420E Run Question ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Wed May 28, 2008 7:34 pm

-SWS wrote:But it's our hope for your improved health through better therapy that compels many of us to follow your threads in general!
Gee, thanks, -SWS. Here I've been thinking the participants to this thread as well as the readers of this thread were here just for the technical discussion ..., that, and the fireworks of course ...

Bill

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Wed May 28, 2008 8:24 pm

My first intention was just to stop in this thread for friendly support, Bill. But, yeah, I'll admit the technical discussion got way too compelling to simply leave.

This discussion's like Hotel California: You can check in but you can never leave..

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu May 29, 2008 12:13 am

-SWS wrote:Snoredog, just to let you know that I'm definitely not ignoring your comments! As usual I'm soaking your interpretations in since you "nail it" so often.

However, I'm not so sure I agree with your REM conclusion. Not that yours is a wrong conclusion regarding REM. It's just that I think the amount of information available is inconclusive regarding how much REM Cathy incurred. But as a working theory or opinion, your REM statement works just fine for me! And I hold your other interpretive statements in similar positive regard as well.
no problem SWS, I was just tossing ideas out there, as for REM periods on Tangents graph that Ozij put up on page 9?

We can't really tell that for sure, this is only a guess, I was going the pattern of the clusters seen, they seem to correspond with snore then about every 90 minutes or so, with her first latentcy to REM being much shorter then the session ending with a CA which is probably close to when she woke up. Did she lay there awake? we'll never know

Caution Dad Gloat coming...
Besides I'm getting ready to head up to UCLA this weekend and watch my daughter get her DDS, so I asked her well after 8 years at UCLA what are you doing to end up with?

She sent me this, I better take my sunglasses with me:
Curriculum Vitae

EDUCATION D.D.S. UCLA School of Dentistry 2004-present
M.S. UCLA Oral Biology 2004-present
B.S. UCLA Double Major – Highest Honors 1999-2003
-Psychobiology/English Literature

HONORS & AWARDS Chancellor’s Residence May 2008
Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honor Society May 2008
Who’s Who Among American Universities & Colleges 2008
Dean’s Letter June 2007
Dean’s Leadership Institute Wt-Spr 2007
UCLA-Asahi-Meikai Dental Exchange Program 2006-2007
CDA Second Year Scholarship Spring 2006
UCLA/VA Denture Externship Spring 2006
Preventive poster featured at Spring 2005
Student Research Competition
EPRs: approx. 45

RESEARCH Infective endocarditis – Dr. Francesco Chiappelli 2007-present
CDA Table Clinic Presenter May 2007

EXTRACURRICULAR Journal of UCLA Student Dental Research 2005-present
ACTIVITIES -Editor-in-Chief 2006-07
-Editor (Founding issue) 2005-06

Delta Sigma Delta Fraternity 2004-present
-President 2006-07
-Vice President 2005-06

American Student Dental Association 2004-present
-School Improvement Committee Head 2006-07
-TGIT Committee Head 2005-06
-Class Rep 2005-06
-Lunch & Learn Committee Member 2004-05

Mobile Clinic/Venice/Health Fair volunteer 2004-present

American Women Student Dentists 2004-present

American Dental Political Action Committee 2004-present

Next Year: General Practice Residency at the VA Long Beach Healthcare System
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu May 29, 2008 4:29 am

Bill,
I sure hope you're getting better therapy at the newer setting!

But I'ld like to sound a word or caution about comparing the charts. A collapsed chart (as on page 1) always looks horrendous when compared to stretched out chart (as on the last pages).

What I find most encouraging Bill's newst data is that he slept better, and that his events appear here and there, not - as they did in seessions 20-21 on page 8 - in masses.

How was your aerophagie on those last nights with the newer setup, Bill?

-SWS
I had some major brain-ouch trying to understand your point about the Pearson, but I have finally got it....

Congratulations, Snoredog!
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu May 29, 2008 7:02 am

as for REM periods on Tangents graph that Ozij put up on page 9?

We can't really tell that for sure, this is only a guess, I was going the pattern of the clusters seen, they seem to correspond with snore then about every 90 minutes or so, with her first latentcy to REM being much shorter then the session ending with a CA which is probably close to when she woke up. Did she lay there awake? we'll never know
Hmmm...

May 18, 2007
Dear Diary,
I've been on CPAP therapy for 10 weeks now, and I feel like I could sleep around the clock. I got my new PB420E and Aura Twilight mask yesterday, and had a pretty good night's sleep. I discovered why everyone on CPAPTalk makes a big deal about rainout, though. I woke up with cold water spraying into my nose! YUK! I wish I could remember what I dreamed, and when I woke up during the night, because you never know when someone might hypothesize about it a year from now....

Bill, how was your night last night? I'm hooked on your daily progress.

