Recieved new S9 today, Need set up help Please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
guffy2

Recieved new S9 today, Need set up help Please

Post by guffy2 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi,
Just came home from the DME , got a new S9 auto , the tech. said she really didn't like this machine. Which really meant that didn't know how to set it up . So this is what I have the pressure is set 4-to-20 the ramp is set for 45 minutes and the erp is set to off. I'm sending for the email copy of the Clinical manual. I seem to remember reading about a link to how to set up the machine but can't find it . Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Bon

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Recieved new S9 today, Need set up help Please

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Please specify: Autoset or Escape auto. I believe the clinician's manual may be different.

kwcrnp

Post by kwcrnp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:08 pm

If you have the S9 autoset (look at my picture), I have the same machine but it's set in CPAP mode. If you hold both metal color buttons down together, it gives you a wrench and setting button. There you can change your ramp time (mine is 20 min) to what is comfortable for you. You can also change the ESR (mine is 3), this lowers the exhale pressure making it easier to exhale. Again, this is a personal preference.

If you have a humidifier and heated hose, you can adjust the temp for that as well.

The humidifier snaps together with the machine, hose goes on (twist till it snaps if you have the heated hose).

Add distilled water. To pre-heat it, push the on button once then push down the right knob until it says warming up.

I put a rubber band around my hose and safety pin the hose to the side of the bed so I don't pull my machine when I rollover or get restless.

I'm sure many other will chime in as well. The S9 is VERY quiet and has nice features. Welcome and hang in there
Kristi

guffy2

Post by guffy2 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi.
Thanks for the info, got it working thanks again.
Bob

DrBucky

Post by DrBucky » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:37 pm

guffy2 wrote:Hi,
Just came home from the DME , got a new S9 auto , the tech. said she really didn't like this machine. Which really meant that didn't know how to set it up . So this is what I have the pressure is set 4-to-20 the ramp is set for 45 minutes and the erp is set to off. I'm sending for the email copy of the Clinical manual. I seem to remember reading about a link to how to set up the machine but can't find it . Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Bon
You probably want to adjust the pressure range eventually. What is your titrated/prescribed pressure. You should probably raise your minimum to a 1-2 (or even at) cm/h2O within that. The reason is that the APAP can't adjust that fast and you will likely have some missed apneas with such a low min pressure. THere really isn't a compelling reason to lower the upper pressure with a S9 as they are really good at not falsely raising the pressures, so I wouldn't bother messing with the upper end.

Just some food for thought.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Please tell us you got the S9 AutoSet, not the Escape Auto.

I hate it when someone is looking to get the "S9 Auto" and ends up getting the much less capable Escape Auto instead of the AutoSet.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.