S9 Autoset: "Settings Reset to Default Values. Please Contact Service Provider."

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: S9 Autoset: "Settings Reset to Default Values. Please Contact Service Provider."

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Eazy wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:18 am
Enter cervical collar.... Yes, I bought a neck collar to try.
Several of us have been using cervical collars for years. A cervical collar will hold the neck in the optimal position for airway patency and help prevent jaw drop.

Slartybartfast

Re: S9 Autoset: "Settings Reset to Default Values. Please Contact Service Provider."

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:21 am

BanjoPaterson wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:39 pm

I'd still like to know what went bad with yours, but getting any type of operational information out of ResMed is nigh impossible. My best guess is that between your run-hours (22,000+) and the CR2032 not having enough charge (even if it read 3v on meter, it may drop when the machine draws it if off main power), somewhere in its CPU brain it decided to brick your machine "for your benefit". My guess, as someone in IT. I can see a manufacturer, and not just ResMed, trying to build in obsolesce.

Hope you're OK. I'd dread not sleeping with my machine active. Keep well!
I replaced the battery and in order to check that the one from the S9 was actually weak, I put it in a key fob for my car. I did a range check to see how far from the car I could stand and open the locks, and it gave about the same range as a new battery. So it wasn't a weak battery that showed proper voltage, but couldn't deliver current. I really don't know why the machine bricked. It was plugged in when I left 4 months ago to go home to Washington. When I came back to my Mom's place to take care of her, I expected the machine would be working, as it had been for the last 10 years. That was when I got the message. It was plugged into a computer UPS, so it couldn't have been power line spike, and the power supply is a switcher anyway, and they handle spikes pretty well even without the protection afforded by a UPS.

I hate to just give up and to not know what caused my machine to brick. But with that many hours on it, even if I were able to get it running again, eventually something else would go wrong. I've got two new machines here, so I really don't need to worry about it.

BanjoPaterson

Post by BanjoPaterson » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:45 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:21 am

I replaced the battery and in order to check that the one from the S9 was actually weak, I put it in a key fob for my car. I did a range check to see how far from the car I could stand and open the locks, and it gave about the same range as a new battery. So it wasn't a weak battery that showed proper voltage, but couldn't deliver current. I really don't know why the machine bricked. It was plugged in when I left 4 months ago to go home to Washington. When I came back to my Mom's place to take care of her, I expected the machine would be working, as it had been for the last 10 years. That was when I got the message. It was plugged into a computer UPS, so it couldn't have been power line spike, and the power supply is a switcher anyway, and they handle spikes pretty well even without the protection afforded by a UPS.

I hate to just give up and to not know what caused my machine to brick. But with that many hours on it, even if I were able to get it running again, eventually something else would go wrong. I've got two new machines here, so I really don't need to worry about it.
Thank you for the update. I changed the date on my (low hour) backup S9s to 2014 just in case there's software that looks at the date. I'm getting good therapy (> 1 AHI on average), so I don't have to use Oscar (or Sleepyhead) to self-diagnose (where a correct date would be useful).

It's an interesting error in that:
  • It says very little about the underlying cause
  • It indicates the S9 still has power and the CPU etc. are still working to some capacity, but possibly not completely
  • It gives no indication if the fan is inoperable (although if it anyone swaps out the fan to another unit you could possibly brick that one too)
I don't like being ignorant about what causes an S9 to brick itself. I suspect if I call ResMed to ask they'll simply respond: "Buy an Airsense 10".

Oh well -thank you for the update and best wishes!