Cleaning the AirFit F20

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
andy88488

Cleaning the AirFit F20

Post by andy88488 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 am

Hi all,

I've just started using the AirFit F20 Full-face mask. I've generally liked it, although I had to pull it tighter than I expected to get a really good seal. Prior to this, I was using the Mirage Quattro.

I'm used to cleaning my mask weekly. I'm not a morning person, and my weekday mornings are usually getting up a little too late, then frantically getting ready to get out the door. I went to clean my new mask this weekend, and came up with a lot of questions:

1. The instructions say to clean daily. Really? Is that really necessary for this mask?
2. The instructions say to use a soft brush to clean the vent. What kind of brush do people use? I originally thought of a toothbrush, but I think that the bristles would be too short.
3. The instructions say to brush it, soak it in soapy water for ten minutes, then rinse. Is this enough to remove dried saliva, particularly if you only clean weekly? If you clean weekly, should you clean the mask differently? I'm used to cleaning the inside of the seal quite thoroughly by hand, but the mask doesn't really seem built for that.

Thanks!
Andy
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

bristolman

Re: Cleaning the AirFit F20

Post by bristolman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:13 am

I use the f20 and right now I only do 2 things to clean mask . first daily ,i wipe down with un scented baby wipes and if I think it's getting gross put in bowl with luke warm water and dish soap ( we use organic ) , slosh around a little , rinse again with luke warm water , set on paper towel to air dry . probably most important thing is water temp ,not hot.
mike

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:38 pm

My wife and I both use the F20 mask. I simply wash both of them once a week. I'm retired, so I do it on Monday morning while she does the laundry. The RT I worked with when I first started said she cleaned hers and her husband's mask every Sunday morning. By doing it in the morning, everything is dry by the time we are ready for bed. This time of year, I hang them out on the small table we have on our covered patio. If it's raining or too cold to hang them outside, I simply hang them above the dryer while she does the laundry. I clean the water chanbers, mask pads and complete mask including the head gear. Once a month, I check the filters and change them if they look too gray.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:15 pm

andy88488 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 am
1. The instructions say to clean daily. Really? Is that really necessary for this mask?
2. The instructions say to use a soft brush to clean the vent. What kind of brush do people use? I originally thought of a toothbrush, but I think that the bristles would be too short.
3. The instructions say to brush it, soak it in soapy water for ten minutes, then rinse. Is this enough to remove dried saliva, particularly if you only clean weekly? If you clean weekly, should you clean the mask differently? I'm used to cleaning the inside of the seal quite thoroughly by hand, but the mask doesn't really seem built for that.

Thanks!
Andy
I treated this mask as I did all previous ones. A quick wipe in the morning. Once every week or two a good washing in soap. If I have a cold, more often...
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 am

andy88488 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks!
Andy
I clean my AirFit F20 cushion when I think it needs it, unscented CPAP wipe only. Vents have never needed cleaning. The VA gives me new headgear/mask every 6 months, along with heated hose and humidity tray, and cushions 1 per month. I don't have to clean the AirTouch cushions, they aren't worth squat after about 3 weeks.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:30 am

I am like most everybody here. I wipe down my mask cushion every morning with a Pampers baby wipes for sensitive skin. It only takes a minute. About every 4 to 6 weeks, I soak the cushion in clear Dawn dish soap. I do use a WalMart toothbrush on the cushion. I scrub the cushion, then let it soak a couple of hours in soapy water. I rinse the cushion real good, then dry it off with a hand towel.

Wipe down your cushion every morning with a baby wipe and you are good. Don't worry about the vents.

Sheriff

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:16 pm

I agree with most of this. Wipes daily, and wash weekly. I use baby shampoo in warm water. Since the vents are in the elbow, it goes in the sink once a week with the cushion for the Airfit F20. I only brushed it once, when something got on the vents. Usually just washing in the baby shampoo and water does the trick.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Thank you for the reminder.
I've been meaning to clean my humidifier tank.
(Hops off to wash stuff)

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks, everyone, for their comments. It's a relief to know that this thing does not have to be babied excessively. I am still deciding between this and the Simplus.
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm

You may be confusing the F20 with the newer F30.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm

When and how to clean is really up to you. What is your level of acceptable facial grime and oil from the previous night left behind on your mask. For me, this is of utmost importance, I wash my mask nightly with hot water and dish soap using only my hands scrubbing the cushion for 20 or 30 seconds and quick dry off with paper towel, and off to bed.

When I was new to cpap and using my F20, I guess I wasn't as concerned at that time about my mask hygiene and regularly got pimples on the bridge of my nose, enough to scar it (yes I have an F20 scar to this day). That was enough for me to say ok, no more...done with this type of mask.

All these things you kinda just have to figure out on your own because it's different for everyone, everyones therapy is individual and personal and exclusive to them and the best anyone else can do is try to spitball you in the right direction. There are no rules and only right and wrong is dependant upon how you attain positive results or not.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol: