Broken CPAP - Internal parts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpaman

Broken CPAP - Internal parts

Post by cpaman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi,
I have 2010 Remstar system one 550 model. It is having intermittent problems. Occasionally it would shut off and beeping at 3 or 4 am. When that happens, i would need to open the machine, unplug all wires and let it sit for few hours. But lately is has been having more frequent problems it I can't use the device for few days now. I'm attaching the picture of my machine. If you have a CPAP machine that I can use the parts from, please let me know. I'm thinking to replace my units with parts that you don't use anymore. Buying another machine is not in my budget.

Thank you.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Broken CPAP - Internal parts

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Yikes. This disturbs me on so many levels. But I guess somebody has to see the innards of the beast.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Yikes. This disturbs me on so many levels. But I guess somebody has to see the innards of the beast.

Like dissecting frogs in Biology Class..................

MitzyG

Post by MitzyG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:37 pm

First...I'm sorry, I don't have spare parts to provide. But second, the story you tell where it has been running awhile, then beeps and turns off and you take it apart, let it cool and it'll work again sure sounds like the thing is overheating. Unless you're an expert with electronics and know why it's overheating, I would try to get a used machine or something because if it overheats, it could cause a fire. Not something you want to happen next to your bed in the middle of the night

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:44 pm

I always wondered what the insides looked like.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:48 pm

To the OP.........

Contact "acbio(dot)com" and ask them about repairing it.
They're a member of this forum under the user name "Accurate". They're also a certified repair site for Philips/Respironics. And, they have several locations in the U S A.

Den

cpaman

Post by cpaman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:19 pm

The machine didn't overheat. I'm thinking the unplugging is like a reset, I wish there was a reset button. I'm not in electronics, but I can take things apart and put them back again. The bottom assembly is the fan compartment, and the top is the electronics (brain).

I contacted acbio, and the repair is almost like buying a new unit, about $300 to replace the electronic board. can't do this at the moment.

borgready

Post by borgready » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't think you have to open it up and unplug all the wires. Just unplug it and that will reset it for a while. How many hours are on it? I assume it still works. It justs shuts down while in use. Right? One of mine does the same. I wonder what goes bad in them that they are programmed to shut down even though it still functions. I assume the pressure sensor gets outside of its specs and it trips an error that shuts it down. My cynical side says its programmed to shut down/malfunction so you buy a new one.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 pm

cpaman wrote:Hi,
I have 2010 Remstar system one 550 model. It is having intermittent problems. Occasionally it would shut off and beeping at 3 or 4 am. When that happens, i would need to open the machine, unplug all wires and let it sit for few hours. But lately is has been having more frequent problems it I can't use the device for few days now. I'm attaching the picture of my machine. If you have a CPAP machine that I can use the parts from, please let me know. I'm thinking to replace my units with parts that you don't use anymore. Buying another machine is not in my budget.

Thank you.
Have you looked at the downloaded data in some reports? (sleeyphead or Encore) What's happening right before it shuts down?
Have you also checked the options set in the machine? Is the "Auto-Off" and notification enabled?
I'm thinking this sounds like you're having a very large leak for the period of time that it takes to shut it off.......and possibly not a hardware problem.

Den

borgready

Post by borgready » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:27 pm

I would tell you to buy a card from the repair place that you checked into and install it yourself. That would work but you will most likely have to calibrate the machine to a certain pressure using the diagnostic software, pressure tester and the connector card that interfaces the electronic board. Did you ask as to how much a replacement board would be? I think they run about 150 to 200 dollars. Are you using the flex modes or and the auto functions when the machine shuts down. You might try going to a mode thats just plain old cpap if you can tolerate it. How familiar with electronics are you? Those boards run off the shelf components MCUs that you can get the specs for to see how to program and what the wiring pinouts are.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Watch your local Craigslist. I've found similar machines for $200 to $300. Unfortunately, I've often had to watch for months before finding a good price.

Lots of people want WAY too much for their old, used CPAP machines, but occasionally, you'll find a good price.

If you get the chance, make some really good pictures of the front and back of the circuit boards and guts and post them.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

flyingwithoutwings

Post by flyingwithoutwings » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Craigslist is a good place to start. I just saw a Remstar DS560S with humidifier for $250 (in FL). Way less than insurance deductible, at least mine.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails!

cpaman

Post by cpaman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29 am

Hi all,
thank you for posting your thoughts. I tried to set my device to with/without C-flex. I know that it is not due to leak because as soon as I turn on the blower it started giving that service required message, and on one of the morning I was awake when it shut itself down (giving short beeping sound). I got it running again now for the last couple of days, don't know how long this will last. I can work/fix simple household electronics items and replacing parts & soldering. My guess is the pressure sensor on this unit might be going bad.

I didn't check my data before it shuts itself down. I will post if I see some irregularity in the data.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:39 am

Scrutinize solder joints for halo breaks, capacitors for bulging, etc. Here's a video describing that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLcBimRG4fs

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:34 am

Find somebody with PR Service Center Software and have them dump the list of error codes.

BTW, what PCA is that? 1096209? What software version is in there?
You Kids Have Fun!!