Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Samaniego

Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

Post by Samaniego » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:04 am

http://www.canadiancoop.com/index.php/n ... leep-apnea

Is this so good?

Good for me try at time of bed?

I can get safe supply. No police will bother. No crime caused. No children for me.
Doctor write: Age 42. Diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea AHI 21, mild oxygen desaturations, moderate snorer. Overall health good.

Pugsy

Re: Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 am

Samaniego wrote:Good for me try at time of bed?
Might be if you were a rat.

I sure wouldn't use it instead of a machine...given the potential relaxation properties which might make things worse (like RX muscle relaxers) might even need more pressure so make sure the APAP is wide open.

All joking aside. I can see possible medicinal applications for its use. I don't see sleep apnea being a legitimate excuse unless other factors are involved and getting to sleep or staying asleep due to other possible factors where cannabis has been known to be helpful. Like chemotherapy nausea, etc.

Cannabis use for legitimate medical concerns needs to be discussed with your physician.

Using sleep apnea as an excuse for what is really recreational use....not really the best way to go. IMHO

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 am

I think there is a study that shows marijuana negatively affects sleep architecture. That is why I refrain from recreational use. Well, that is one of the reasons. The other is that it makes you stupid.

Does anyone have a reference to a study on marijuana and sleep architecture? I think it has been posted here at some point.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Since pot wears off pretty quickly, isn't this a moot point? I mean, this isn't a Planet of the Apes movie marathon with a bowl going around every hour or two, you're be smoking then sleeping. Maybe the first hour or two you may see a difference, but the rest of the night you're back to normal.

However, this is all based on my own experience and for what it's worth, it was years ago, and I was pretty high at the time

osmium sleeper

Post by osmium sleeper » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:56 am

I find it odd that so many often claim that cannabis is only recreational. Even if it did treat 100% of my health problems, and believe me, there are many, I don't think I could ever consider it for treatment, as I truly hate the stuff. Just sayin'

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:14 am

You can get an evaluation, buy your medication, and then have a breakfast burrito at Venice Beach The Doctor is in.

Disclaimer: I just took the pictures. I have never used an illegal substance.

Last edited by JeffL on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:50 am

I recently watched a National Geographic program that explained what pot does to the body. It's not good.

You mean to tell me that this forum has some "legalize pot smoking crowd"?

Turn around, hands on the wall... you have anything that will stick, poke, or cut me...?

Sheriff

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:23 am

Personally, I don't do it, but mostly because smoke of any kind makes my allergies flare up. I do not believe it is any more harmful than alcohol - however alcohol is pretty bad for you too, so that's not saying much.

As for its impact on apnea, anything that irritates the lungs and throat is probably a bad idea. Even without the tar, smoke still irritates the lining of the throat and therefore would probably make the apnea events worse.

THC is a very effective medication for pain management, chemotherapy effects relief and a host of other problems, I just don't see it being useful for OSA.

Samaniego

Post by Samaniego » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:31 am

You my mind changed. No try. Good advice from here.

Thank you so very much.
Doctor write: Age 42. Diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea AHI 21, mild oxygen desaturations, moderate snorer. Overall health good.

Hoover

Post by Hoover » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 pm

As for its impact on apnea, anything that irritates the lungs and throat is probably a bad idea. Even without the tar, smoke still irritates the lining of the throat and therefore would probably make the apnea events worse.

FYI - there are many non-smoke methods of using medical cannabis - including vaporizing (so no smoke), edibles from tinctures, lozenges, cookies, butters, etc.

There are many medical conditions that medical cannabis can be helpful for - arthritis, pain, MS, nausea, etc. I'd like to do further research about cannabis and OSA.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:18 pm

My eye doc said it would take about 3 joints a day to control glaucoma.
Wouldn't that be called 'baked'.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:40 pm

FYI - there are many non-smoke methods of using medical cannabis - including vaporizing (so no smoke), edibles from tinctures, lozenges, cookies, butters, etc.

There are many medical conditions that medical cannabis can be helpful for - arthritis, pain, MS, nausea, etc. I'd like to do further research about cannabis and OSA.
^THIS^

If one is serious about using cannabis for a medical reason there are many methods other then smoking that can get it into your bloodstream and for longer duration then just an hour or two. I do not currently use medical cannabis but have looked into it. Smoking is not the recommended way to use medical cannabis do to the effects of burnt plant matter.

Due in large part to Governmental regulations and the bias of both the medical community and its funding, the studies that can be found are often very conflicting. There are though many good cases for medical use of cannabis. Cancer patients, people with seizures report it aids in controlling them, I even saw a guy on one documentary that took a high velocity sniper round to his skull and survived with over 45% of his grey matter being effected, he once took many meds to control some of the issues that developed but found cannabis more useful for controlling them. Some of the issues included sezures, sensitivity to hot and cold, difficulties in eating, not to mention the depression. When they guys brain started healing and rerouting functions one of the most fun things he talked about was how for the one whole side of his body now registers cold as pain. An ice cube run across his arm feels like a razor blade being drawn over his arm. I figure after the guy survived a sniper shot to the skull if he wants to use hash and it helps him deal with his issues LET HIM. The use helps him be happier, dulls his sensitivity to hot and cold, and as he now has metal holding his skull together and seizures are bad, helps stop them without the heavy side effects of other medications for seizures.

This all aside I do feel that cannabis does have a medical value but it needs proper research and the restrictions for said research to be relaxed.

For a replacement treatment of OSA though? not bloody likely, at best I could see it as an aid to be comfortable with the mask, aid with anxiety for some with the goal mainly to get to sleep.

Last edited by hades161 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 am

I think the idea in the rat experiment is that cannabis may be useful in treating central apnea for some people. I doubt it would do anything for OSA but make it worse.

If you have CSA or CompSAS, you could experiment. Personally, cannabis wouldn't be my first choice of therapies, though. While it's much safer than many other common intoxicants, daily use of anything like this can throw you out of whack. That can be said of many drug therapies, though, and this research may lead to a useful treatment for some people.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:26 am

I am not for or against medical or recreational use of marijuana.
I feel like you are probably a user looking for a green light. I don't think there is enough research to support use for its positive effect on sleep apnea. If you want to smoke and your numbers are good.....

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 am

Let me start off by saying that pot should be legal...it is no worse than alcohol and perhaps is far less dangerous than alcohol. I think more people die because of it's illegality (drug wars) than would if it were legal.

Having said that...I've got scoliosis that gives me chronic and often severe backpain. It just kills my desire to do anything or go anywhere. The only med that ever worked consistently for me is methadone, which I started taking about 3 years ago. However, I believe my sleep apnea started after that and doctors think this may be the cause or aggravator of my sleep apnea.

I've been thinking quite a bit about pot, if pot can successfully control the pain, then I would get off the methadone which may end my bout with sleep apnea.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.