Jaw pain, Headaches and Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Retroguy

Jaw pain, Headaches and Sleep Apnea

Post by Retroguy » Tue May 17, 2016 9:16 am

I'm a newbie also, I'm suffering from headache And TMJ issues/clenching. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few years ago but never followed through. I guess there are some thoughts that i might be grinding and clenching at night trying to open up my airway. I hope it helps. I have been trying the cheap night guards but that's not helping.

BlackSpinner

Re: Jaw pain, Headaches and Sleep Apnea

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue May 17, 2016 9:18 am

You need to get a cpap machine and use it whenever you sleep.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue May 17, 2016 9:20 am

"I hope it helps".

Do you mean you're now on Cpap?

You've given zero info about anything, least of all equipment, whether you're even using any, at what pressure(s), for how long, or anything else. And it's not really clear if you're asking for help or just telling us about your TMJ problems (bruxism is the term for teeth grinding). Have you had a new sleep study? Results?

Retroguy

Post by Retroguy » Tue May 17, 2016 10:24 am

Sorry new to forum. Mainly I think I'm looking for support. I had a sleep study in 2011 and never followed through with the recommendations. NExt week I have to go for a new test in order to establish another baseline and get set up for the CPAP. I The past two months have been very difficult with pain and headaches. It seems the doctors I see no nothing about TMJ and possible connection to SLeep Apnea. I know I suffer from SA. My results before said I had over 300 episodes in the night. I know I need to do it, I just hope it helps my headaches. I have no direct questions unless people want to share a similar story or if people have seen a connection between clenching jaw pain and SA.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue May 17, 2016 10:31 am

Hi... I don't like doing it, but I can almost guarantee your headaches will be way down because most do stop when you're on Cpap. Beyond that, yet, can't say much, but when you get your stuff, fill out the Profile (after clicking on User Ctl Panel under logo) with the most complete description/wording/#s you can find on the machine and what type of mask you use, as well as pressure settings, any meds you take, etc. Then we'll all know where to start when you post (will auto appear under each note). As far as the TMJ goes, you need either a head and neck surgeon (maybe overkill at this stage and may know zip re apnea), a good dentist who doesn't try to sell you on other devices for apnea, or a good sleep doc, though I guess you've fig'd all that out yourself so far. It will be interesting to see how you do with masks, though nasal ones should be far less of a problem than 'full face' ones that cover your mouth. If you do mouth breathe when sleeping tho', you may need to find a way to deal with it because losing Cpap air that way is kind of pointless. Also hope you realize the headaches are symptoms, and that your apnea, if you're right about the 300, comes with way more serious (potential) problems than headaches.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 17, 2016 10:44 am

Headaches can also be a symptom of OSA and in fact a very common symptom. I had some killer headaches upon waking (pretty much daily) that would fade away in 2 or 3 hours. Those headaches totally went away once I had my cpap therapy optimized.

That said...not all headaches are related to OSA and of course if not related to OSA then cpap isn't likely going to help but there is a good chance that some/part/maybe get lucky and bulk/ of your headaches will reduce or go away with effective cpap therapy.

Now sometimes I still get a nasty headache in the AM upon waking but it's almost always caused by my neck (bad arthritis) and sleeping weird on the bed pillow. So I know that not all my headaches were OSA related but the majority of my bad headaches totally went away within a couple of weeks of optimized cpap therapy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Retroguy

Post by Retroguy » Tue May 17, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks for all the comments. I think my headaches are related to Jaw clenching. They
Are pretty much all day. If I relax sometimes they go away. I have had CAt scans of my head and tit was normal. No matter what info need the. CPap for my overall health. I waited too long.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Yes you can have TMJ and have apnea... and they can be 2 separate things. I have that.

Recommendation... find a good dentist, get a bite guard that is fit to you, don't go cheap and just get one from a sports store.

Then get your sleep sorted out, make sure that your mask isn't pushing your chin down.

I wear a mask and a bite guard... they can work together.

I'd also advise that you do everything to relax if you're remotely stressed.