RIP Tim Russert

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Outstanding information, Snoredog.....You really take the "take control of your health" to the max. Inspiring, thanks!

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

Pirateghost

Post by Pirateghost » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:47 pm

I read that his "calcium score" was over 200. On a whim, I had a scoring CT about 5 years ago when I was in New Orleans. It was real cool and I sat down with the radiologist as he read the scan. Mine was zero. Two years ago, I had another scoring CT, again zero. Can you tell I'm paranoid about my cardiac health? I was a have beer drinker and smoker for a good part of my life. Anyway, I've only been in CPAP about a year. About six months ago I started having PAC/PVC arrhythmia. Doc kind of hinted that it was ok, don't worry about it. I'm here to tell ya, I don't like anything weird going on with my heart. I asked to see a Cardio. She and I pretty much decided that cardiac cath was too dangerous because I didn't have classic signs such as chest pain. Alternative was Cardiac CTA. It's a CT scan on a 64 slice machine with contrast. The techs and cardio doc all told me it is as good as cardiac cath with exception of inability to fix a problem when found. Mine came out great with another calcium score of zero. Radiologist did say this:

Right ventricle is borderline dilated and somewhat bulged appearance at the RV outflow tract region often seen in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.

I don't think that most people are willing to push their doctors for testing. With all of his money, what happened to him should not have happened at all. If I had a calcium score of 200, I would have demanded a cardiac cath to look for blockages.

rwk

Post by rwk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks Pitrateghost...I didn't even know that such a thing existed...calcium score? I'll have to querry my doc about that. I learned at an early age, there are things in this world I can change, and things that I have no control over...if I get cancer, well, I can't really control that, but if I stay on top of the the things that I can control...cardio...in the long run, it means a maybe longer more productive life. I, too, had years of smoking and drinking. And, as conventional wisdom will tell us, cardio-vascularly...once a smoker...always a smoker. I gave up cigarrettes for cigars 7 years ago, and still imbide in a good scotch a couple of times a week, but no...I don't think you are paranoid about heart health....just concerned about being healthy and happy...and living your existense to the fullest. Thanks for th info.

roster

Post by roster » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Here is one of the better presentations I have seen on osa and cardiovascular disease and glucose metabolism:

http://professional.diabetes.org/Adv_Se ... esType=ALL

Go down about six papers to the one by Eric Olson. It is this one:

Webcast

Relevancy: 51,67%
Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Cardiometabolic Risk Factor
Speaker: Eric Olson
Meeting: 67th Annual Scientific Sessions (2007)
Session: Comorbidities Associated with Obesity and Insulin Resistance
I liked the story about the cab driver. Wish I had driven Eric about 30 years ago, but I guess he was only a wee lad then.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Source: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/1 ... ei=5087%0A

From NY Times blogs:
57.June 20th,
12:17 pm I am making this post as a huge fan of Tim Russert. With all of the comments about the prevention of coronary heart disease and those particular risk factors that were present in Tim Russert, the one glaring omission that I see from lay people and MDs alike is obstructive sleep apnea. There is no mention that Mr. Russert had obstructive sleep apnea but consider that one in five adults over the age of 30 have this disorder and that it is a significant independent risk factor for coronary artery disease. (30% of people with coronary artery disease have obstructive sleep apnea.)

This sleep-related breathing disorder is obesity related (not necessarily obesity dependent) and that the risk of having this disorder increases dramatically as the neck size for men hits 17 inches. It is hard to imagine that his neck size was less than that. Obstructive sleep apnea is also an independent risk factor for hypertension which he was reported to have. I vividly remember seeing a close-up photo of him showing a very high tongue position which is also a predisposing factor for obstructive sleep apnea.

A very significant part of my dental practice is devoted to managing sleep-related breathing disorders like obstructive sleep apnea with oral appliance therapy. I am consistently stunned how many patients we find in our existing dental practice with undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea who are seeing a cardiologist who has not asked their patient about the quality of their sleep or if they snore. I would be very curious to know if this disorder was ruled out in the years preceding Mr. Russert’s death.

I feel strongly that the world is a much better place because of Tim and I will miss his presence very much.

— Posted by David E. Lawler DDS
65.June 20th,
4:07 pm

An earlier poster suggests convincingly that sleep apnea was a possible unnamed risk factor. My husband had hypertension that required multiple medications that even then did not reduce to a desirable range. He had a battery tests including an angiogram. That result was, “Your 60 years of clean living have given you the cardiac arteries of an 18 year old.” One day I read that sleep apnea causes high blood pressure. Within two hours of going to the MD prescribed sleep study, he returned home with a CPAP. Gradually his HBP has come down and medications have been reduced.

— Posted by gallega

mindy

Post by mindy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:24 pm

I, too, immediately thought "sleep apnea" when I heard about Tim Russert. I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

On a side note, I've had heart failure (left ventricle problems) for 10 years and it had been gradually getting worse - a little bit every year. Started cpap last August and just had my annual echocardiogram last week .... it had improved!