Snoredog - WOW, congratulations on your daughter's achievements. That's well worth bragging about.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Thu May 29, 2008 7:18 am

Snoredog, that's not gloating in my book... I call that sharing the good news with friends! If you don't mind I'll vicariously ride some of your euphoria today!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Cathy, love that diary entry!!!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 am

Snoredog, wow!! You have every reason to be proud of your daughter's achievements. Super!!!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Thu May 29, 2008 8:10 am

-SWS wrote:My first intention was just to stop in this thread for friendly support, Bill. But, yeah, I'll admit the technical discussion got way too compelling to simply leave.

This discussion's like Hotel California: You can check in but you can never leave..

How apropos!
Hotel California wrote:On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night

And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Thu May 29, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys.

I pulled a switch last night and used the Comfort Curve again with the sensor tube extended. (Hey, I needed to test the "tube theory" out ... ) Here's the data chart from the past two nights:

I think I see the same pattern in this data as in prior data. I'll mention a couple of things though:
1) After using the CL2 all night the night before, I woke up more refreshed and breathing more deeply than after using the Comfort Curve. Not sure whether to attribute improvement the night before to the CL2 or the fresh air from springtime thunderstorms which, incidentally, spawned a huge EF5 tornado nearby. If attributable to the CL2 then I'm leaning toward the idea that the pillows were shoved so far in that my sinuses had no choice but to fully open up.
2) I'm seeing consistent correlation between lack of physical activity during the day with increased pressure needs at night (but not sure about the FL runs in that regard). Yesterday, was almost devoid of any real physical activity.
3) As seen in prior data increasing pressure up to 12 cm doesn't lower flow-limitation runs.

I'll try either the Swift or go back to the CL2 tonight. Looks like it'll take a little more time to sort the different effects out.

Regards,
Bill

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 am

Bill,

Do you suffer from SAADD*? I don't think you can correlate exercise with your data, when you only have exercise with mask A and no-exercise with mask B. I think you should deep-six your Comfort Curve, by the way. Every graph I see with that mask has solid runs and pressure up/down during the night. And putting your pressure to 12 doesn't matter when your maks is sealing right, like with your Swift and CL2, because the machine doesn't have to go there. IMHO, it's your leaks with the Comfort Curve that are your biggest problem. Keep posting your graphs, though, I love to couch-potato analyze them!

*Sleep Apnea Attention Defficit Disorder - a condition where multiple parameters are tweaked on a daily basis .

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu May 29, 2008 10:36 am

[quote="tangents"]Bill,

Do you suffer from SAADD*? <snip>

*Sleep Apnea Attention Defficit Disorder - a condition where multiple parameters are tweaked on a daily basis .

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Thu May 29, 2008 11:31 am

tangents wrote:Do you suffer from SAADD*?
Cathy, I actually suffer from SAIDD (Sleep Apnea Input Device Discomfort). It's been a while since I used nasal pillows and my schnozz wanted a day to recover. . Although I used the CL2 for a while earlier in my therapy, it has never been a particularly good fitting mask for me, despite the "fishing line" mod I came up with for it. I made it work cleanly for one night by literally jamming the pillows up my nose. (Or, maybe that one night without leaks was just a pure fluke ... )

And, besides my machine changes have occurred extremely slowly ..., a week or more between changes. .
tangents wrote:IMHO, it's your leaks with the Comfort Curve that are your biggest problem.

ozij wrote:Not discounting the effect of physical activtiy - but I also think it's the leaks that correlate with how refreshed you feel.
And that's why I come here ... to get honest opinions. In that regard, it should be interesting to compare leak data with a different mask. I may have to go mask shopping again. I know the Swift has a problem with leaks. I know the CL2 has a problem with leaks. I have not tried AYR gel, yet. I wonder if that helps with leaks.

I also know that I mouth breathe on occasion, although I didn't have any overt indications of that from last night (e.g., dry mouth), other than the one big spike in the data. Looking at the charts though, I see leaks from large to small throughout my charts ...

Regards,
Bill

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu May 29, 2008 11:38 am

Bill,

Not knowing your history of mask trials, have you tried the Aeiomed Headrest? Stupid name, but great mask.

Have a great day,
Cathy

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 am

Spikes come from a dislodged mask. Its the plateaus that are the bad mouth leaks.

I know because I wake up in misery from mouth leaks - and have tracked their apprearance.
Here's an examle of two mouthleaks - the skin near my lips was irritated and I couldn't tape for a few nights. On the first session I taped half my mouth... the leaks woke me and my mouth was dry - those two could have been worse.

The mask is a deconstructed Headrest.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu May 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Ozij,

I have no doubt that what you describe about mouth breathing versus leak curve is true for you, but what about my graph while wearing the Hybrid?