cpap causes shortness of breath

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
abbey101

cpap causes shortness of breath

Post by abbey101 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Could someone please comment on this issue for me? I am a new cpap user. I know that it takes getting used to breathing out when having the cpap on but I just feel so short of breath because breathing out becomes much slower and results in fewer breaths per minute. It is like i do not have enough oxygen. I am not claustrophobic. I do have asthma. Could this be the problem? Initially the machine was at level 7 but even at level 5 I feel this. I have fibromyalgia and some muscle weakness though i have never noticed this affecting my breathing. It is usually my arms and legs that feel weak.
Perhaps I need a bi-level machine?
I would appreciate any comments from those of you who are experienced.

jnk

Re: cpap causes shortness of breath

Post by jnk » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 pm

I find I usually need at least 8 cm of pressure to feel that I'm getting enough air.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 pm

A pressure of 7cm is quite low, and 5cm would certainly make you feel claustrophobic!

Please edit your profile to include your equipment so we are better able to assist you.

If you have EPR on your machine, adjusting this will help with exhaling.

When you are first starting out on XPAP it takes getting used to. Even after more than a year, I still spend some time each night sitting up in bed adjusting my mask and relaxing so that breathing with the mask on becomes second nature. Watching some TV can help relax you also.

Cheers,
xena

cpaptex

Post by cpaptex » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:30 pm

I started out at 6cm and I was gasping for air. I went the very next day to the DME and my Prescription called for 6-15cm. They asked my to spend some time with them and they adjusted the machine per the Drs order. I could not accept the 6cm so they adjusted the machine to 8.5 ad ramping up to 10. My normal "range" is between 9.5 - 11. It used to ramp up to 15 and it would wake me up because of the leakage from my mouth.

It takes a while to find your sweet spot. But you've got to be a squeeky wheel! I complained, and I got action.

Good Luck!
I'm getting better day by day. Few if any OA Events, mostly CAs and Hyponeas.

I have Interstital Lung Disease

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:44 pm

Welcome, Abbey.

Please tell us your equipment, CPAP machine model, mask, etc. Put it in your profile. There's a link at the bottom of this post on how to do this.

Even with a bilevel, the exhale pressure won't get much lower, but it might make you feel better because breathing in may be easier.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to go to bilevel. It does take a while for your body to adjust to the pressure difference. Most of us don't feel the pressure at all after a while.

How long have you been doing CPAP?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:45 pm

We also need to know if you're using EPR/CFLEX

JHZR2

Post by JHZR2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 am

I'm at 8. I have a full face and a nasal mask. The full face I never feel starved for air. The nasal I do. It's like my lungs don't fill enough.

I think it is mainly in the brain - you need to get your mind off. Mouth breathing in the upper lungs gives a certain sensation which, IMO is not conducive to nasal cpap. The key is to get past that.

I'm working this too...

adrianne

Post by adrianne » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:36 am

Also make sure you're not hyperventilating. When I first used CPAP I had a tendency to "overbreathe." As hard as it sounds right now, try to just breathe normally. DME suggested putting it on and reading a book or watching TV to get one's mind off of the CPAP.

JHZR2

Post by JHZR2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 am

adrianne wrote:Also make sure you're not hyperventilating. When I first used CPAP I had a tendency to "overbreathe." As hard as it sounds right now, try to just breathe normally. DME suggested putting it on and reading a book or watching TV to get one's mind off of the CPAP.
Good advice. Definitely need to get the mind off of it.

derek70

Post by derek70 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:15 pm

adjust it yourself.
You (and only you) will be sleeping breathing through the mask (not your doctor or your DME).

Craig H.

Post by Craig H. » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:58 pm

I just went for what they called a titration last night - they didn't do it when they did the first sleep study because it took so long for me to fall asleep. I tried the mask that fits under the nose first but when the air hit it immediately became uncomfortable. Then, we tried 2 other masks that fit over the nose. The second one seemed OK, and I used it for probabaly 15 - 20 minutes, but then started breathing quickly, and could not rest between breaths. I also felt like something was caught in my throat that I could not get out. The technician said I had a "panic attack", but I think that the symptoms caused it, rather than the other way around. I do not think I would have survived the night the way things were going, so I signed the papers and left. This morning there was noticable discomfort in the chest and my nose felt life it had a bout with the roto-rooter man.

