cpap sucks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpapsucks

cpap sucks

Post by cpapsucks » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Hey guys,

Ok, doc sent me in for a sleep study because I have an enlarged heart. It functions normally and no sign of heart disease so he thinks apnea is the problem. I get diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. They give me the headgear and nasal mask and it starts to rub a sore on the bridge of my nose after the second night. I switch to the, not sure what you call it, the piece that has two holes that go right over your nostrils. That feels better but its still a pain in the ass. Everytime I shift or roll from laying on my back to on my side the seal breaks, blows air on my face and I wake up. Seems like I got more sleep before I was wearing the mask. Not to mention on top of the fact that I never really felt tired before I was diagnosed and the machine doesnt seem to do anything for me. It's only been a week since I've had this thing and I hate it. Im 31 years old, by the way, male and about 6ft 280lbs. My wife says I snore but I may go weeks or even longer without snoring. Ahhh..who knows. This blows! They're all qwacks, I guess thats why they say "practicing" medicine! Im losing weight now, down from 300. Im hoping I can chunk that piece of cpap crap soon.

This concludes my rant. Please pass the gravy.

Nick

scrapper

Re: cpap sucks

Post by scrapper » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 pm

So why are you here?

It doesn't appear that you want any help. We're all about trying to help people be successful here. When you want that, let us know.

Death sucks too........choose your poison

Attitude is everything......

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

cpapsucks

Post by cpapsucks » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 pm

scrapper wrote:So why are you here?

It doesn't appear that you want any help. We're all about trying to help people be successful here. When you want that, let us know.

Here to read the posts and to rant. My attitude was good until I got the mask. I thought these things were suppose to be comfortable. I thought I was suppose to feel like a million bucks after using the machine.

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 pm

Here to read the posts and to rant.
Feel free to read and learn----for that you've come to the right place. One of the best places to start is at the top in the Wiki.

Rant, get it out of your system.....and then move on and change your attitude. You do go through the same stages of grief with cpap, as with the loss of anything else. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

Ranting, in your very first posts, isn't the best way to make friends however........but welcome to the board.

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:13 pm

cpapsucks wrote:Here to read the posts and to rant. My attitude was good until I got the mask. I thought these things were suppose to be comfortable. I thought I was suppose to feel like a million bucks after using the machine.
There's comfortable, and then there's comfortable.

Sleeping with a mask isn't going to be the same as sleeping without the mask, that's for certain. It's kind of like adjusting to sleeping on a different bed or with a different pillow.

You can help us help you -- if, that is, you want help, rather than just wanting to rant -- by registering and filling out the information on your machine and which mask(s) you are using. Many people have great ideas about making this therapy work so that you will feel like a million bucks. Hey, remember -- you didn't develop this problem over night. The results of having it won't go away over night, either.

My attitude was horrible until I got the mask. Getting diagnosed with what I was told was complex apnea within six months of have cancer surgery was not my idea of entertainment. I'm claustrophobic, and I didn't want a mask. Any mask.

BUT: I decided that if this was the diagnosis, I would find a way to deal with it. There was no point in going through the therapy if I wasn't going to put my absolute best into it. So I did. And yeah, I had the mask leaks and everything else. Thanks to the good folks in this Forum, I learned how to handle it and make my therapy work for me.

And now... off to bed, with my Bipap and my mask and my brandy keg chin strap... for a solid night's sleep. G'night!

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:16 pm

I agree with Scrapper. People like me come here because we are new and want to make our Pap use comfortable and effective. If you fill out your profile, maybe some of the people here can help you. They have helped me a lot so far!

jules

Post by jules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:47 pm

cpapsucks wrote: Im hoping I can chunk that piece of cpap crap soon.
Nick
You can chunk that piece of crap whenever you want but you got to pay the consequences for doing it. If you were told if you lost weight you wouldn't need it, well, that is a line docs throw at us and, well, sorry buster, CPAP is for life for most of us.

So either trash it now or make it your friend. Your choice, your life. Oh, and btw do you have paid up life insurance? You are going to need it if you trash it.

So give it a nice name and treat it with respect and hang around and get this POS cpap to work FOR you. No it won't be like sleeping without it and in time I hope you can find out it is a hell of a lot better than sleeping without it.

End of my rant...... well maybe for a few minutes.

montana user

Post by montana user » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:55 pm

you know another possible option ( would help to know what pressure you have on the CPAP) MIGHT and I say might because its still new, but a dental device. I am currently working with a dentist here in town who has a dental device for people with mild apnea. But if your pressure is say 7 or higher, I don't think the dental device would work right. There are tons of differents masks too, keep trying till you find one that works.

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:57 pm

If you haven't noticed, you're not going to find support for your current attitude here.......hope that the new day brings a new attitude for you.

Despite your less than auspicious beginnings here, we are willing to help.

You'll find kindred spirits, understanding beings, encouraging souls, and caring new friends on this board who will help you if you want......but it's sometimes dished with a big helping of tough love.

Start over, introduce yourself, go into the control panel on the top left, click the top tab for Profile, and the left tab for Edit Equipment. That's a good way to start here........BUT only if you want help.

(and I suspect you do, or your wouldn't have found this board in the first place)

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:07 am

cpapsucks wrote:..This concludes my rant. Please pass the gravy...
Welcome aboard Nick! Great info & folks here. Rants understood, we've all been there, got the t-shirt too! Yeah, it blows...literally . But hey, it's better'n death! Go register your equipment and select TEXT. Got questions? Complaints? Likely one of us has been there & might have some helpful suggestions. Losing wt is working to reduce my pressure...might still need it when I lose all my excess wt, who knows, but less pressure makes my CPAP therapy easier.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:10 am

Hi Nick,
Know exactly how you feel, and I'm sure lots of others do to, if not all, most of us, hate our cpap when we first began. Your welcome to read through some of my posts from when I first began cpap, I desired to toss the cpap in the trash can too, expected miracle results, and was stubborn because cpap was not what I expected. So buddy, your not alone.

cpap is love/hate relationship. I hate the darn thing, but it keeps me alive. With the support of the forum, I made many adjustments that took several weeks, it was no piece of cake, let me tell you. I slept worse, I felt worse, I was tired of waking up, making adjustments but through it all, cpap was keeping me alive. I whined, I complained, I vented, but each night when I put on that mask, I had peace of mind. I was going to breathe all night, not a few times per minute.

With a cpap, you are being given a gift of life, use it wisely, and you will benefit.

Now many weeks later, I'm in love with my cpap/qauttro, can't be without em.

So it's fine to vent buddy, we are here to help, if you have any questions, to make life easier, using cpap

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:08 am

When I first went on CPAP I wanted to throw the whole thing out the window. Having to deal with the worst DME in the world was no help. I would venture to say that if you give it a little time and read some of the posts here you might learn something.
I went to my Cardiologist last tuesday, I had had a Sleep Study done on the 14th of last month....he had received a copy of the study. He commented on the results and said that I was diagnosed with Severe OSA....he was very happy that they were changing the settings on my BiPap machine.
Good Luck
Welcome to the world of Hose Worship!
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

mars

Post by mars » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:37 am

montana user wrote:you know another possible option ( would help to know what pressure you have on the CPAP) MIGHT and I say might because its still new, but a dental device. I am currently working with a dentist here in town who has a dental device for people with mild apnea. But if your pressure is say 7 or higher, I don't think the dental device would work right. There are tons of differents masks too, keep trying till you find one that works.

Hi Montana User

You are right that sometimes mild sleep apnea can be treated with a dental device, some people think up to 20 AHi.

However, what you say above implies that pressure is related to AHi. As far as I know it is not, and it would be his AHi that might be too high for a dental appliance to work.

But cpapsucks has not told us his pressure or sleep study AHi.

cheers

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:50 am

cpapsucks wrote:

Here to read the posts and to rant. My attitude was good until I got the mask. I thought these things were suppose to be comfortable. I thought I was suppose to feel like a million bucks after using the machine.

Well Bro join the club - it just isn't quite as easy as they (who ever they are) say.
It takes commitment & effort - tell me any major undertaking that doesn't ?.

Let me say that I can understand anyone feeling frustrated with this whole gig. But
fact is - it is kind of something that bites us seriously & all the denial / resentment
just doesn't get rid of it. So be prepared for a barrage of (support / challenge) from
the others here who have crossed the Rubicon & paid the ferryman.

I really wish you the best of goodwill in coming to grips with this - it is NOT easy.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

montana user

Post by montana user » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 am

mars wrote:
montana user wrote:you know another possible option ( would help to know what pressure you have on the CPAP) MIGHT and I say might because its still new, but a dental device. I am currently working with a dentist here in town who has a dental device for people with mild apnea. But if your pressure is say 7 or higher, I don't think the dental device would work right. There are tons of differents masks too, keep trying till you find one that works.

Hi Montana User

You are right that sometimes mild sleep apnea can be treated with a dental device, some people think up to 20 AHi.

However, what you say above implies that pressure is related to AHi. As far as I know it is not, and it would be his AHi that might be too high for a dental appliance to work.

But cpapsucks has not told us his pressure or sleep study AHi.

cheers

Mars
Yes you are correct! In fact I hesitate to mention the dental device, as I have not seen much reserach on it yet. The dentist I am working with also thinks it will work for mild-moderate apnea. I have had many mild patients walk out of the lab on a very high pressure! So the term mild, moderate,severe is not an indicator of how much CPAP pressure you will need.

But we do have a few people lined up for sleep studies, and if they are mild, they will be fitted with a dental device, and brought back for another full sleep study to see if it works! I will keep anyone interested posted as we do them!