cleaning:
---to cover their precious behinds.
---to wear it out quicker/hasten your need for a new one.

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:26 am

I smell a burned plastic smell if the humidifier tank goes empty during the night. It is a sickly, sweet, burned odor that I hate. Did your water tank go empty (or nearly empty)?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Who are you talking to?
The OP has been gone since 2009.
It was the poor schmuck who bought a stinky Apex and then zombified the dead thread.