Mask Humor

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Maxie

Mask Humor

Post by Maxie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:57 am

When I get up during the night, I don't take my mask off, just disconnect the hose. Last night night I got up to let the cat our (my partner usually does it) and my dog started running away from me and finally just sat on the other side of the room and stared at me. I finally came out of my sleepy fog enough to realize that my mask was scaring him. Poor doggy. Has this ever happened to you?

DrBucky

Re: Mask Humor

Post by DrBucky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:37 am

My 14 month old is still sleeping in the family bed (eventually I'm kicking him out). He likes to cover the air washout vent on my mask with his hand. Treats it like a musical instrument. Really, really annoying.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 am

I had to get out of bed to answer the door the other morning (not realizing I still had my mask on)............had to apologize to my neighbour for scaring the dickens out of her
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 am

The aliens are here--and they slept over.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:00 pm

My wife calls my mask my "gas mask". She says I look like one of those WWI dough-boy soldiers. Wonder where she gets the "dough' part?

Sheriff

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:35 pm

At night I read in bed a lot. When I do my bird just has to join me and eat her paperback book.
But as soon as I put my mask on and start the air flow my bird is back to her cage as fast as her
wings will take her.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

kwcrnp

Post by kwcrnp » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:58 pm

My cats were afraid to sleep with me for the first week or so then the one kept trying to get the mask off me....all is good now though.
Kristi

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm

My Mini Schnauzer likes snap at the vent air coming from the mask. It's a riot to wake up to his snapping at the air.

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 pm

My cat keeps rubbing her nose/mouth on the outside of my mask. Sometimes she causes leaks. I hate it when she does that but nothing I do stops her. It's usually when I first get in bed and have just put the dog in his crate. It's like she's "marking" me as hers. She also likes the "hum" of my CPAP machine. I guess she thinks it's purring to her. I have to keep shooing her away from it until she finally settles down and crawls under the covers with me to sleep.

Last night I pushed her away when she started rubbing my mask and she jumped over on top of my S9 Elite hitting the Start/Stop button in the process and the humidifier top popped open. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep her away from it. I thought of covering it with a box but then realized that the machine needs to take in fresh air. I probably just need to build something that hovers over the machine but doesn't block front/back or controls. Something like an inverted bookholder.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:39 pm

The dog still won't come in the bedroom--he's still scared of the gargoyle.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:05 pm

I have two standard longhaired dachshunds. Shadow and Sunny are entirely TOO smart for OUR good. They look like Irish setters on short legs.

I recall the night I woke up with the air through my hose VERY hot. I tried to move. Couldn't. Shadow had gotten up on my pillow, detached the hose from the Hozer, and had it tucked between his legs, turning it into an under-fur air-conditioner on a warm night.

The DACHSHUNDS haven't bothered my CPAP equipment.

The foundling BEAGLE on the other hand.....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47215&p=425691&hili ... le#p425691

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 am

To keep pets away from the machine...just get a small pet carrier and put the machine in it. The pet carriers are well vented and fairly inexpensive. Some of the pet carriers are even kind of pretty. Best of all they will keep pets from playing with the buttons or damaging the machine!

Brenda

DrPepper00

Post by DrPepper00 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 pm

bdp522 wrote:To keep pets away from the machine...just get a small pet carrier and put the machine in it. The pet carriers are well vented and fairly inexpensive. Some of the pet carriers are even kind of pretty. Best of all they will keep pets from playing with the buttons or damaging the machine!

Brenda
What a great idea!

raylo

Post by raylo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 pm

When we got a new puppy (insane dog - named Taz and has earned the name) I had to change my mask behaviors. I never used to put my mask away when I took it off. The mask is a Resmed Swift LT, ususally with Breeze pillows inserted into the cushion (viewtopic.php?p=433248#p433248), and the dog decided he really liked taste of silicon/plastic (and maybe lanolin).

Taz ate the breeze inserts out of the mask. The first time I thought one had just popped out and rolled away. Soon, however, I saw Taz in action. Man he was quick, he could get two inserts out before I even made the master bathroom door, much less before I could get back to the bedside. It took a few instances before I could remember to put the mask away in the morning, but he would still attack it if I took off for anything, period. He must have eaten 8 of the inserts (mostly the clear ones that are pretty thin) and at least one complete resmed cushion and pillow combo.

We were concerned about him but he seemed to suffer no ill effects and we assumed they were passing. Then one day, knuckle head me left the mask out and the bedroom door open. We walked in to find the crazy one on the bed chewing on the remnants of Swift headgear and a few pieces of those hard plastic cheek support things. The mangled part that the pillow support cushion fits into and some chewed up hose was hanging from the tubing. Most of the neoprene headgear, the cushion, and the Breeze inserts were gone. Vanished. Mind you this happened in about two minutes, tops.

Those of you week stomachs may want to stop here.

Some days passed, then, by chance, we noticed a few tiny bits of silicon in his stool. We were relieved, thinking the stuff is working through his system. The next night the dog started to vomit. Up came a breeze insert. Then another. A silicon cushion came out and a long piece of neoprene. Over the next day and a half, all manner of mask parts came out him (possibly from two places, sometimes it was hard to tell cleaning up). After that, the dog was fine.

Now, as soon as the mask comes off my face it goes into the nightstand drawer. A real pain for those middle of the night trips to the bathroom!

Taz has progressed to other things to eat, like an entire wicker laundry basket.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:57 pm

DrPepper00 wrote:
bdp522 wrote:To keep pets away from the machine...just get a small pet carrier and put the machine in it. The pet carriers are well vented and fairly inexpensive. Some of the pet carriers are even kind of pretty. Best of all they will keep pets from playing with the buttons or damaging the machine!

Brenda
What a great idea!
'Nother good idea is to use an old plastic milk carton....just turn it upside down over your machine. Lots of air holes and too heavy for your pet to push away.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.