Nasal Pillows and AHI

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JHZR2

Nasal Pillows and AHI

Post by JHZR2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:19 am

Hi,

I have an F&P Icon Premo and Resmed liberty mirage mask. Been using since Thanksgiving at prescribed setting of 8. I guess I am lucky, as I cant say I've had a bad night. I have indeed woken up easier since treatment, though my body is willing to stay asleep for hours more.

Since being diagnosed with mild SA, I've been trying to focus on breathing deeper and through my nose. The last few nights I've felt like it was hard to breathe with the mask on. Part of it was that the small size pillows I was using offered a slight obstruction.

I felt greater clarity of breathing when I moved to the large size pillows (holes are larger). I listen and check for hissing type leaks, and had none. My leak rate according to the machine went from 32 to 31, FWIW.

However, my AHI went from 4.5-5.1, to 11.2 with the big pillows.

Now I don't have the F&P software, and ive read on here that the data from the menu may not be accurate... But let's say it is... What gives?

cpaptex

Re: Nasal Pillows and AHI

Post by cpaptex » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:48 am

I had the same issues happen to me, in fact the numbers followed the same pattern as did yours. I went back to my DME and said no more Nasal Pillows. It irritated my nose anyway. They gave me a Respironics Easy Life Nasal Mask and my numbers fell back to normal. The Nasal Pillow just wasnt for me. Although it was very light and it was much easier to fall asleep. If it just didn't bother my nose, I probably would have gone through pressure adjustments to find the sweet spot.
I'm getting better day by day. Few if any OA Events, mostly CAs and Hyponeas.

I have Interstital Lung Disease

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:02 am

JHZR2 wrote:However, my AHI went from 4.5-5.1, to 11.2 with the big pillows.

Now I don't have the F&P software, and ive read on here that the data from the menu may not be accurate... But let's say it is... What gives?
Without seeing any detailed reports there is no way to hazard a guess. With all other things being equal there should not have been such a large difference in AHI. Was this 11.2 AHI a one time occurrence or several nights in a row.
Busylady has the software finally and says the on screen data is often horribly off.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JHZR2

Post by JHZR2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 pm

So last night I used the same pillows and AHI was 5.7. A little high, but according to the display on the machine, Im usually around 5.

Will keep tracking it...

But it leads me to another question - can one have bad nights where despite a functioning, sealed CPAP, the still have apnea events? If this is the case, why? Excessive tiredness makes the soft tissue sag worse than if there was still some level of muscle control and tone?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:21 pm

I don't know how you can tell much based on just an AHI. If I understand correctly your machine doesn't give any detailed data. An apnea might last 10 seconds, or it might last 42 seconds. You might have 1 per hour in 8 hours sleep or you might have 8 in 1 hour of that 8 hours of sleep. It seems to me that unless you can get a better machine, you are going to have to go by how you feel. Fix leaks if they are indicated but I'm not sure what else you have to go on.

JHZR2

Post by JHZR2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:37 pm

The F&P icon is a decent machine, IMO. When I get the SW, I'll have better insight. Until then I have to go off of what info I have.

While it seems that there may be some inaccuracies, I find it hard to believe that the data is wrong (else it would be wrong when read by the SW.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean that I thought the data was inaccurate, just that it may be limited. The bad thing is you won't know until you get the software. From what I have seen of the machine it's claim to fame is the built in alarm clock with music. I would like to have the swivel connector....
I hope it gives you data but I don't think it does... unless you have an auto and I can't see your sig from here. Even then, we haven't seen it yet.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 pm

OK your original post says you have a Premo, I believe the Auto is the only one with detailed data. I hate for you to wait for the software and then find it doesn't tell you anything. It appears that our host, cpap.com is only carrying the Auto, and that would make sense. They are a little more patient oriented... since they host this forum.

JHZR2

Post by JHZR2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Premo is the auto without the sensawake and Auto pressure adjust. It does take compliance and efficacy data like the auto.

http://www.fphcare.com/osa/cpap-solutio ... premo.html

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Oh, Good to hear that since they seem to be popping up all over recently. Would you post a screen shot of your data when you get one? I haven't seen one yet. Can you download the software or do you have to upload to their site?
I wonder if Jedimark has some data to look at... maybe it will work with sleepyhead....?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Please go to the user control panel and list your equipment in your signature in text format so it shows up whenever you post.

JHZR2

Post by JHZR2 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 am

It was in my OP, but is now amended to my profile.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:52 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70817&p=654543#p654543

Link to thread above shows what the software detailed report shows.
Busylady has mentioned that what she saw on the machine's LCD screen was NOT what the software showed. She noticed this fact the first time she went to doctor for follow up and was given a copy of the report. It could have been a fluke. She was finally able to purchase the software with her doctor's RX.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks Pugsy.