I'm a light sleeper and my boyfriend needs CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bobby269

Re: I'm a light sleeper and my boyfriend needs CPAP

Post by Bobby269 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Try a white noise machine. For me it was easy to get use to it's sound. It drowned out the noise of the Cpap.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Or put a noisy fan somewhere nearby.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

leonardlake

Post by leonardlake » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 pm

The new ResMed S9 Elite or AutoSet makes almost no noise at all. It isn't any louder than listening to normal breathing. You have to put your hand in front of the exhaust hole to make sure that it is actually on.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 pm

My machine makes way less noise than my snoring.
It is also rhythmic, as opposed to snores, which tend to be random/spasmodic.
My cpap IS my white noise machine--what little noise it makes.

67tony

Post by 67tony » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:06 pm

leonardlake wrote:The new ResMed S9 Elite or AutoSet makes almost no noise at all. It isn't any louder than listening to normal breathing. You have to put your hand in front of the exhaust hole to make sure that it is actually on.
The Phillips Respironics Machine that I use (see profile below) makes almost no noise.
If it is on the floor next to your mate, I am willing to bet you will not hear it at all.

Phillips Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex
Phillips Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:13 pm

My PR System One is so quiet that I can't tell if it is on except for the air flow - and I am very sensitive to sound.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:15 pm

I'M a light sleeper and I'm using CPAP. I use several white noise machines, although they are mainly to drown out outside noise. Start with one and see how it goes. I bet it won't be a problem, especially if he gets one of the newer machines.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Dive Apnea

Post by Dive Apnea » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:25 pm

I have the CPAP in my signiture line. It is super quiet. My wife is also a light sleeper, she even wears ear plugs, and eye things, even when she sleeps alone, because she is such a light sleeper. She says my CPAP is silent, and finally after 6 years together, I am finally silent too... No more thunderous snoring. I was actually surprised myself how quiet the CPAP is.
Pressure: 10

Sleep2Die4

Post by Sleep2Die4 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm

mystiohmy wrote: a light sleeper?
Medical science does not recognize anyone as "a light sleeper". You almost certainly have a health problem. Lack of sufficient, quality sleep will be devastating to you in the long run.

My recommendation is to keep a journal and write down all your "light sleeper" symptoms for two weeks. Then have a consultation with a sleep doctor.

This (copay) might well be the best $50 you ever spend in your life.

Good luck.

kwcrnp

Post by kwcrnp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Medical science does not recognize anyone as "a light sleeper". You almost certainly have a health problem. Lack of sufficient, quality sleep will be devastating to you in the long run.

My recommendation is to keep a journal and write down all your "light sleeper" symptoms for two weeks. Then have a consultation with a sleep doctor.

This (copay) might well be the best $50 you ever spend in your life.
I disagree...there are definitely people who wake easily to slight sounds and those that a bomb could go off and they don't stir. Ask almost every Mom and
the day they bring home that baby they become "light sleepers". It's almost always women who say they are light sleepers...probably natures way to
insure someone will protect the young Just because you wake easily doesn't mean you have a sleep disorder.

To the OP - the machines are very quiet and definitely quieter then snoring
Last edited by kwcrnp on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristi

BoomersRock

Post by BoomersRock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:24 pm

I am used to having a window air conditioner on in the bedroom a good part of the year. A breathing machine is considerably quieter than that. My husband's BiPap didn't bother me a bit. Now we both have dualing machines!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

These new machines are soooooo quiet that the only thing you will likely hear is the air escaping through the vent holes in the mask.

Let me tell you a little story about me and my old machine. Last spring I decided I wanted one of the new PR System One machines because they have a little more data than I had available on my old M series machine. I found one and told my husband and he says "why, is there something wrong with yours? You already have a back up machine?" So I tell him..."the new machines are more quiet"..."okay" he says.

So the next day he tells me that he woke up before I did and got right in my face for about 15 minutes....straining to listen to hear if he could hear the old machine...said he heard nothing. He wanted to know how a new one could be any more quiet than the old one. So he told me I needed a new excuse for the new machine. So then I told him "more data" and "I want it" and that was it.

The new high quality machines are nearly silent. Most of any noise heard is mask noise from inhale and exhale and the venting of the air that escapes out the vent holes. Some masks are "noisier" than others.

So don't worry too much about the noise. What little sound there is will be much less than snoring and gasping for air and easily muffled with some sort of white noise if you wish.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Sleep2Die4 wrote:
mystiohmy wrote: a light sleeper?
Medical science does not recognize anyone as "a light sleeper".

"Light sleeper" is a euphemism for "has trouble staying asleep".

Anyone who has trouble staying asleep should look into the underlying cause. It could be something minor or it could be something serious.

mystiohmy, You might want to research "sleep hygiene" and make sure you have good practices. Most people don't. Too much caffeine or caffeine too late in the day is a common problem that results in "light sleeper". When you research sleep hygiene you will see what some other problems are.

If good sleep hygiene does not resolve the issue I would have a general physical and talk to a GP about underlying medical causes. Medications should be reviewed.

If still not resolved the next step would be to see a sleep doc.

Sleep is one third of our lives and is critical to health. This is not something to be casual about if you want to take care of your health.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Newbie Woman

Post by Newbie Woman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:50 pm

A CPAP machine is a blessing beyond belief if you've ever tried to sleep with a person who snores. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

-tim

Post by -tim » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:50 am

A CPAP machine makes white noise. Well pink noise with rhythms if you want to get technical but whatever. I would hold off on the noise generator until you know you need it.

I have a cat that is a true light sleeper and thinks its her job to watch after me while I'm sleeping as well as absorbing any spare heat if its cold. She doesn't like the cpap machine but its because of the tubes and airflow. It took her a few days to get used to it and she still looks at it like it might bite her.

You will get better sleep in the long run but the first few weeks will take and adjustment, just like moving into a new house with a different heating system sounds will also keep you awake.

If it gets too much, sleep in a different room for a night. If your sleep deprived, your adjustment time will be longer.