Weinmann Somnobalance e

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Confused-Appie

Weinmann Somnobalance e

Post by Confused-Appie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:03 am

Hi all.

My fiance was tested positive for sleep apnea last week and as a joke I got tested too only to find the joke is on me. I have a AHI of 31.1 with total Apnea of 169 and I need a pressure of 19 cm H2O. I have been recommended to get the Weinmann Somnobalance e as apparently it is the best and most reliable (yeah who trusts a salesman?). I was looking at the Resmed S9 Autoset as I travel a lot but the supplier, who is also a Resmed agent stated that the Resmed Autoset has had a number of complaints from their customers so now they no longer supply it but rather the Weinmann. Any thoughts on this?

MaxDarkside

Re: Weinmann Somnobalance e

Post by MaxDarkside » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14 am

I like my S9 Autoset, it give me the data I need/want, I've not had any troubles with it, and while I've not traveled with it yet, I foresee no problems. I have not used other units, so I can't compare. I'm sure others that have (or have had) other units can/will share their opinions.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:17 am

You must be in Europe? The Weinmann Somnobalance machines aren't dispensed in the US.
From what I could tell when I went to their product page it looks like it would do the job...APAP and some mention of data but I couldn't tell exactly what data.

The ResMed machines are dispensed in huge numbers here in the US. Despite the fact that they seem to be a more costly machine (base on online prices) to supply.

My first DME (who got fired) wanted to give me a Fisher & Paykel bare bones, cheap machine and when I requested a Phillips Respironics machine I was given the same story you got . "We have had too many problems with them"... Now this is despite at that time here in the US, Respironics and ResMed machines were neck in neck in number of sales. There is always going to be a lemon in any brand. Things happen.

If you can find an online supplier and find a normal selling price for the Weinmann and the ResMed S9 AutoSet you might find the real answer why they don't want to dispense the ResMed. I have no proof though. Just past history with DMEs and the almighty dollar.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Confused-Appie

Post by Confused-Appie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks Max, appreciate the feedback. Kind of confusing for a newbie and very difficult to decide especially when the Weinmann costs a lot more than the Resmed. But then would hate to go cheap and have regrets later.

Confused-Appie

Post by Confused-Appie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Pugsy

Am actually in South Africa, seems to be relatively new here and even speaking to my Doctor he wasn't sure of either machine. Told me to stick with the supplier recommendations.

Thanks for the help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:39 am

Weinmann costs more than the ResMed? In that case profit margin is unlikely the cause for the preference.
In the US the main brands are ResMed, Phillips Respironis, DeVilbiss and Fisher & Paykel. Perhaps they have had a bad lot of lemon Resmed machines. I have no idea about the data or how to get the data on the Weinmann or if it is even important to you since we just have to experience with the brand. It could very well surpass what we are commonly given here for all I know. I recently had a chance to use a ResMed machine for a short time after using a Respironics machine for nearly 3 years. To be honest, both machines did the job quite well and I found that both would suit my needs just fine. I think most people will do well with just about any of the brands. A few might like one algorithm over another but in general, good therapy is available from all the brands. Sometimes the differences are more in the individual models within the brand and not the brand itself. Maybe one has more comfort features or one offers data or whatever.

I bet you will do just fine with the Weinmann. Probably would do just as well with the ResMed. Probably would even do well with the APAP machine I used which costs (here in the US about 2/3 what we would pay for a Resmed). Less expensive $ wise doesn't always equal inferior product in terms of reliability when comparing a top of the line model within the brand.

From what I saw at the Weinmann website, the APAP is a top of the line machine and probably very popular in other areas of the world. We just have no user experience here to offer you a comparison between the brands.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Confused-Appie

Post by Confused-Appie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks Pugsy, really appreciate the open response. Have a brand new Weinmann on loan for tonight from the supplier to test. They so confident I will like it they were willing to open a new box for me and loan it out. Will try it and if it goes well then will take it. As I travel extensively through Africa it may be a better idea to take the one they recommend rather than worry later about being stuck with problems in the middle of the bush.

Just hate the thought of having to drag another bag around with me on all these darn flights.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:59 am

You can contact ResMed to find out if their S9 Autoset is available where you are.
The supplier may have broken ties (or vice-versa) with ResMed for reasons they don't want you to know.
You might WANT to know, before you are locked in.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:22 am

I sense reliability doubts in your comments..... Peace of mind is worth a lot and if you have a little bug in the back of your mind about the reliability of the Resmed products because of what you are told...then by all means...go with the Weinmann. It's not like they are trying to pawn off an inferior product with 10 year old technology and saying it is better than ResMed. Heck, for all I know...it might put ResMed to shame. Sounds like you will sleep better with the peace of mind going with the Weinmann and that is all that matters. ResMed isn't the only maker of quality machines and any brand can have a lemon or two.

Good luck with your therapy. I bet you do just fine and I don't think the travel size with either is a huge difference. It's not like one is tiny and the other one the size of a small suitcase.. The difference is minimal.