I'm Back

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
macewa

I'm Back

Post by macewa » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:19 pm

It's been quite some time since I've posted (years). I started out in 2012 I think. My journey was horrific and I was the problem child on this forum for over a year. I would never have stuck it out without the great people here that went above and beyond to help me. I'm happy to report that finally my AHI is within norms usually ranging between 2 and zero. It was determined that I have to also have oxygen at night and am at 3 liters. I still hate strapping that mask on, but know that once it's own my life is good. I have been tested for allergies and am allergic to just about everything outside and have been getting 2 shots every other week now for the pat couple of years. So, that has helped immensely. Even with shots I have bad allergy days and when really bad I take a break and strap on the mask and turn my machine on and almost immediately feel better.

After finding my right numbers (with you help) a mask that fit me my struggles changed. Up until 2014 I was told I needed a medium mask. When I decided to go to the FX for Her I actually did the measurements myself and discovered I should be using a small. OMG When I got my RX for new mask and wanted small they continued to say that would be too small for me but I stuck to my guns and insisted on the small. Guess what? my numbers really changed that day and became consistent.

I struggle with leaks and sometimes fear that I'm pulling my straps too tight and it will stop my blood flow - but so far that hasn't happened.

The past several weeks my AHI is inching upward a bit too often so I will be upping my lower number by 1 = going from a 14 to 15 and see what helps. I forget, since it's been so long ,but if I can go up a 1/2 that is what I will do. Considering that my initial testing showed me at a AHI 64 I think finally I'm doing good.

My younger son has just been diagnosed (nowhere as bad as mine) and I'm encouraging him to come here and if nothing else - read. He has questions and some I can answer and some I can't but figure he'd get the answers here. He has downloaded SH and because of it instead of waiting 4 weeks to see his doctor, got an appointment first of this week and his lower number is being raised. Without using SH he would have waited a month with wrong numbers. I don't know how anyone can manage their apnea without monitoring it themselves.

Anyhow -- am very thankful to this board for all the help given me.

HoseCrusher

Re: I'm Back

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:58 pm

I love it when a plan comes together...

Sir NoddinOff

Re: I'm Back

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 am

Hello again macewa... glad to see you back. Your son should definitely come around and just read for awhile, then ask some questions.

A good place to start reading is the 'stickies' at the top of the main page... lots of good info there plus some success stories, tips on getting started and so forth. Many people self-diagnose using free Sleepyhead software and a machine, then chart their own course of therapy, sometimes in conjunction with their doctor - which kind of seems like what you did.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.