BLOODY NOSE, DRY MOUTH! WHEN DO YOU START TO FEEL BETTER?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jean19540_0

BLOODY NOSE, DRY MOUTH! WHEN DO YOU START TO FEEL BETTER?

Post by jean19540_0 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:35 pm

I AM A NEW CPAC USER, INFACT I'VE ONLY HAD IT FOR ABOUT 8 DAYS. MY CONSUTANT TOLD ME MY TEST RESULTS WERE VERY POOR & THAT I DEFINATLY NEEDED A CPAC MACHINE. I HAVE A RES MED S7 LIGHTWEIGHT MACHINE WITH A FULL FACE MASK, HAVING TRIED THE NASAL MASK I WAS GAGGING ALL NIGHT DUE TO MOUTH BREATHING, IT ALSO MADE MY NASAL CAVAITY, THROAT & MOUTH VERY DRY & SORE INFACT IT WAS VERY PAINFULL, ALMOST LIKE A COLD BURNING. I BELIEVE MY FACEMASK TO BE A ULTRA MIRAGE, WHICH AS A SOFT CUSHIONED INNER MASK, THIS IS USED WITH FISHER& PAYKEL HEADGEAR. MY PROBLEMS SEEM TO BE QUITE MINOR TO SOME BUT NEVER THE LESS ARE THERE. WHEN I WAKE IN THE MORNING THE BRIDGE OF MY NOSE IS BLEEDING, ALTHOUGH IT'S NOT SORE, MORE NUMB. I'M CONSTANTLY CONGESTED AS WELL SINCE I'VE STARTED USING IT, ALONG WITH A VERY DRY MOUTH & THROAT, ALTHOUGH NOTHING LIKE PREVIOUSLY. HAS ANYBODY ANY IDEA'S PLEASE? ALSO WHEN DO YOU START TO FEEL SOME REAL BENIFIT? DOES IT TAKE A WHILE FOR YOUR BODY TO REAJUST IT'SELF?
THANX!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:00 pm

Welcome aboard Jean. Sounds like you need a heated humidifier ASAP. You might also try a saline solution t cleans your sinus several times a day.
As for the bridge of your nose bleeding, the mask is to tight. Adjust the forehead rest take sone some pressure off your nose. Also loosen the straps . The mask will seal as the pressure pushes the seal to your face.

Inquire about getting a auto cpap unit such as the Resmed Spirit. . The S-7 is a fixed pressure unit. The Tyco 420E is another very good auto unit and is less expensive.
You may want to buy from https://www.cpap.com
even tho you are in UK

Cheers,

Irving

littlebaddow

Post by littlebaddow » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:21 pm

Hi Jean from a fellow UK sufferer.
I've been using the machine for just over a month. The first 10 days were a nightmare, I was very uncomfortable and just couldn't sleep, and often ended up taking the mask off. I felt no improvement to the symptoms and, like you, developed a sore nose (inside and out), dry throat and got a blocked up nose.
I then discovered this forum, plus amazingly 2 other people I already knew who were fellow sufferers, and the advice from all was the same - stick with it and it will get better.
In the fifth week, I'm now beginning to feel the benefit. I'm getting used to wearing the mask and, whilst I still wake up most nights at some point because my nose has blocked up, or I roll over and squash the mask into my face, I'm sleeping better and starting to feel a real improvement.
Don't despair, read through other people's experiences, ask questions and keep at it. It may take longer for you to get the right combination of machine & mask and to get used to it, but it's got to be better than living with the symptoms.
Paul in Essex

imacpappro

Post by imacpappro » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:53 pm

Jean,

Take a look at:

https://www.cpap.com/humidifierfaq.shtml

There is some good infromation there that will help you decide what to do. Hang in there, everyone is different, so no one can say 100% when you will feel better. You have been sleeping for so long without getting proper rest or "recharging you battery" that it may take a while for your body to accept the rest and start feeling better. It is worth it, so keep on trying.

ICP

mwhitaker8@cox.net

Re: BLOODY NOSE, DRY MOUTH! WHEN DO YOU START TO FEEL BETTER?

Post by mwhitaker8@cox.net » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:19 pm

I am a new cpap user 7 days and I have had a bloody nose several times. once walking back to work from lunch and my nose started bleeding, once during the night, I took the mask off because I was uncomftorable when I woke up in the morning and the mask was covered in blood all over my face the next time i was doing laundry and blood just started pouring. Help please

BlackSpinner

Re: BLOODY NOSE, DRY MOUTH! WHEN DO YOU START TO FEEL BETTER?

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Bloody nose means your humidity is tooo low. Your nasal passages are drying out and cracking. Happens to me in the winter here sometimes due to the dryness caused by the heating. Turn up your humidifier. This may cause "rainout" - you get a snout full of water. If that happens wrap the hose to keep it warm. You can do that by taking some old socks and cutting the toes off and putting them over the hose.

For a bloody bridge of the nose, find an old t-shirt or under shirt and lay the mask on it. Cut around it leaving an extra inch. Now cut a small triangle in the middle. lay it on your mask and lean over to put it on your face. Adjsut the hole until it feels comfortable.
One of our members Padacheek makes nice liners for masks and straps but it will take a lot of time to get them shipped over to the UK so make do with this idea for a while.

If your mouth feels really dry, try using a chin strap made from an old pair of tights.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal