Travelling / Distilled Water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sdgsean

Travelling / Distilled Water

Post by sdgsean » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:31 am

Hey all.
I’ve done a search of topics and couldn’t quite find what I was looking for. I’m travelling to Mexico next week and am worried about the potential lack of distilled water for my humidifier. Would you think it’s better to run the humidifier with bottled water for a week, or don’t use the humidifier at all (ie leave it empty).

Thoughts?

Pugsy

Re: Travelling / Distilled Water

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 am

Just use regular bottled water and it will be fine.
I wouldn't change to not using water....your nose might not like being dry and it might cause problems and mess up your trip.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sdgsean

Post by sdgsean » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:55 am

Thanks!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:34 am

sdgsean wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:31 am
Hey all.
I’ve done a search of topics and couldn’t quite find what I was looking for. I’m travelling to Mexico next week and am worried about the potential lack of distilled water for my humidifier. Would you think it’s better to run the humidifier with bottled water for a week, or don’t use the humidifier at all (ie leave it empty).

Thoughts?
Distilled water is a (dubious) convenience so that you don't have to occasionally do an acid (vinegar, citric acid) rinse of the humidifier tank to remove any mineral buildup.

Is it really more convenient to lug water around, or buy a home distiller compared to a little vinegar every month? that's entirely up to the user.

If the water is safe to *drink*, then it's safe to put in the humidifier tank.

CPAP manuals in many other countries don't even say to use distilled water.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:47 am

If you can afford to travel, shouldn't you be able to afford to buy a new HH tank. If I was that low on funds, I'd stay home , or at least buy a gallon of Vinegar to clean it, if I was worried. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:01 pm

We bought the home distiller at a closeout joint for $20.
It would NOT have happened for retail ($200 at the time).
If it dies, I might rig up a distiller out of a teapot.
with the condenser coil coming out of the spout.
That might even be possible off the grid . . .

CreativeChris

Post by CreativeChris » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:06 pm

I always use distilled water. When I travel I let the hotel know before hand I will need a gallon of distilled water which they usually supply. If not I use bottled (purified not spring). Never tap. I don't want to inhale whatever is in the water off gassing. Paranoid? Perhaps, but won't drink it so don't want to inhale it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:00 pm

CreativeChris wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:06 pm
I always use distilled water. When I travel I let the hotel know before hand I will need a gallon of distilled water which they usually supply. If not I use bottled (purified not spring). Never tap. I don't want to inhale whatever is in the water off gassing. Paranoid? Perhaps, but won't drink it so don't want to inhale it.
Don't use one from the Mini Bar! :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CreativeChris

Post by CreativeChris » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:00 pm
CreativeChris wrote:
Don't use one from the Mini Bar! :lol: Jim
Please.... My company only puts me up in the finest hotels. The ones with vending machines a floor down.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:26 pm

CreativeChris wrote:
Paranoid yes, studies have confirmed that what the water is "off gassing" is water vapor. If crud was going along with it, then it wouldn't get left behind in the tank, and need to be cleaned out later.

If you want to be paranoid, that's fine, do whatever makes you happy, but let's not mislead people into thinking that distilled water is somehow required.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CreativeChris

Post by CreativeChris » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:47 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:26 pm
CreativeChris wrote:
Paranoid yes, studies have confirmed that what the water is "off gassing" is water vapor. If crud was going along with it, then it wouldn't get left behind in the tank, and need to be cleaned out later.

If you want to be paranoid, that's fine, do whatever makes you happy, but let's not mislead people into thinking that distilled water is somehow required.
I do agree with you. What I mean by off gassing is the chlorine/fluorine in the water. Solids, of course, will be left behind.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Distilled H20 is a CONVENIENCE, but certainly NOT a necessity. Sheesh!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:28 pm

CreativeChris wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:47 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:26 pm
CreativeChris wrote:

I do agree with you. What I mean by off gassing is the chlorine/fluorine in the water. Solids, of course, will be left behind.
There is no fluorine in the water, if there was, it would make your CPAP burst into flames. Fluoride isn't the same as fluorine, any more than table salt is the same as chlorine and sodium.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Distilled water makes using cpap a little less of a chore.
Reason enough for me.
Our local water is so full of lime that people use water softeners to get normal use
out of things like toilets and washing machines, which fail due to limestone deposits.
Some places have naturally soft water--distilled water is not needed there.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:37 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:30 pm
Distilled water makes using cpap a little less of a chore.
Reason enough for me.
Our local water is so full of lime that people use water softeners to get normal use
out of things like toilets and washing machines, which fail due to limestone deposits.
Some places have naturally soft water--distilled water is not needed there.
Absolutely. I'm just here to counter the "you have to use distilled water" myth that is propagated in this country. There is certainly not harm in doing so, especially if one has a bullfrog to clean up the distiller :lol: :D :wink: