I'm a light sleeper and my boyfriend needs CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ekubaskie

Re: I'm a light sleeper and my boyfriend needs CPAP

Post by ekubaskie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:41 pm

As for noise, you've heard the same answer I'd give twenty or thirty times now.

But something else you mentioned - insurance won't cover the machine? If you end up going out of pocket for the gear, do your relationship another favor and SHOP AROUND. I checked at cpap.com (our hosts here at cpaptalk.com) and I was shocked to find that the cpap.com price was less than half what the sleep clinic billed my insurance. Then Pugsy told me about a cpap.com discount code that took the price down even further.

The price difference in my case, for the system shown in my sig, is enough money to cover a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two. Or a week in Hawaii.

DreamLady

Post by DreamLady » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 am

mystiohmy wrote:I'm such a light sleeper
I always thought I was a light sleeper -- until I got on cpap. Now I realize I've probably had apnea most of my adult (or even earlier) life. Used to be if the cat moved or jumped on or off the bed I was instantly wide awake. Now I sleep through summer thunderstorms; the kind that rattle the windows and shake the foundation!

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 am

DreamLady wrote:
mystiohmy wrote:I'm such a light sleeper
I always thought I was a light sleeper -- until I got on cpap. Now I realize I've probably had apnea most of my adult (or even earlier) life. Used to be if the cat moved or jumped on or off the bed I was instantly wide awake. Now I sleep through summer thunderstorms; the kind that rattle the windows and shake the foundation!

Excellent point!

When I first started reading in the forum one of the oldtimers would say "light sleeper" is a euphemism for "I have untreated sleep apnea". I quickly came to believe there is much truth in this statement.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:59 pm

I doubt that if could sleep at all with his snoring that the cpap noise will bother you. Mine is pretty quiet. But a fan or white noise machine, music might help.
mystiohmy wrote:I'm very much in love with my boyfriend and we are even talking marriage. Over the months we've been together, I noticed he would stop breathing during the night and suggested he be tested for sleep apnea. His tests came back today and he has severe sleep apnea and was told he needs the CPAP machine. I'm so afraid I won't be able to sleep next to him anymore due to the noise the machine makes. I'm such a light sleeper, even sleeping with his snoring etc thus far has been somewhat of a struggle. I realize he needs to use the machine for his health and it's going to be a part of my life now. Possibly forever.

Any advice on sleeping next to a CPAP user if you're a light sleeper? Thank you!