Need advice for traveling to Mexico and Bali

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lauradavis@lauradavis.net

Need advice for traveling to Mexico and Bali

Post by lauradavis@lauradavis.net » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:21 am

I'm traveling to San Miguel Allende this weekend and have asked my friends there to find me distilled water and they have not found any. Not sure how to handle this. Will I need a surge protector there?

In June, I'll be going to Bali for three weeks, staying in three different locations and want to to know, once again, what to do about distilled water, and also what kind of portable surge protector I should get. I checked a couple of the links recommended in posts about electronics and Bali wasn't in the listings.

I have a Resmed 59 with a heated humidifier and and a heated hose use a Quattro FX mask.

Any help--the more specific the better--would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Laura

Cereal Killer

Re: Need advice for traveling to Mexico and Bali

Post by Cereal Killer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:21 am

What will you do on the flights to Bali?

There is no way I could fly that far and not fall asleep. Then, bam!, the apneas would hit me and I would be a mess upon arrival.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:31 am

You will also need to have a converter adapter for the different voltages in those countries.

If you can't find distilled water, then you should use good quality bottled water. Don't put anything in your machine that isn't fit for drinking - and I wouldn't drink tap water in either of those countries.

As both those countries have pretty warm climates, if it was me, I wouldn't even bother taking the humidifier - then you won't have to worry about the water at all.

Happy travels!

cheers,
xena

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi Laura,
As noted by xenablue, bottled drinking water will work fine and is safe in your humidifier. Most drinking water is reverse osmosis purified which removes dissolved solids and sterilizes it.

Your Resmed machine won't operate directly on 12 volt so you'll need to buy a cigarette lighter adapter if you want to use the machine in the airplane. It's a specific converter since ReMed machines operate on 30 volts internally. Here's one for an S8 and probably will work with an S9 but check with the supplier first. I don't know for sure.

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/33942-ResM ... ghter.aspx

Mexico uses two blade outlets similar to the old ungrounded ones you will find in old houses in the US. And 127V...so your machine should do fine plugged into the wall there. If your Resmed plug has one wide blade and one narrow one, a simple adapter like this will solve that problem...

http://www.amazon.com/Prong-prong-groun ... B000I96AUM

Bali is different, 220V and the outlets are the two little round hole type like in Europe. You will need a converter to reduce voltage and also a plug adapter to use your machine with the Bali outlets. This page has lots of specific info on what's available.

http://buyersguide.bargainoffers.com/vo ... uide.shtml

Have fun,
Jamis

PS: An inexpensive voltage surge protector wouldn't be a bad idea for a cpap machine or computer.
Last edited by jamiswolf on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm traveling to San Miguel Allende this weekend and have asked my friends there to find me distilled water and they have not found any. Not sure how to handle this. [snip]
Thanks,
Laura
This isn't what you are asking about, but I read lots of warnings about very violent gang killings in the Mexican border areas. Living in Texas, it's too close for comfort. Please take precautions for your safety so that you get a chance to need the distilled water, etc.

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Guest wrote:I read lots of warnings about very violent gang killings in the Mexican border areas. Living in Texas, it's too close for comfort.
I read about violent gang killings in Detroit, so watch out there in Texas!

Have you even looked at a map to see how far San Miguel de Allende is from Matamoros or Juarez?

Untreated AHI: 86
Treated AHI: 0.4

Brenpbb11150

Post by Brenpbb11150 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Hello Laura,
How exciting for you to get to spend some time in Mexico. I am in Mazatlan, Mexico now and am leaving for San Miguel on Feb. 21.
I have been on Cpap for about three years now and while in Mexico I use bottled water that I buy in the market in gallon containers. I have found since I have been here that I really do not need my humidifier as its quite warm most of the time. No problems for me with any Cpap issues, in fact I found a wonderful sleep doc here and I am amazed how much information he has given me. I spend 4 months here every winter and am glad I found him. Please come and enjoy yourself in Mexico as it is by far a much safer place than most of our cities in the US. I cannot comment on Balli as i have never been there.
Bren

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:03 am

Just keep in mind that when you go on holidays you mostly stay in a hotel and the rooms are air conditioned. I would always take my humidifier.

Post by 131 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:01 am

jamiswolf wrote:Bali is different, 220V and the outlets are the two little round hole type like in Europe. You will need a converter to reduce voltage and also a plug adapter to use your machine with the Bali outlets.
My S9 is a US model, the supplied power unit has a broad input range (100-240V, 50-60Hz) and runs quite nicely on the 240V we have in OZ. For Bali an adaptor for the input pins is all that will be required, but a line/surge filter may be cheap insurance.
Cheers,

Mick.

headbored

Post by headbored » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:14 am

I am also in Mazatlan for 2 months of the year and find because of the dust I have to change the white fine filter every week so bring lots of them.I also require a humidifier at home but here the humidity is usually 80 to 90 and therefore I dont use it.One less thing to worry about but everyone is different.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 pm

131 wrote: My S9 is a US model, the supplied power unit has a broad input range (100-240V, 50-60Hz) and runs quite nicely on the 240V we have in OZ. For Bali an adaptor for the input pins is all that will be required, but a line/surge filter may be cheap insurance.
I had heard some time back that newer machines were more universal...electrically speaking. Cool, one less thing for you to buy and carry with you. And I wouldn't hesitate to visit San Miguel de Allende...I'm sure it's very safe. Most of my Mexican travels have been south around Oaxoaca and the south beaches. Love it there. Highlands in the summer and the beach in the winter.
Take care,
J