Ears feel plugged up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
m1k2s3

Ears feel plugged up

Post by m1k2s3 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Lately my ears feel plugged up when I wake up in the morning. I can't figure out why this is happening but my husband suggested that maybe the pressure on my machine is too high. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I've been on CPAP for a long time and the last time the pressure was changed on my machine was about 3 years ago.

Wulfman...

Re: Ears feel plugged up

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:48 pm

m1k2s3 wrote:Lately my ears feel plugged up when I wake up in the morning. I can't figure out why this is happening but my husband suggested that maybe the pressure on my machine is too high. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I've been on CPAP for a long time and the last time the pressure was changed on my machine was about 3 years ago.
At a pressure of 9 cm. (in your profile), that doesn't sound likely. Have you checked with an ENT? Are your ears actually plugged up? I remember a discussion years ago about ear wax and whether the users noticed more of it since starting CPAP therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:13 am

Your ears feel plugged up because your eustachian tubes are plugged. These are the tubes that equalize the pressure between your middle ear, and the atmosphere. Your CPAP is introducing 9 cm of water pressure (the equivalent of dipping your head 9 cm under the water), it is seeing its way into your ears, and not equalizing out when you awaken and remove the mask. This amount of pressure is nothing to worry about, but you probably have a little sinus congestion. Use a nasal rinse for a few days, and see if it helps. If it doesn't, you can always take a trip to your doctor so that he/she can have a look.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:20 pm

I also used to suffer the problem of having my eustachian tubes not able to handle my CPAP's moderate pressures. A few years ado I started using silicone ear plugs every night (mostly due to the neighbor's barking dogs). That really seemed to knock the problem out... can't say why exactly. You can buy them at any drug store or online; I like the Mack's brand. They are reusable for several nights. I'm happy to say that they have pretty much solved the clogging up of my ears, in the morning or otherwise. Note: I'm not talking about earwax BTW.

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/ea ... pair-value

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:48 pm

I too have this problem, even changing positions in bed sets it off. It's a bother but not as bad as stopping breathing, also if I blow my nose are comes out my ears. When I get up my ears clear up un a few minutes, so it's not a earthshaking problem, for me. I have conjestion problems 24/7 365 days a year, that's life.

Too old to worry about the small stuff
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:34 am

I too have ear problems... but it's not related to xpap usage. Nasal rinsing actually makes my ear problems worse. For mine I have to see an ENT.

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:37 am

Goofproof wrote:I too have this problem, even changing positions in bed sets it off. It's a bother but not as bad as stopping breathing, also if I blow my nose are comes out my ears. When I get up my ears clear up un a few minutes, so it's not a earthshaking problem, for me. I have conjestion problems 24/7 365 days a year, that's life.

If air comes out your ears when you blow your nose, you have perforated ear drums. Time to see your ENT before you get a very serious infection.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:58 pm

WindCpap wrote:
Goofproof wrote:I too have this problem, even changing positions in bed sets it off. It's a bother but not as bad as stopping breathing, also if I blow my nose are comes out my ears. When I get up my ears clear up un a few minutes, so it's not a earthshaking problem, for me. I have conjestion problems 24/7 365 days a year, that's life.

If air comes out your ears when you blow your nose, you have perforated ear drums. Time to see your ENT before you get a very serious infection.
Never had a problem from it, in 70 years. My boy did have tubes put in three times. I believe in fixing what is needed to survive, otherwise let it alone. We all are made with defective parts, I don't need a firmware upgrade, when my fuse blows I'll wrap it with foil. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:11 pm

I finally grew out of my easily clogged Eustachian tubes at about 30!
They never did tubes when I was a kid; and don't much now, as too many were done
more to fatten pockets than to fix kids' ears.
Repairing a broken eardrum can be a simple outpatient procedure that restores hearing.
Not just for quality of life, but SAFETY.

Zoopshine

Post by Zoopshine » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:08 am

This time of year, I pretty much always have allergies, which leads to plugged-up ears. I did worry that perhaps my CPAP was making it worse. However, I will deal with that and have the benefits of CPAP! That aside, some things to try:

An over-the-counter decongestant - these work by reducing blood flow to your nasal passages, reducing swelling. The same effect spreads to help ears as well. Brand names like sudafed or dayquil can prove useful

Don't blow your nose so hard! Your ears should not be ringing or having air coming out when you blow your nose. Try blowing with your mouth open. I've had limited success here, but I've hard it works for some.

Try ear drops for wax. If you are the kind that uses Qtips to clean your ears, you are likely looking at impacted wax. There is a reason they say not to put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow.

Get tested for allergies. Especially if this is a seasonal thing, this time of year the big trigger is usually dust. Once the windows close and the heating systems kick in, it's open season on your allergies.

See your ENT. I understand the earlier comment about not sweating the small stuff, but it is absolutely correct that ruptured ear drums can lead to major infections that could destroy not only your hearing, but also your sense of balance. If you are like me and frequently suffer from sinus/ear infections, might be time for your yearly antibiotic. Gotta love the changing of the seasons!