Poll: In which season(s) do you sleep best?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

In which season(s) do you sleep best?

Spring
14%
Summer
10%
Autumn
23%
Winter
53%

Total votes: 87

Mr Bill

Re: Poll: In which season(s) do you sleep best?

Post by Mr Bill » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 pm

I voted winter. I like to keep the front room warm with a small pellet stove to fool the central heat. Meanwhile the bedrooms are thus much cooler although passively heated by slight warmth drifting from the front room. The air in winter is drier. I seem to sleep better with dry than with humid air. I love to snuggle in under heaps of quilts and flannel sheets and then throw them off when I get too warm. The dry winter air and especially the snow draped landscape is so quiet, you can hear the silence. I love to hear the silence and around Christmas, realize that my LED festooned trees are shining into the darkness in that perfect silence.

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

Jade

Post by Jade » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:57 am

GumbyCT, that's probably because I didn't fill that out... Upthread I mention it's an upper midwest state.

In the winter here, we drive on lakes and anyone over 10 years old knows not to put their tongue on metal objects between November and March. Why most of us seem to do this before 10, is one of the universe's great mysteries. The old wusses go to Florida then and the rest of us drag out our 14 layers of heavy clothing, tune up the snowblower, and hope we hit 40 below windchills for only 1 week during the season.

Alshain, maybe we should try to start one. I think a national effort would be best. Wasn't the original "law" created by the US government? Trying to do it state by state kinda freaks me out. Isn't it AZ and IN that have "seceded"?

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:25 am

[b]Jade[/b] wrote:GumbyCT, that's probably because I didn't fill that out... Upthread I mention it's an upper midwest state.
Jade thanks for narrowing that down.

I know I feel that anyone asking me to reveal should be willing to share the same info (in the thread where asked) without me having to launch CSI and searching Upthread.

I know IRL you are more likely to get that info IF you were to say, "Hi my name is John, what is yours". Than "What is your name", for example.

Sorry I didn't mean to challenge your authority.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Jade wrote:Alshain, maybe we should try to start one. I think a national effort would be best. Wasn't the original "law" created by the US government? Trying to do it state by state kinda freaks me out. Isn't it AZ and IN that have "seceded"?
AZ and HI actually. I don't know that trying to nationally get rid of it would work. Truth is, it makes sense for some states. You see, the further north you go, the more night time you get during part of the year and the more daytime you get during the other part. To cite and extreme case of this, Alaska has almost no Day during half the year and no Night during half the year. So it makes sense for more northern states to make the switch twice a year. Of course the whole idea was conceived by our government in the north east. For those of us in the South Central US, it's a useless system that only causes problems.

However, aside from sleep problems studies have shown the switch into daylight savings time causes an increased number of heart attacks in the immediate weeks following (which is technically caused by a sleep problem too). There is an argument to eliminate it all together.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

Jade

Post by Jade » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 pm

So far, winter has over 50% of the votes...I wonder if that's mostly due to allergy issues.

I put my worse sleep in the winter down to, 1) much drier air than the rest of year--a certain amount of humidity seems to help prevent some slight congestion for me, and 2) the significant reduction in hours of daylight--which I really dislike; I'm amazed at the impact it has on my energy levels and wake cycles.

Unfortunately, to get closer to the equator, I would have to put up with too much heat in the summer time. And probably learn another language. Not quite ready to trade more sunshine for those 2 characteristics. Though some days it's really tempting!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Snow birds with apnea. Nice.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:11 pm

I seem to sleep better - more comfortably in the Spring.
I don't have to 'get warm' as in Winter, or 'cool of' as in Summer.

Mostly, I enjoy waking up to the sunshine hitting my face; great way to wake up, then just enjoy it for a few moments.
I must be driven by the sunshine, because I wake up 'awake', and happier during that season.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Arizona only has summer and winter and i prefer winter as allergy season is in early summer.

Also the a/c isn't running so i don't get bothered by the drone sound of two 4 tonne a/c units just outside my bedroom window.

In winter it is darker longer so the kids sleep in and don't get up at a 5am sunrise.

VVV

Post by VVV » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:55 pm

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."
.....................................V

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:08 pm

I put winter, but mostly because I really miss sleeping outside in a tube tent, in a really good down sleeping bag with both dogs and about a foot of fluffy snow on the tent, after having hiked 10 miles into the woods. Did you know you can actually HEAR snowflakes when they land? Amazing....

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:34 am

I have a mug of Chile, before bed each night, so I get a lot of seasons while I sleep. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire