Did I almost kill myself?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
1rascal

Did I almost kill myself?

Post by 1rascal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:34 am

I'm a regular lurker around here for a couple of years. I have been working getting my AHI and AHI down. Last night I couldn't sleep. I was in a lot of pain from my legs so I got up and took and extra Percocet and lunesta. This morning I woke up with a terrible headache and when I looked at the numbers I couldn't believe it- VT 420-780 (never goes over 600 and that is rare), RR 4-8 (usually normal RR), AHI 81.1 and AI 73.4. This is the first time I had more apneas than hypopneas.

Samaniego

Re: Did I almost kill myself?

Post by Samaniego » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:53 am

What shows the leak line?
Doctor write: Age 42. Diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea AHI 21, mild oxygen desaturations, moderate snorer. Overall health good.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:08 am

Obviously the meds impacted things but you know what...it might have been a partialy ugly night anyway due to the extreme leg pain and partially the pills.

Regardless...you know you shouldn't mix sleeping pills with opiates. Your respiration rate got depressed a bit more that I would want to see. That's the bad thing that can happen when we mix stuff like that. I wouldn't be doing that again if I were you. Of course, I am sure you already realize that.
You are lucky that the worst is just a CO20 headache which will fade.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

thud

Post by thud » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:35 pm

I used to take Vicodin and Ambien at bedtime. My AHI's were high, in the mid 20's. I discovered that if I don't take the vicodin, my ahi's are 5 or less. As a test, I took vicodin and ambicn for 3 nights in a row. All 3 nights high AHI. I did this same test 3 times over the course of 2 months. I stopped the Vicodin and they dropped. I still use the ambien. For me its apparently the pain pill vicodin at bedtime that makes my AHI go high. If you can tolerate it for a couple nights maybe drop the perc and see what happens to your AHI.

..........Thud