CPAP machine died please recommend ones to consider

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
markrb12

CPAP machine died please recommend ones to consider

Post by markrb12 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:39 am

I had a F&P Icon Auto and it recently died.
I feel the F&P wasn't the best choice for me for many reason.
Among them being with the Auto function my AHI was always worse unless I made the MIN/MAX so tight non-auto would have been just as good with the F&P.
I think the machine would keep getting higher pressure, but at that point it was the inability to breath out that caused the higher number. Kind of a catch-22 I needed more pressure to open the airway, but couldn't breath out well against the pressure needed.

I am heading to the sleep doctor this week as it happens so I can have him write a new script.
I think I would do better with some breathing out pressure relief that the newer machines seem to have as even the best pressure I could find many times left my AHI still a bit high and I think that might be do to not being able to higher due to fighting against the pressure breathing out, might even talk about getting a BiPAP instead.

There are two possibilities.
1. My insurance will cover the new machine and I will go to a local DME.
2. My insurance won't cover it and I will look into a refurbished or used machine online from a trusted dealer that sanitizes, tests the machines thoroughly and gives a warranty.

What CPAP machines should I look into with pressure relief and good data both in new and a generation older used (I was looking at the S9)?

As for online companies I have mostly been looking at Second Wind CPAP as they seem to get pretty positive feedback from forum members and I like the 1 year standard warranty.
There is another that I thought was cpap.com that sold used machines (turns out I am wrong about the company), that has a following here, but unlike Second Wind I believe they have a 90 day warranty.

What online companies would you consider buying from? I would like to know other trustworthy sources.

I thank you for your taking the time to read this as this is a big deal that I make a good informed decision and I need to keep costs as low as possible without degrading performance.

Thank You,
Mark
Last edited by markrb12 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pugsy

Re: CPAP machine died please recommend ones to consider

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:04 pm

markrb12 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:39 am
CPAP.com also seems to have a little following, but their warranty is typically much lower.
Huh??? For machines cpap.com only sells new (not used) and they all come with the full manufacturer's warranty which is typically 2 years depending on brand. I think one brand even offers 3 year warranty.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:30 pm

markrb12 wrote:

What CPAP machines should I look into with pressure relief and good data both in new and a generation older used (I was looking at the S9)?
click on the machine in my sig to see what i'd recommend.

in may just be coincidence, but my ahi has actually lowered since i bought the machine.

btw, it was from cpap.com. i dunno where you get the restricted warranty info, but as pugsy said, cpap.com sells only new, not secondhand.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Having difficulty breathing out may (no guarantees it will work for you) be helped with EPR (ResMed). I would recommend you consider what you are considering, a BiPAP, I would recommend the ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto. A BiPap is capable of delivering much greater Expiratory relief than the 3 cmw a CPAP is limited to.

The reasoning to acquire a BiPAp (VAuto) is that you need the greater Pressure Support (PS) the BiLevel is capable of over the 3 cmw a CPAP is capable of.

So two machines
1: ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto (BiLevel)
2: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (or Autoset for Her, with an additional algorithm)

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:22 pm

bonjour wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:49 pm
a BiPAP, I would recommend the ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto. A BiPap
Someone such as yourself should know that "BiPAP" is a registered trademark of PHILIPS RESPIRONICS, to refer, in general, to their line of BILEVEL machines.

Nowhere on the box, any marketing, or on the Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto machine will you find the word "BiPap"

Also, don't you think it's rather poor form to post links to another forum in your sig here, especially when that other forum is so antithetical to this one that they've put "cpaptalk.com" into their dirty word filter?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

markrb12

Post by markrb12 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:04 pm
markrb12 wrote:
CPAP.com also seems to have a little following, but their warranty is typically much lower.
Huh??? For machines cpap.com only sells new (not used) and they all come with the full manufacturer's warranty which is typically 2 years depending on brand. I think one brand even offers 3 year warranty.
Sorry I must have confused it with another company. There is one I have seen mentioned here that I looked into that they sell used machines that have a 90 day warranty. I was sure it was CPAP.com, but obviously I was wrong.

Mark

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:40 pm

The Organize Charts I didn't write,
The Download Sleepyhead isn't from that site.

May I include links to the articles I wrote?

Which Sleepyhead links would you prefer I include?

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:33 pm

I LOVE my S-9 !! Lightweight, comes with travel case.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm

bonjour wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:40 pm
The Organize Charts I didn't write,
The Download Sleepyhead isn't from that site.

May I include links to the articles I wrote?

Which Sleepyhead links would you prefer I include?
There's a perfectly good wiki over here.

Doesn't matter whether you wrote things or not, I just feel it's in poor taste, considering how rabidly *anti cpaptalk* that board is.

Sending people over there for manuals is one thing, sending them for dubious 'advice' is another.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.