Quattro FX fit problem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
retrodave15

Quattro FX fit problem

Post by retrodave15 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:20 pm

I am having some issues with my Quattro FX mask I just received from my DME, HomeReach. While I wait for a call back from then, as they are notoriously slow to call back, I will post my questions here. I am a new cpap user, little over 2 weeks and feeling much better. I started out on a Swift LT but found out I am a mouth breather so I switched to a Quattro FX since I cannot stand anything on my forehead or between my eyes. Here are my issues:

1. I get the mask to seal with no problem when I first go to sleep, but later in night, about 3 or 4 in the morning the mask seems to be sliding around on a film of oil / sweat. I try not to tighten up the straps too much as I know this is a inflating cushion mask

2. A couple of times I have had my lower lip come under the bottom of the mask and was woken up by a horribly dry mouth. Is the mask too small. the tech fitted me with the mask and measuring tool and said I was a medium

3. I also have gotten some air leaks at the bridge of the nose during the night

My pressure is 10.5

What am I doing wrong - as I sit here and wait for a call back from HomeReach

Dave

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Quattro FX fit problem

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:27 pm

I, too have awakened gnawing on the bottom edge of my full face mask (which fits)--not any more!
The Fisher-Paykel flexi-fit 431, and 432 and their Forma masks fit below the chin--thus foiling the antics of my ornery mouth.

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

I will see if my DME can get F&P masks. At this point everything is ResMed or Respirionics.

Dave

Newark, Ohio

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:37 pm

I am pretty happy with my quattro fx which I have been using since march.
I would suggest that you be sure your face is clean before putting it on. Even if you have showered before bed, use a hypoallergenic baby wipe to clean your face. that should help with the oils. You may just need to wipe your face again and re-adjust the if you wake up in the middle of the night and find it sliding. I get up about 1x per night for a bathroom trip and take my mask off then, and put it on again.
for the leaks, I find that it works for me if the lower straps are snugger than the upper straps. Be sure to use the swing down technique to put it on. I think there's a video on the manufacturer's website if you need a refresher.
a pad a cheek liner will help with comfort and leaks.
so far I've only been able to get resmed products from my dme. If I purchase on line it is considered out of network by my insurance so I have not yet done that.

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:24 pm

I will try the baby wipes tonight. I have been using the swing down technique as well and fiddling with the straps.

As for my DME, I see my sleep doc tomorrow and I am going to ask for a script as there are other DME's around here

Dave

Newark, Ohio

fuzzy96

Post by fuzzy96 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:37 pm

do a seach in the forum and you will find your problems quite common.
this mask is known for riding up and nose bridge leaks.
keeping facial oils off and a clean dry mask is a must.
mask liners may help.
don't be afraid to try something if it may help. that is how many members here have come up with great fixes. who knows maybe you can get an rg's lab rat award.
keep us posted

busylady

Post by busylady » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:16 pm

I too started with Swift FX and changed to the Quattro FX in July. I was fitted with a small and 3 weeks ago changed to a Medium. That has made a big difference. Not so easy to drop my chin out of the mask. I agree with the other posts. Make sure your face is clean and use a liner. Good luck!!
Avatar is one of 200+ elephants in a collection started when I was in kindergarden. Thought it was appropriate.

cpap789

Post by cpap789 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:13 am

Quattro fx mask is cheap...
After 6 month, the cheap velcro don't work anymore... But the big problem is the leaking over the nose bridge... They made the mask so easy to dismount in order to clean it that it dismount by himself over the nose bridge a few time during the night... You wake up, put it back in place and try to go back to sleep... 2-3 times a night
I am so suprise by the stupidity of a compagnie who obviously didn't test there product in real with real patient and real preasure... If they would have done it, they would have find that the mask isn't working well in real life situation and they would have correct the problem before selling that crap...
Take my word for it... stay away of that piece of ***