Where do you get supplies?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LG34

Where do you get supplies?

Post by LG34 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Just wondering if you order through your doctor's office or get them online or at a local medical supply company? I had been ordering through my doctor's office with it going toward my deductible and still paying out of pocket. They used to be good at getting the supplies to you quickly but now they have gone to an automated system that isn't working too well. Through the new system you order online but it still has to go to a person in the office and they seem to be backed up. It's been 2 weeks since I placed an order and they haven't even processed it yet.

raisedfist

Re: Where do you get supplies?

Post by raisedfist » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:09 pm

I pay out of pocket but I have new insurance and am going to inquire about maybe using the DME...if the cost is right.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Many people here do not like the service of DMEs.

If you are using insurance to cover your supplies, call them up to try & find a supplier in your insurance network.

For many of us, it is less expensive to order ourselves form Amazon or our sponsor, CPAP.com.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:51 pm

I buy from whatever source provides what I want for the best net price to me.
If my insurance authorized DME van't or won't provide what I want I usually order it from CPAP.com. I have recently order mask parts from both to create the mask I wanted for the best price.
I also bought my ASV machine from another member on this site.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:54 pm

online at www.cpap.com. great service and never a problem. But my insurance does not work with them. If I use my insurance, I go with Lincare.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:22 pm

LG34 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 pm
Just wondering if you order through your doctor's office or get them online or at a local medical supply company? I had been ordering through my doctor's office with it going toward my deductible and still paying out of pocket. They used to be good at getting the supplies to you quickly but now they have gone to an automated system that isn't working too well. Through the new system you order online but it still has to go to a person in the office and they seem to be backed up. It's been 2 weeks since I placed an order and they haven't even processed it yet.
Amazon and eBay are usually the cheapest places.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:39 pm

American Home Patient.

But only because they play well with Blue Cross and Medicare. I pay nothing out-of-pocket. They send me what I need "automagically".

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm

LinkC wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:39 pm
American Home Patient.

But only because they play well with Blue Cross and Medicare. I pay nothing out-of-pocket. They send me what I need "automagically".
If you are on medicare, their rules forbid DMEs from auto shipmts...someone may get in trouble

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:23 am

I think it's terrible that they make it just about impossible to get supplies. I had no problem when my wife was working and her insurance was our main ins. , but when she retired and medicare became the primary oh my how things changed. I tried lincare and they do not contact you and when you call them they are the rudest people I have ever dealt with, I have found another company in my area, they're not rude but it was like pulling teeth to get supplies. I got supplies once and will have to see how it goes next month when I am due to re-order.

Snoring and Snorting

Post by Snoring and Snorting » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:53 am

I have ordered via Amazon and theCPAPshop.com. I tried to go through CPAP.com but they would not accept the paperwork the VA had given me. I found that other places would accept the sleep study with the prescription (in VA words) written into the sleep study results. For me to get something different in writing from the VA would take months. It takes weeks to get an appointment, then I would have to get the provider to refer me to the sleep lab, wait weeks for that appointment, then beg the sleep lab to get me a written prescription in the form that CPAP.com uses. If the VA provider did not understand the requirements it may involve going back to them a second time to talk to someone else.

I wanted to order from CPAP.com because I liked the package they offered; some extras thrown in that theCPAPshop.com did not offer.

I cannot use my insurance because they still refuse to allow for the sleep study to begin with. The first refusal letter came a month after the test had been completed; the reasons given were that since I did not fit the cookie-cutter mold for apnea (male, overweight and older) they would not pay for the sleep study. I got a letter last week (study was done in Aug by the VA) that said since I did not have any structural issues or that I did not exhibit any breathing issues that they still would not allow for the sleep study. I wondered if the sleep study findings proving the apnea condition would be permitted as reason enough for them to pony up money for the sleep study, but it seems that the insurance company will find all the excuses in the world before they will acknowledge that I have apnea.

So, since the insurance company still won't permit a test there is no way they will accept my supplies being billed to them.

Luckily for me, once I find what I want, the VA will get the replacements for me. I don't mind paying out of pocket as an alternative to waiting for months to try something. Getting bi-annual replacements from the VA is pretty good and I am happy with that. I might try, on my next check up with the sleep lab, asking for something I have not tried, but I don't know what the response will be; the VA tends to be fairly stiff in their thinking and alternatives are not viewed kindly. The first mask they issued was the full face one that was the first ever produced (I think) and when they did not have one small enough for me they would not consider alternatives.

If my insurance was not so cheap (I only use them to supplement the VA anyway) I would fire them and find a more reasonable company.

The fallout of all this is that I have a drawer filled with masks I won't be using. I hate to see them just sit, but I don't know of anyone that would want a mask I tried for one or two nights and decided it would not work for me. Some I tried on but were the wrong size or something else did not fit me right and I never actually slept in them. Cannot return them so they sit in a drawer. Too expensive to throw away, but unwanted by anyone else.
Snoring/Snorting/Choking and an overall Hazard :shock:

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:13 am

Snoring and Snorting wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:53 am
I have ordered via Amazon and theCPAPshop.com. I tried to go through CPAP.com but they would not accept the paperwork the VA had given me. I found that other places would accept the sleep study with the prescription (in VA words) written into the sleep study results. For me to get something different in writing from the VA would take months. It takes weeks to get an appointment, then I would have to get the provider to refer me to the sleep lab, wait weeks for that appointment, then beg the sleep lab to get me a written prescription in the form that CPAP.com uses. If the VA provider did not understand the requirements it may involve going back to them a second time to talk to someone else.