I'm still amazed by how many things are affected by cpap therapy!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:01 am

Hi Snoredog and All,

Very good analogy of OSA related to CVD. Naicin is the best if not to control VLDL and raising HDL. A small doses, prevents pellagra (diarrhoea, dementia and death) besides that in food source like multigrains-breads, fibers from vegetable, fruits (Avocado rich in vitamin e ) with high vitamin C. All these combination support OSA and CVD suffers from strokes. Aspirin is another good source for blood clot control. If anyone if interested in OSA and CVD as both related intertwines tightly. These two books are excellent medical sorce to details understanding of teh OSA and CVD.

For those are OSA and VCD suffers high recommended to read both books as listed below.

1) OSA diagnosis and treatment by Khusida from Stanford University.
2) therapeutic Strategist in cardioVascular Riks by I.M. Graham - R.B. D'Agostiona.

Mckooi

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:22 am

Source: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show ... 9238.shtml
PITTSBURGH, June 26 SCA-prevention-tactic

Tim Russert's Gift: A National Discourse on Sudden Cardiac Arrest

PITTSBURGH, June 26 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Reports indicate that NBC journalist Tim Russert died from sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) resulting from a heart attack. Russert's sudden death may help save other lives by raising awareness about the critical importance of calling 911, giving cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and using an automated external defibrillator (AED) immediately when SCA strikes.

"Perhaps Tim's final gift to the nation was to raise awareness about sudden cardiac arrest and the simple actions anyone can take to save a life," said Bobby V. Khan, MD, PhD, Board Chairman of the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation and Assistant Professor of Medicine/Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta.

About 500 others in the U.S. suffered SCA that fateful day. Most of them died. Their families, too, are in mourning. The 30 people who survived have come to understand they are alive and well because Good Samaritans at the scene called 911, gave CPR and used a defibrillator within minutes of their collapse.

Russert's death may not have been preventable given his extensive underlying coronary artery disease. But for tens of thousands of people who suffer SCA each year in the U.S., death does not have to be a permanent condition. The victim can be brought back to life if someone nearby has the courage, competence and confidence to act without delay.

Whether SCA is caused by a heart attack, a heart rhythm disorder, severe heart failure, an enlarged heart, sleep apnea or lightning, the lifesaving actions are the same: Call 911, give CPR and use the nearest AED. If these actions are taken within three to five minutes of collapse, the nation's survival rate of just six out of 100 victims could double or even quadruple in no time.

Perhaps the best way to honor Tim Russert and his family is to learn how to give CPR and use an AED. And to remember this: when it comes to SCA, your actions can mean the difference between staying dead and staying alive.

About the SCA Foundation:
The Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation, a national nonprofit organization, aims to raise awareness about sudden cardiac arrest and help save more lives. The SCA Foundation maintains a national database of survivors and experts available to speak with the media.

For more information: http://www.sca-aware.org.

SOURCE Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:29 am

What!!!

I never knew Sudden Cardiac Arrest could be caused by snoring? Whooda thunk it!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:32 am

Source: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2008/ ... shine.html
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Dr. Bill Blanchet: A ray of sunshine

Another heated discussion is ongoing at The Heart.org, this one about Tim Russert's untimely death: Media mulls Russert's death as cardiologists weigh in

Although I posted a couple of brief comments there, I quickly lost patience with the tone of many of the other respondents. Should you choose to read the comments, you will see that many still cling to old notions like heart attack is inevitable, defibrillators should be more widely available, "vulnerable" plaques cannot be identified before heart attacks, etc.

I quickly lose patience with this sort of outdated rhetoric. However, our good friend, Dr. Bill Blanchet of Boulder, Colorado, has a far stronger stomach for this than I do.

Here, a sample of his wonderfully persuasive comments:

Heart disease cannot be stopped but we can certainly do better!

Goals we must achieve if we hope to solve the Rube Goldberg of coronary disease:

1. Find something more reliable than Framingham risk factors to determine who is at risk. Framingham risk factors are wrong more often than they are right. If you are comfortable treating 40% of the patients destined to have heart attacks, continue to rely on “traditional” risk factors only.

2. Treat to new standards beyond NCEP/ATP-III. These accepted standards prevent at best 40% of heart attacks in patients treated. This is unacceptable, and arguably why Tim is dead today! Why prevention protocols emphasize LDL and more or less ignore HDL, triglycerides and underemphasize blood pressure eludes me.

3. Motivate patients to participate in coronary prevention. Saying “you need to get exercise and lose weight” is not adequate motivation, it hasn't worked to date and probably won't work tomorrow. If you are satisfied saying it is "the patient's fault for not listening to me" so be it, that excuse doesn't work for me!

