Insomnia and Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM. Anybody else?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sir NoddinOff

Insomnia and Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM. Anybody else?

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Let's have some fun. Back in the day, very late at night, I remember listening to Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM radio show (currently featuring George Noory). That's where I learned about Pugsy's Aliens, Conspiracy Theory galore, Mel's Hole, Black Helicopters, Area 51, Whitley Strieber, Linda Moulton Howe, Crop Circles. No wonder I couldn't sleep! Oh yeah, late night AM radio - I sometimes think it's the reason I suffered from constant bouts of insomnia! What's your late night poison? Cable news, 2AM info-mercials, Jack Daniels, Little Debbie's snacks, midnight rambling, cheesy romance novels? I promise... it's just between you and me.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

midnight_skulker

Re: Insomnia and Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM. Anybody else?

Post by midnight_skulker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Back in the day before I retired I would lie awake many nights listening to Art Bell. Now that I'm retired I go to sleep within a few minutes of going to bed, even with all my bipap paraphernalia. I'm usually asleep before the late night news, much less "Coast to Coast AM". However, I do wake up at dawn. When I was working and I woke up at dawn, I knew I would be late to work.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:38 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Let's have some fun. Back in the day, very late at night, I remember listening to Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM radio show (currently featuring George Noory). That's where I learned about Pugsy's Aliens, Conspiracy Theory galore, Mel's Hole, Black Helicopters, Area 51, Whitley Strieber, Linda Moulton Howe, Crop Circles. No wonder I couldn't sleep! Oh yeah, late night AM radio - I sometimes think it's the reason I suffered from constant bouts of insomnia! What's your late night poison? Cable news, 2AM info-mercials, Jack Daniels, Little Debbie's snacks, midnight rambling, cheesy romance novels? I promise... it's just between you and me.
God, I wish. LOL.

I can barely stay awake after dinner.

49er

policebox

Post by policebox » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:13 am

Art was the cause of many late nights for me. I found him one lonely night in 1999, while driving between Austin, TX and Columbus, OH, when I was in a heartbroken and low-point of my life. Art had the kind of personality and voice that could make listening to him reading a VCR instruction manual interesting. I miss him.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:01 am

As a teen and young adult, my "poison" was reading in bed. Seriously. I'd start reading and not quit until it was light out side.

I remember staying awake all night one night in high school reading The Shining. I remember it getting to be around 3:00 or 4:00 AM and being too scared to go to sleep so I continued to keep reading and continued to get more and more frightened. I finally finished the book some time well after dawn and still couldn't bring myself to go to sleep. The Shining so scared the daylights out of me that it was the last book I ever read by Stephen King.

jtmarten

Post by jtmarten » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:42 am

I stream ShoutCast on my Eubo M400 (HD-based media player w/WiFi). There are several 'stations' that play the old Art shows. I used to be a contract driver for the Post Office, carrying bulk mail from main sorting facilities to satellite stations in the middle of the night. Great show for keeping you awake on the road.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:47 pm

robysue wrote:As a teen and young adult, my "poison" was reading in bed. Seriously. I'd start reading and not quit until it was light out side. I remember staying awake all night one night in high school reading The Shining. I remember it getting to be around 3:00 or 4:00 AM and being too scared to go to sleep so I continued to keep reading and continued to get more and more frightened. I finally finished the book some time well after dawn and still couldn't bring myself to go to sleep. The Shining so scared the daylights out of me that it was the last book I ever read by Stephen King.

Stephen King is a bad bad man. He kept me awake alot of nights in a row. Not only awake, but awake and scared! Wonder if I can sue him... and Art Bell? And Johnny Carson, Letterman, maybe Jay Leno. Hey, I could get rich!

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm

My husband and I laugh about how George Noory can keep a straight face and straight voice when commenting on some of those weird topics. He is so good at remaining neutral and non-offensive to everyone.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi,

One of downsides of call in shows are the occasional nutty callers. I was always amazed at how respectful Art was, and how he always found a way to get something of value out of each caller. He is a master at that. George is pretty good, too, but doesn't quite have the science background that Art has, but I do still really enjoy the show. I used to like the Dreamland show even better, but that was discontinued many years ago. They still run old Art Bell shows on XM radio under the name "Somewhere In Time". I get a kick out of the shows from the 1990s where people were making predictions about the future. None of that gloom and doom came true, and none of them predicted 9/11, the most significant event in US history since the moon landing in 1969.

-john-