Quattro FX leaks..proper adjustment equals smiles

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lovescuba

Quattro FX leaks..proper adjustment equals smiles

Post by lovescuba » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:23 pm

I just had my 30 day followup with my sleep doc. Since starting cpap. All my numbers were were great, as I knew with the thanks of sleepyhead. Even with a great (low) leak rate my Doc wanted to check the fit of my mask, she works with primarily the Quattro FX since it came out. She just has a passion with this FFM. She noted my adjustment was good, close but no cigar.... What she did amazed me both with the comfort and the seal.......

1. Top straps were too tight, she loosened them and lowered the ride on my nose, should sit lower than normal eye glass nose pads. If top straps are too tight it pulls upward on the mask. Let the outer seal work....too tight equals eye leaks AND leaks at the chin.
2. Make sure head gear rides low on the back of the head, label should be at the low skull, upper neck.
3. Lower straps should be tighter than upper straps to prevent ride up.
4. Without pressure inner support seals should be barely touching, under pressure they should not be touching when laying flat on your back.

She made these adjustments it felt awesome, I rolled around in bed and no leaks. I could not belive it! I came home and went for a nap, had to test it out. One hour nap, zero leak, and a AHI of .06......

Now I love this mask more than before, we will see how tonight goes... Really looking forward to bedtime.

Packy

Re: Quattro FX leaks..proper adjustment equals smiles

Post by Packy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Hey lovescuba,
Do you have the medium size head strap? I am having problem you described, but finding the top straps to be too short to get good fit around nose bridge.
Packy

lovescuba

Post by lovescuba » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:42 pm

No, I have a large mask, Doc. Considered changing to medium, but left at large, with large headgear. The top straps of the the headgear are at the max extension, can,t go further. That is why the Doc did not go to the med. Mask, headgear would not reach.

Hope this helps....

Buggstzer

Post by Buggstzer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Holy Cow Batman! She's right! It seems to make a huge difference in trial fit. Can't wait to try it tonight!

b360155

Post by b360155 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:23 pm

One thing that I've found that helps me get a good seal with the Quattro FX is to put a finger on the front of the mask between the elbow and the vent holes and apply light pressure before turning the machine on. Then turn the machine on, and slowly pull your finger away from the mask. For me, it seems that helps inflate the outer seal evenly so you get that so-called "floating on air" sensation with a good tight seal. If I don't do that and turn the machine on, I will often get a leak from the top of the mask as I think the air pressure blows out the top before it gets a good chance to seal around the bridge of my nose.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 am

lovescuba wrote:I just had my 30 day followup with my sleep doc. Since starting cpap. All my numbers were were great, as I knew with the thanks of sleepyhead. Even with a great (low) leak rate my Doc wanted to check the fit of my mask, she works with primarily the Quattro FX since it came out. She just has a passion with this FFM. She noted my adjustment was good, close but no cigar.... What she did amazed me both with the comfort and the seal.......

1. Top straps were too tight, she loosened them and lowered the ride on my nose, should sit lower than normal eye glass nose pads. If top straps are too tight it pulls upward on the mask. Let the outer seal work....too tight equals eye leaks AND leaks at the chin.
2. Make sure head gear rides low on the back of the head, label should be at the low skull, upper neck.
3. Lower straps should be tighter than upper straps to prevent ride up.
4. Without pressure inner support seals should be barely touching, under pressure they should not be touching when laying flat on your back.

She made these adjustments it felt awesome, I rolled around in bed and no leaks. I could not belive it! I came home and went for a nap, had to test it out. One hour nap, zero leak, and a AHI of .06......

Now I love this mask more than before, we will see how tonight goes... Really looking forward to bedtime.
As one who has been struggling greatly with leaks on this mask, thank you so much for these tips. Also, please thank your sleep doc.

It would have been nice if I had gotten these tips from the sleep center employee when I said I was greatly struggling with mask leaks. Instead, let's just say it wasn't a positive experience.

Since other situations there have been positive, I don't want to put too much of a focus on this one person. But after reading your post, it does make me angry about what happened.

Again, thanks!

49er

josh73

Post by josh73 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks for the tips! I tried them out last night and my AHI was at 4. It goes up and down, mostly b/c of leaks i believe. My average is 4.2 so i'm not too worried about it. I let my hair grow and got it cut really short and i had no idea how much of a difference that made with the headgear! Had to really adjust it. New bed coming tomorrow so i'm hoping that helps with my 'sleep hygiene'.

guffy2

Post by guffy2 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks for the info. Will try it tonite.
Bob

DrBucky

Post by DrBucky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 pm

With my Quattro FX I am able to sleep on my stomach with my face turned to the side/the quattro FX resting in the pillow. It gets that good of a seal once properly adjusted. I do get some leak (max of 7 average less than 1) but well within the range my S9 auto set can handle.

kwcrnp

Post by kwcrnp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:23 pm

My Apria rep fitted me the same way. I had a few days of minor leaks but some adjustments and all is well.
I find it to be a very comfortable mask
Kristi

napstress

Post by napstress » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks for your post. It's been almost a year and I'm still mask-wrangling. You wouldn't believe all the padding I've got sewn to my mask and I still get a raw nose bridge.

The only part about your directions I did not understand was:
lovescuba wrote:4. Without pressure inner support seals should be barely touching, under pressure they should not be touching when laying flat on your back.
The inner support seals should be barely touching what? The outer seals? How can you tell whether they are touching?
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

Matty332

Post by Matty332 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah my Qauttro leaks like a siv (I think that the retailer sold me one size to small, and mine doesn't have the forrid brace so mine rides up and the bottom ends up in my mouth.) now that my MD has changed my autoset to a high pressure, for the last two mornings it has had an angry face on the readout. I can feel the difference in the day - tired and spaced, I better go to the shop and buy a new one ASAP.

On a similar matter, have you ever turned on your side at night and aimed the masks outlet on your spouses face for a laugh? I do sometimes and she shouts out "I don't want bloody air conditioning!" LOL.

sleepysue55

Post by sleepysue55 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks for taking the time to explain to us how to fit this mask. Glad to hear someone out there has a really good healthcare provider. I had quit trying to use this mask but now I am going to get it back out and try try again!

minniesc

Post by minniesc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I was skimming through some older posts and found yours. That was about 4 days ago. I tried your fittings that night, and voila! No leaks, no slips, nothing! I love this mask, but continually had leaks and recently had the problem of the cushion popping out at night. All these have stopped since re-fitting my mask.
Thanks again!
Sharon

peterg

Post by peterg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

nice tips, thanks
ride up is what I get, which I solved by trying a piece of elastic under my chin and around the lower straps, loosely wrapped around itself to knot. such that it falls off when I take the mask off.
I ditched the DIY my ask liner a couple of days ago, dont seem to need it .
Ill try your tips though.