Currently “good results” consist of being able to convince 50% of patients at risk by traditional risk factors to participate in prevention and hopefully 30% will be treated to goal. Of those treated to goal, 60% of the heart attacks will still happen anyway. Mathematically we can hope to prevent <10% of heart attacks with this approach!

I have personally found a solution to this dilemma. It goes like this:

1. EBT-CAC [electron-beam tomography coronary artery calcium] is the most reliable predictor of coronary events period, the end! Anyone who disagrees has not objectively read the literature. The only test more predictive than the initial calcium score is the follow up score 12 to 36 months later. EBT predicted Tim Russert’s event 10 years before it happened; passing his stress test gave him inappropriate reassurance 2 months before he died. If only Tim had the benefit of a second EBT sometime over the last 10 years he and his doctor would have known that what they were doing was insufficient and improvements could have been made.

2. I treat to the standard of stable calcified plaque by EBT (<15% annualized progression, preferably <1% annualized progression). This correlates with a very low incidence of coronary events. Even the ACC/AHA 2007 position paper agrees with this. This is accomplished with aspirin, omega-3 fatty acids, diet, exercise, weight control, smoking cessation, treatment of sleep apnea, stress reduction, control of HDL, triglycerides and LDL cholesterol and excellent control of BP and insulin resistance plus the recent addition of vit D-3. Meeting an LDL goal of 70 is easy but prevents only a minority of events, treating to the goal of stable CAC by EBT is a challenge but when achieved, the reward is near elimination of heart attacks and ischemic strokes. This has indeed been my personal experience!

3. A picture of plaque in the coronary artery is a monumental motivator for patients to get on board to make things better. The demonstration of progression of that plaque despite our initial therapies gets all but a few suicidal patients interested in doing a better job. I think that similar motivational results can be had with carotid imaging; the difference is that CAC by EBT is clinically validated as being a much stronger predictor of events with progression and non-events with stability than any ultrasound test including IVUS.

Wow! I couldn't have said it better.

Sadly, I doubt even Dr. Blanchet's persuasive words will do much to convince my colleagues on this forum. And the cardiologists on this forum are likely among the more inquisitive and open-minded. The ones stuck in the cath lab day and night, or implanting defibrillators, are even less inclined to entertain such conversations.

While I admire Dr. Blanchet's energy for continuing to argue with my colleagues, the lesson I take is: Take charge of health yourself. If you wait for your doctor to do it for you, you could be in the same situation as poor Tim Russert. This is an age when your physician should facilitate your success, not prevent it or leave you wallowing in ignorance.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:58 am

Great link Rooster!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:57 pm

.....While I admire Dr. Blanchet's energy for continuing to argue with my colleagues, the lesson I take is: Take charge of health yourself. If you wait for your doctor to do it for you, you could be in the same situation as poor Tim Russert. This is an age when your physician should facilitate your success, not prevent it or leave you wallowing in ignorance.
So the medical profession is letting us die of heart attacks when they could prevent it. Instead they prefer to sell us $20 billion annually in cholesterol-lowering drugs! Easy damn job: just write prescriptions and collect a big salary.

Just like I went to them (seven doctors) for six years with symptoms of severe osa and the morons told me it was job stress - just slow down, work less, travel less, eat right, exercise and use good sleep hygiene. How about a sleep study? I had to finally figure it out myself.

The damn problem is we have a perverted market system that doesn't require docs to be competitive. The patient doesn't think he is paying the bills. He thinks third-party payers like his insurance company or the government (Medicare/Medicaid) pay the bills.

If we can get to a market based system of health care then we will be careful how we spend our health dollars. We will get educated and the docs that don't get in line will be out of business and working at damn WalMart.

Science needs to hurry and catch up with Snoredog.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Source: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2008/ ... shine.html
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Dr. Bill Blanchet: A ray of sunshine

........ This is accomplished with aspirin, omega-3 fatty acids, diet, exercise, weight control, smoking cessation, treatment of sleep apnea, stress reduction, control of HDL, triglycerides and LDL cholesterol and excellent control of BP and insulin resistance plus the recent addition of vit D-3. .....
The dear Dr. Blanchett mixes up treatments and outcomes in this sentence. Anyone care to research further and shed some light on his treatments?

Aspirin - dosage?

Omega 3 - source and dosage?

Treatment for "control of HDL, triglycerides and LDL cholesterol and excellent control of BP"?

Vitamin D-3 - Source and dosage?

How expensive is EBT-CAC? Can I just call my GP's office and ask him to order the test?

Thanks.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:49 pm

PROFESSOR SNOREDOG -

Once again, I am in awe of your knowledge, and ability to share it in understandable terms.

Seriously, have you considered writing a book?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, arteries, et al.

p.s. To address you as "Dr. Snoredog" would have been insufficient.

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Calcium scoring (ebt-cac)- $149 at my local imaging center. No script needed as most insurance will not cover it.