Wow what a Wonderful Forum!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Trixey

Wow what a Wonderful Forum!

Post by Trixey » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 am

Another Newbie here reporting in

I was diagnosed two weeks ago that I too have sleep apnea, and today is the big Mask Fitting Day!

Well like most of the newbie postings I have been going through a wide verity of emotions, but “Thanks” to this Wonderful site I don’t feel so much like a “deer in head lights” going to this appointment.

I am sure I will have questions as I go through the learning process and except the change in my lifestyle. I am amazed at the kindness and helpfulness of so many. It makes me look forward to making New Friends that understand what I am going through.

Gerald

Re: Wow what a Wonderful Forum!

Post by Gerald » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:40 am

Welcome, Trixey.....

You'll do well.

Just remember to question everything you're told....and realize that you must take charge of your own therapy. You can't depend on the "experts". Just use good old "common sense"....and lots of experimentation.

if you remember the old "Coyote & Road-Runner" cartoons, the coyote represents apnea. You're the road-runner. Turn the whole therapy process into a sort of "game".

Don't let the coyote win.

You can do it!.

G

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 am

I hope you've had a chance to read the info on what to know before you meet the DME.
Hate the thought of another person getting stuck with a no-data 'brick'!
Having detailed data, including leakage, really makes a huge difference!

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions. DO NOT lable your post with anything referring to a stupid question. There are no studpid questions unless they are questions that remain unanswered because you failed to ask them. Good luck. Your mask is probably the most important of all and will affect therapy outcome more than just about any other factor. If you see this before you go, be sure to try the mask on while laying down in a position you usually sleep in. You'd be amazed at how that changes the fit.
Trixey wrote:Another Newbie here reporting in

I was diagnosed two weeks ago that I too have sleep apnea, and today is the big Mask Fitting Day!

Well like most of the newbie postings I have been going through a wide verity of emotions, but “Thanks” to this Wonderful site I don’t feel so much like a “deer in head lights” going to this appointment.

I am sure I will have questions as I go through the learning process and except the change in my lifestyle. I am amazed at the kindness and helpfulness of so many. It makes me look forward to making New Friends that understand what I am going through.

wittymomma

Post by wittymomma » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi!! I am a few days "new" too! I Love this site as well! SO many great things you can find on here! My Dr was rather impressed with all I knew, and I owe it all to this site!!

if you need to know anything, just ask! (I changed the title to my "new" post so I can keep asking things in the SAME thread LOL)

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:02 pm

I hope you read Janknitz's blog http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what-y ... me-part-i/, or other things on how to keep from being screwed by the DME.

Otherwise, you may be like a lamb being led to the slaughter.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Trixey

Post by Trixey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Thank you for the warm welcomes and advise from each of you.

Things went well. I have Kaiser coverage and ended up meeting with a Respiratory Therapist. He set me up with the ResMed Swift FX for her. (this is was what I wanted). He sent me off with a loaner machine for a week and then I return next friday to go over the first weeks readings. I glad to have a loaner and the extra time to get educated and advise from everyone.

Thank you for being there!

Trixey!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:39 pm

I second Grammy: There are no stupid questions--just stupid answers (we've heard them all--it's why we're here)

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:43 pm

welcome to the forum!! Ask bunches of questions. We are here to help...

thud

Post by thud » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm

I've gotten loads of useful information from the great users of this forum. You will too. Getting the right mask may take some time and trials. I have 5 of them over 3 months and ended up using the Swift LT nasal pillows.

..........Thud

islandboy5150

Post by islandboy5150 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:18 pm

I would have to respectfully disagree that there is no such thngs as a stupid question, tounge in cheek of course - it's just that this is the place you want to ask it! We don't grade questions, ...or do we? Hmmmmm. Welcome to the forum! And, fire away!

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 pm

islandboy5150 wrote:I would have to respectfully disagree that there is no such thngs as a stupid question, tounge in cheek of course - it's just that this is the place you want to ask it! We don't grade questions, ...or do we?
I agree we don't grade questions, but some of us do pass judgment on the attitude that seemingly comes through once in awhile. But thinking back, the attitude issue is almost always based on the declaratory statements that are made, not on the questions.

Questions asked sincerely,, no matter how elementary, will be answered sincerely. Questions couched in statements with an attitude problem, well, who knows what the response may be.