I am trying, and I know that this is a big deal. Besides, I am tired of being tired all of the time. I have no idea what type of equipment was being used, but can anyone give me any alternatives here? Does anyone make a machine with less-than-hurricane force wind?

JHZR2

Post by JHZR2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Craig H. wrote:I just went for what they called a titration last night - they didn't do it when they did the first sleep study because it took so long for me to fall asleep. I tried the mask that fits under the nose first but when the air hit it immediately became uncomfortable. Then, we tried 2 other masks that fit over the nose. The second one seemed OK, and I used it for probabaly 15 - 20 minutes, but then started breathing quickly, and could not rest between breaths. I also felt like something was caught in my throat that I could not get out. The technician said I had a "panic attack", but I think that the symptoms caused it, rather than the other way around. I do not think I would have survived the night the way things were going, so I signed the papers and left. This morning there was noticable discomfort in the chest and my nose felt life it had a bout with the roto-rooter man.

I am trying, and I know that this is a big deal. Besides, I am tired of being tired all of the time. I have no idea what type of equipment was being used, but can anyone give me any alternatives here? Does anyone make a machine with less-than-hurricane force wind?

Sounds like you had a real high setting. Do you know how many cm? Some units have a ramp setting.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 pm

JHZR2 wrote:
Craig H. wrote:I just went for what they called a titration last night - they didn't do it when they did the first sleep study because it took so long for me to fall asleep. I tried the mask that fits under the nose first but when the air hit it immediately became uncomfortable. Then, we tried 2 other masks that fit over the nose. The second one seemed OK, and I used it for probabaly 15 - 20 minutes, but then started breathing quickly, and could not rest between breaths. I also felt like something was caught in my throat that I could not get out. The technician said I had a "panic attack", but I think that the symptoms caused it, rather than the other way around. I do not think I would have survived the night the way things were going, so I signed the papers and left. This morning there was noticable discomfort in the chest and my nose felt life it had a bout with the roto-rooter man.

Sounds like you had a real high setting. Do you know how many cm? Some units have a ramp setting.
I am not sure, but I think she said we started on 5, and then I said I felt like I was choking a little (throat mike I think) and I believe she said she upped the setting, which, in hindsight, was the worst thing to do. It was right after that that I could not get a rest between breaths and things got real uncomfottable. I left because I was sure that spending the rest of the night like that would not turn out well. It was scaring the hell out of me until I finally took off the mask. The idea behind this "titration" (I have done these in the lab, but my titrations look nothing like this) was to have the technician move the level up until I had no more incidents, whatever that means.

Is there a machine with a setting less than 5 that I can use to get used to? The experience I had when I opened my mouth and had air coming out, instead of being able to clear my throat, was hard to deal with. Would a mouth/nose mask help this?

Thanks for answering!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:16 am

Guest wrote:Is there a machine with a setting less than 5 that I can use to get used to? The experience I had when I opened my mouth and had air coming out, instead of being able to clear my throat, was hard to deal with. Would a mouth/nose mask help this?
Most machines have a minimum setting of 4. Devilbiss might have 3..I can't remember.
If you will register and add your equipment so we can see for sure which machine you are using we could maybe offer more specific details...like using ramp at low pressure till you get used to things.

If you think 5 cm is a hurricane I don't know what to tell you...you might find a mask that covers the mouth and nose both at the same time might lessen the impression that the pressure is so high since it isn't as direct up the nose as nasal masks are. Using a full face mask like that opens up a different can of worms though. I suggest you get back with your DME and explain your difficulties.
Not all machines have the ramp feature, though most will. It all depends if your DME gave you a bare bones machine or not.

Have you tried using your machine while you are awake watching TV and such to get used to the pressure?

If you have the ramp feature it can be set to use the 4 cm setting for a period of time till you can hopefully get to sleep before the machine climbs to the pressure needed to treat your events.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:21 am

No CPAP will work with a nasal mask if your mouth opens. You need to learn to keep your mouth closed, get a chin strap, or use a full face mask.

Once you do CPAP with a nasal mask for a while, you'll learn the technique to close off your nose internally, and you'll be able to talk, cough, drink water, eat, etc. without taking the mask off.

Most people won't feel the pressure after a while. At 14 cmH2O, I sometimes have to lift up the edge of my mask and let air stream out to convince myself the machine is on.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.