itchy Nose Quatro FX

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SneakerPumpernicle

itchy Nose Quatro FX

Post by SneakerPumpernicle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:35 am

I guess this could be for all full face users... I use the Quatro FX and s9 adap and find my nose getting itchy constantly. I then am faced with either basically fully waking up and hitting the off, or lifting the mask (will go to full blast, screw with readings) and scratching or moving the mask around to scratch it for me. Does anyone have any mods out there to help or scratch?

Last night while half asleep I was thinking maybe a small hole and velcro tipped wand in a rubber tube(to fill hole, keep preassure, "wiggle-able" etc), then I could scratch that sucker. Anybody try anything like this ? Or am I the first wild dreamer.

Thanks

tooter

Re: itchy Nose Quatro FX

Post by tooter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:40 am

I use the Quattro. When I have an itch, I unhook one strap..reach in and scratch and then rehook. I do not turn off the unit and this does not affect my leaks. Leaks are always under.10.
Fixed pressure at 11

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:48 am

I get the itch and it isn't specific to any mask. I also wear a self contained breathing apparatus SCBA for firefighting and I get the same itch. I get the itch normally just once right after or a minute or two after I put the masks on and air flow starts. Several of the guys I work with have said the same thing. I have tried to rub my nose a little before hand or just lifted the mask a little.
At least with the CPAP masks we can lift em to stop that itch from driving us nuts. With my other mask, I have to forget about it and go about my job. It never drove me nuts and usually went away.

Gerry

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:59 am

...maybe try a tiny bit of a hydrocortizone cream on your nose before you put the mask on? or do you think it's because of the air flow?

ems

Post by ems » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:31 am

I don't use your mask, however, I read somewhere that you can use an ice cream stick (minus the ice cream ) - it just slides in there and you don't have to remove the mask. I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:41 am

I agree with Jerry. Most of my face itches (and I use the total face mask.... so there's more face to itch) occurs soon after putting my mask on. It usually goes away in 10-15 seconds. If it doesn't, I keep an unsharpened pencil on my bedstand. I turn the machine off, unhook my hose and stick the pencil in the mask hole (for the hose).... and scratch away. Picture what a sharpened pencil may do....

If any other part of my body itches.... I er.... scratch it. Drives my wife nuts... but hey, IT ITCHES!!!

Welcome to my world...

Sheriff

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:44 am

A wooden coffee stirrer, Q-tip, interdental brush, or lollipop stick.
---I get my itchies, too.
Whatever is handy--as long as it doesn't break the skin or mask.

macewa

Post by macewa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

I use the total face mask too and always get an itch or two. It is such a hassle to take the mask off to scratch it as I wear something on my head to protect my hair as it was being pulled out and boken off by the straps of the mask. I wish my itch went away in a couple of seconds.

Sheriff Buford wrote:I agree with Jerry. Most of my face itches (and I use the total face mask.... so there's more face to itch) occurs soon after putting my mask on. It usually goes away in 10-15 seconds. If it doesn't, I keep an unsharpened pencil on my bedstand. I turn the machine off, unhook my hose and stick the pencil in the mask hole (for the hose).... and scratch away. Picture what a sharpened pencil may do....

If any other part of my body itches.... I er.... scratch it. Drives my wife nuts... but hey, IT ITCHES!!!

Welcome to my world...

Sheriff

Pougan

Post by Pougan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:14 pm

I just read that astronauts have a strip of velcro on the inside of their helmut so they can scratch their nose. I'm thinking I might be able to do something similar in the Quattro mask.

jacobsbd

Post by jacobsbd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:25 am

I rub my nose and face where it will be covered with the mask on a cloth or the blanket before putting on the mask and most of the time that prevents the problem.

If it gets really bad I take a benadryl
...I understand you've been running from the man that goes by the name of the Sandman

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:32 pm

I use a chop stick....hey, if it works don't knock it .
I got the idea from the sheriff, he uses a pencil. I needed something one night, went into the kitchen to get a pencil and saw the wooden chop sticks sitting there from dinner.....washed one off and back to bed I went.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 pm

This might sound weird, but my nose just doesn't itch since starting to wear the élan.