I wanted to order from CPAP.com because I liked the package they offered; some extras thrown in that theCPAPshop.com did not offer.

I cannot use my insurance because they still refuse to allow for the sleep study to begin with. The first refusal letter came a month after the test had been completed; the reasons given were that since I did not fit the cookie-cutter mold for apnea (male, overweight and older) they would not pay for the sleep study. I got a letter last week (study was done in Aug by the VA) that said since I did not have any structural issues or that I did not exhibit any breathing issues that they still would not allow for the sleep study. I wondered if the sleep study findings proving the apnea condition would be permitted as reason enough for them to pony up money for the sleep study, but it seems that the insurance company will find all the excuses in the world before they will acknowledge that I have apnea.

So, since the insurance company still won't permit a test there is no way they will accept my supplies being billed to them.

Luckily for me, once I find what I want, the VA will get the replacements for me. I don't mind paying out of pocket as an alternative to waiting for months to try something. Getting bi-annual replacements from the VA is pretty good and I am happy with that. I might try, on my next check up with the sleep lab, asking for something I have not tried, but I don't know what the response will be; the VA tends to be fairly stiff in their thinking and alternatives are not viewed kindly. The first mask they issued was the full face one that was the first ever produced (I think) and when they did not have one small enough for me they would not consider alternatives.

If my insurance was not so cheap (I only use them to supplement the VA anyway) I would fire them and find a more reasonable company.

The fallout of all this is that I have a drawer filled with masks I won't be using. I hate to see them just sit, but I don't know of anyone that would want a mask I tried for one or two nights and decided it would not work for me. Some I tried on but were the wrong size or something else did not fit me right and I never actually slept in them. Cannot return them so they sit in a drawer. Too expensive to throw away, but unwanted by anyone else.
Post what you have and sizes. likely someone will want them. Pugsy keeps a box of masks that people have sent to her after trying for a short while that she is so kind to send out to people wanting to try different things.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:14 am

Snoring and Snorting wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:53 am
Actually there are people who will gladly be willing to take your unwanted masks off your hands.
There's a lot of people out here that don't care if a mask has touched someone else's face or been used a bit.
Soap and water will take care of the cleaning issues.
People who maybe just want to try a different mask or a different size and they can't get one through traditional sources either because they used up their insurance replacement allowance or they don't have insurance.

Fix up a post with a list of your unwanted masks...if you want to sell them for a little bit of money...state what you want for it.
If you want to just get it out of the house...say for free.
You will get people wanting them.
It is acceptable to ask for postage reimbursement because mailing this stuff out costs money.

Finally if you can't get takers for something and want it out of the house...if you are willing to donate ...I will take whatever you can't get rid of if you send it to me and I will put it with the other donated stuff people just want out of their house.
I then dole them out as needed when I see people who need something. I never resell anything that gets donated. I keep all donated stuff totally separate from my own personal stash. Only thing I ever ask anyone to pay is postage reimbursement if they can...and if they can't I can absorb some costs without it taking food off my table.

But do go ahead and offer up on the forum first...take out the middle man...me....so people can get what they want sooner.
Right now my personal life is in a turmoil and I just don't have the energy or time to do much mailing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Snoring and Snorting

Post by Snoring and Snorting » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:22 am

EXCELLENT!!!

Tonight when I get home I will set up a list and post them.

I hate waste and this will make me feel a lot better!

thank you
Snoring/Snorting/Choking and an overall Hazard :shock:

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 pm

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:23 am
I think it's terrible that they make it just about impossible to get supplies. I had no problem when my wife was working and her insurance was our main ins. , but when she retired and medicare became the primary oh my how things changed. I tried lincare and they do not contact you and when you call them they are the rudest people I have ever dealt with, I have found another company in my area, they're not rude but it was like pulling teeth to get supplies. I got supplies once and will have to see how it goes next month when I am due to re-order.
There are literally dozens of places where you can get supplies.

You can get almost anything on eBay, when the elbow of my mirage quattro broke, twice, I bought a new one on eBay, the second one, they'd changed the design, and it never broke. You can get most any part from most any mask that's currently on sale, along with filters, hoses, water tanks, etc etc etc.

Amazon has filters, hoses, mask parts, probably more.

Then there's cpap.com, directhomemedical.com, and many many more.

Also, what are you "re-order"ing every month? Are you throwing out perfectly good things because of a 'schedule' that the DMEs told you to buy more stuff just to increase their profits?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LG34

Post by LG34 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Interesting answers here. I've ordered from cpap.com several times with good service. The doctor's office was helpful in the past with things like trading out sizes, etc. My machine had to be replaced about a week before the warranty ran out and fortunately they checked it and replaced it at no cost.
palerider wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 pm
Also, what are you "re-order"ing every month? Are you throwing out perfectly good things because of a 'schedule' that the DMEs told you to buy more stuff just to increase their profits?
Another question: how often do you replace parts? I've been told to replace nasal pillow and machine filter twice a month, tubing every 3 months, headgear/mask and water tub every 6 months. Does this sound like the norm or is it to increase profit?