Wow! Insurance paid 100% of sleep study...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ughwhatname

Wow! Insurance paid 100% of sleep study...

Post by ughwhatname » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 pm

despite telling me that I would be liable for 20% of the bill. AND, the Sleep Clinic told me the cost would be $3,900, and instead they billed $3,000.

So, I expected to pay about $800, and instead owe ZERO! Yeah for me.

Slinky

Re: Wow! Insurance paid 100% of sleep study...

Post by Slinky » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Whew! That's all right. Congratulations, UghWhat. That 20% is better in your pocket than theirs, right?

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:34 pm

If anyone has to pay the full cost for a sleep study, take a trip overseas and get it done for under $300 Then use the money saved sightseeing.

http://www.medical-tourism-in-thailand. ... apnea.html
Sleep Apnea | Snoring — Radiofrequency ablation (RFA): US$480
Sleep Apnea | Snoring — Laser-Assisted Uvulopalatoplasty, including one night hospital stay: US$1,100-1,300
Sleep Apnea | Snoring — Uvulopharyngopalatoplasty (UPPP), including one nigh hospital stay: US$1,300
Sleep Apnea | Snoring — Pillar Procedure: US$1,500
Sleep Study at Sleep Center (including 1 night hospital stay): US$275
Consultation Fee (doctor's fee): Thai Baht 500-1,000 (US$15-30)

For example: sleep studies, also called a polysomnogram (PSG), is a sleep lab test to record sleep quality that costs just US$275, including the cost of one night stay in an ISO-certified international hospital. It usually requires you to sleep in a controlled environment at a sleep center. The test monitors your sleep patterns, body position, blood oxygen levels, respiratory events, muscle tone, heart rate, amount of snoring and general sleep behavior during the night, including sleep duration. A technician connects you to various instruments and is in attendance in a nearby room while you doze in the sleep laboratory. In some situations, the study can be done without the presence of a technician.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:57 pm

cosmo wrote:If anyone has to pay the full cost for a sleep study, take a trip overseas and get it done for under $300 Then use the money saved sightseeing.
By the time you pay for the flight, the hotel and food and drinks it won't be cheaper.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Thailand is dirt cheap. Plane tix can be had for under $800 and room/food are ridiculously cheap.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
cosmo wrote:If anyone has to pay the full cost for a sleep study, take a trip overseas and get it done for under $300 Then use the money saved sightseeing.
By the time you pay for the flight, the hotel and food and drinks it won't be cheaper.

True, but there would be a vacation in the midst of the study.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Tricare has no co-pays for any diagnostic test, lab, x-ray, c-t, mri, sleep study.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Mine paid 0% so between us we average 50% - not bad