Cigarette smell in 2nd hand ResMed Airsense 10

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
beau_44

Cigarette smell in 2nd hand ResMed Airsense 10

Post by beau_44 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:12 pm

I know this topic has been discussed a lot but I am wondering if purchasing and using a SOClean sanitizing machine would help alleviate the residual (light) cigarette smell that this used CPAP machine has? I have never been a smoker so it really bothers me. I bought the machine used with only 400 hours on it. (Yes, I learned my lesson not to purchase used CPAPs, but the damage is done and I'm trying to make the best of it now.) I've tried spraying some original 'Ozium' on the filter and running the machine for a few hours at a time which did seem to reduce the odor some. I am using a completely new mask and hose. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stom

Re: Cigarette smell in 2nd hand ResMed Airsense 10

Post by Stom » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Not if the odor is in the machine itself. SoClean is not used on the machine, only the replaceable accessories, such as the humidifier tank, hose and mask. And those you should should probably replace anyway if they are used.

And I don't think the lesson is necessarily not to purchase used CPAPs but rather to know what to look for and ask about when buying a used CPAP. Secondwind CPAP, for instance, will not buy CPAPs that have been used around smokers.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 pm

beau_44 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:12 pm
I know this topic has been discussed a lot but I am wondering if purchasing and using a SOClean sanitizing machine would help alleviate the residual (light) cigarette smell that this used CPAP machine has? I have never been a smoker so it really bothers me. I bought the machine used with only 400 hours on it. (Yes, I learned my lesson not to purchase used CPAPs, but the damage is done and I'm trying to make the best of it now.) I've tried spraying some original 'Ozium' on the filter and running the machine for a few hours at a time which did seem to reduce the odor some. I am using a completely new mask and hose. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
No, the soclean won't do anything for the machine.

All my machines have been bought used, only one of them had a smoke smell... which I eventually got rid of, by washing the silicone inside the machine.... repeatedly.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:28 pm

beau_44 wrote:
You could try running the machine outside or at an open window for several hours for a couple days

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:48 pm

I was able to get tobacco smoke out of a machine and mask by sealing them in a large
airtight box; then placing cotton balls inside the box (not touching) soaked in Ozium.
I applied Ozium twice, as smoke exposure was only 5 days.
Try running the machine on manual for a couple hours while each application of Ozium evaporates.
Replace the hose, water tank, and filters--easier than trying to de-stink them.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Stom wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:14 pm

And I don't think the lesson is necessarily not to purchase used CPAPs but rather to know what to look for and ask about when buying a used CPAP. Secondwind CPAP, for instance, will not buy CPAPs that have been used around smokers.

I agree. The first used machine I bought had a slight smell, not cigarette, but not something I like. The price was good, so I was able to sell it to somebody who didn't mind. I learned the next time to bring my mask and hose and test it before buying. No problems with this one.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Jdizzle

Post by Jdizzle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:16 am

I just bought a used one that had some cigarette smell in it- same as you, I'm a non smoker and it was irritating. I put a few drops of vinegar on the filter, and a small tray of vinegar right next to the inlet(the whole machine kinda hidden in a corner so it ONLY pulled air from directly over the tray) and let it run for about 4 hours. I then swapped the tray to a Febreze style solution, and got the filter slightly damp with it and let that run for a couple hours. I didn't bother replacing the hose and water reservoir, and probly 90% of the smell is gone. The only remaining spot it's detectable is the reservoir, so I'll be replacing that and grabbing a spare hose in case it comes back. At this point, I can run it for 10-20minutes before putting it on and it clears it up and I don't notice it.

So If I were you I'd order a new reservoir and hose, and do the above through the old hose and reservoir before swapping to a new one and seeing if it's still detectable. (my hose was new and just the residual smell contaminated it).

No matter what you do, make sure the last smell you run through it is pleasant haha. And don't spray directly into the inlet, and especially not while the machine is on and you're using it.

RonS

Post by RonS » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 am

I bought a machine that had been used by a smoker. The machine smelled of smoke and febreeze. I asked if there was any smokers in the house denied, denied denied, then about the third time I wrote them after I got the machine they said "I only smoke outdoors". Bastards...

I cleaned that machine many times, and ran that machine hundreds of hours out in my garage and it never cleared the smell completely. Never. I used it for thousands of hours and on its last day it smelled lightly of smoke.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am

I have bought several used machines, but I make sure to do it in person. Take my mask and hose to the meet up and test it myself. The one I bought from someone on here, it did not smell of smoke, ran great, but had animal hair in it. Don't think I'd ever buy one without testing it in person.

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:12 pm

My mother used to put a hunk of charcoal in water in the kitchen to eliminate cooking smells. Other times she would put out a small bowl of vinegar to elimi ate odours.

If you run out of solutions, maybe you could try putting a vinegar/water solution in the reservoir and let it run for a bit. You would have to wash everything afterwards and run again to clear the vinegar odour. It's just an idea if you can't find anything else that works.

The charcoal thing goes back to summer barbeques when we used charcoal. Health food stores sell activated charcoal. I assume it is in a powdered form because I have heard of brushing your teeth with it, or swallowing it for some obscure reason. But I would worry about that clogging up the inner workings of the machine if you put it in the reservoir with water.

Let us know if anything works for you. Sorry you got ripped off.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Charcoal is a great idea.
Briquets are good, but aquarium charcoal is best, though more expensive.
Every time I smell the stench of tobacco smoke, and ill thoughts arrive,
I remember that the death penalty is already in effect--even though it is slow.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:10 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am
I have bought several used machines, but I make sure to do it in person. Take my mask and hose to the meet up and test it myself.
I suggest, instead of the mask and hose, (because air blowing through is going to dilute the smell).. instead, give a strong sniff at both the intake and outlet of the machine... if there's smoke in there, you'll smell it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RonS

Post by RonS » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:49 pm

You'd need to put the charcoal on the output side to filter the air before the nose. No?

I don't think it can clean the machine. Unless I'm missing something, which I might very well be.

Ionized air might have a shot at it, but it also might destroy internal parts of the machine. I'd have that same level of concern using another chemical like vinegar.

It's a really crappy situation.

beau_44

Post by beau_44 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 pm
beau_44 wrote:

All my machines have been bought used, only one of them had a smoke smell... which I eventually got rid of, by washing the silicone inside the machine.... repeatedly.
May I ask what was in the solution you used on the silicone? I should have added that this is not my primary machine so I can take my time cleaning it up. Thanks for your suggestion.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 pm

beau_44 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:00 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 pm
beau_44 wrote:

May I ask what was in the solution you used on the silicone? I should have added that this is not my primary machine so I can take my time cleaning it up. Thanks for your suggestion.
I disassembled the machine, the hard plastic parts, and the sound deadening foam inside were all pretty easy to destink... the silicone was the problem, I ended up soaking the silicone parts in a variety of things, what seemed to work was a solution of oxyclean, and multiple trips through the dishwasher.

The silicone was yellow, and after soaking for an extended period in oxyclean... it was clear again.

Since doing that, I've learned about boiling silicone mask parts, in baking soda... and have to wonder if that would work on the internal parts too.

viewtopic/t74686/Boiling-Stuff-Part-2.html