Resmed S9 Autoset vs DeVilbiss Intellipap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Houli

Resmed S9 Autoset vs DeVilbiss Intellipap

Post by Houli » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Hello all,

I did some research and was pretty set on the Resmed S9 Autoset to find out my insurance only covers Intellipap. Aetna will consider making an exception with a Predetermination Benefits Request from my doctor. The request needs to state why S9 Autoset would be a better solution - the more detailed and thorough the more likely it will be accepted.

My inquiry/question is three-fold:

1. Are the two machines comparable - Is there a reason why I should get the S9 over the Intellipap?

2. What are some specific reasons why S9 would be superior?

3. If S9 is the final decision and my insurance will not cover this - is anyone familiar with purchasing from cpap.com and what the warranty is?

Thanks for all your help.

I'd like to give my doctor some specific reasons for her PBR to submit to Aetna should I go that route.

Emilia

Re: Resmed S9 Autoset vs DeVilbiss Intellipap

Post by Emilia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:36 pm

I have had my Intellipap for over a year now. It is a wonderful machine that has given me excellent therapy. It is made in the USA, has a 3-yr warranty, and the software is comprehensive enough for those with run of the mill OSA. If, however, you have a complex diagnosis, you might prefer the more detailed data via the ResScan software for the S9. That said, if your insurance won't cover the S9, you are looking at about a grand for the machine/humidifier. If you go the IP route, paid for by insurance, you will need to pay about $150 for the SmartLink software package for that (your insurance won't cover software).

I have moderate OSA and I've had excellent results using my IP AutoAdjust. My AHI routinely runs 1.5 or below. The algorithms used by each manufacturer are different so comparing the IP to the S9 is not equal in terms of how they score events, etc.

One other point.... we IP users are quite fortunate to have a DeVilbiss company rep on this forum who has been incredibly helpful to us. DeVilbiss also provides, free of charge, firmware updates for their machines when new upgrades are added.

BTW: I find it fascinating that Aetna (at least your plan) will only provide a DeVilbiss machine. Don't think I've seen that before!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:57 pm

1. Are the two machines comparable - Is there a reason why I should get the S9 over the Intellipap?

If you personally decide the features of the S9 are more important to YOU then get the S9

2. What are some specific reasons why S9 would be superior?

Do you experience many central apneas? The S9 is capable of detecting them and not increasing pressure unnecessarily.
The S9 has a superior climate control system.
The S9 can be customized with a skinit cover see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69151&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=skinit

3. If S9 is the final decision and my insurance will not cover this - is anyone familiar with purchasing from cpap.com and what the warranty is?

I find this odd that your insurance is dictating exactly which machine you can have. If you ask your doctor to write you a script for an S9 then i think (at least legally) the insurance company should let you have one but cover it via a maximum allowable amount for the CPAP/APAP machine code. i.e reimburse you the amount they would pay for an Intellipap and let you pay the additional out of pocket expense for the for the S9.
Buying from cpap.com will get you normal manufacturers warranty but you will have to handle the insurance claim & paperwork yourself

OntarioKevin

Post by OntarioKevin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:49 pm

I've had both.

Ever since I got the S9, the Devilbiss has been mothballed. There's no comparison.

The S9 definitely has richer data. One point that I believe is true is that the S9 can measure (at least tries to measure) central apneas versus obstructive apneas. That data can help you figure out what's happening.

It also has a different way of handling inhaling and exhaling - I forget what they both call it, and I know they both have it, but it's a lot easier to breathe "naturally" with the S9.

People say it also has a ClimateLine hose, but I'm pretty sure I either don't have that or I don't know how to use it.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:58 pm

OntarioKevin wrote:
People say it also has a ClimateLine hose, but I'm pretty sure I either don't have that or I don't know how to use it.

The optional ClimateLine hose is a heated hose which enables an automatic climate control system which puts out 80% humid air relative to the temperature and humidity in the room, so there is little possibility of rainout, when everything is working as it should. The hose costs more than the standard slimline tubing ($52 retail & most insurance will only pay a part of it). I had to pay $30 out of pocket but it is a feature that is completely worth it. Also no "cold nose" in the winter when the room is cooler at night.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

fZXHSCQEji

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:48 pm

It's great to read something that's both enjoyable and provides pragamtisdc solutions.