Benadryl and Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DannyPh

Benadryl and Cpap

Post by DannyPh » Mon May 14, 2012 11:48 am

It is the peak of allergy season here in texas now and I was considering taking Benadryl allergy medicine but was curious if the Benadryl might effect the Cpap therapy. I need something yo combat the allergies and Benadryl was my First Choice.

bayourest

Re: Benadryl and Cpap

Post by bayourest » Mon May 14, 2012 11:59 am

I have taken allegra and it hasn't bothered me with cpap.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Mon May 14, 2012 12:10 pm

I had to take Benadryl a couple of nights because I couldn't stop sneezing and blowing my nose and I couldn't tell that it made any difference other than allowing me to sleep. On top of that, I regularly take Zyrtec. Must have had a pollen over-load. And yes, I did rinse my sinuses with saline.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Mon May 14, 2012 12:30 pm

I used to take Allegra regularly but since being on CPAP my sinus problems have gotten much better. I've take Benedryl for poison oak without any CPAP problems.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Most of the sleep aids you take is nothing more than Benadryl and I've taken those at night with no bad effects to my cpap readings.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Mon May 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Our allergy season started back in mid-Feb with oak as the main culprit among too many others to mention.. I take Zyrtec regularly then or whenever the need arises and it works very good for me. No alterations to my AHI either. Helps me sleep much better also.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon May 14, 2012 2:35 pm

DannyPh wrote:It is the peak of allergy season here in texas now and I was considering taking Benadryl allergy medicine but was curious if the Benadryl might effect the Cpap therapy. I need something yo combat the allergies and Benadryl was my First Choice.
Even if it affects your therapy, it is better then not using cpap.
It doesn't seem to affect a lot of people here, however Benadryl affects my sleep. It fragments it and I keep waking up all through the night. But that is just me and I still take it in order to breathe.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon May 14, 2012 3:04 pm

I take Benedryl routinely with no effect other than I fall asleep quicker. I can see in my data that it wears off after a couple hours during my sleep. I would not advise taking any pseudo-ephedrine or phenyl-ephedrine type drug. That's like speed / adrenaline and likely you'll be cleaning your house rather than sleeping at 2 AM (GRIN)

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

ems

Post by ems » Mon May 14, 2012 5:54 pm

MaxDarkside wrote:That's like speed / adrenaline and likely you'll be cleaning your house rather than sleeping at 2 AM (GRIN)
Funny you mentioned that... I was washing my kitchen floor at 2:30 A.M. One of those nites...

I take Zyrtec all the time. No probs with it or Benadryl actually. Awful allergy season this year!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon May 14, 2012 6:05 pm

I can't take the old school antihistamines like Benadryl and Actifed--it's like I've had a stroke when I take those--very bad. But I'm fine on the newer ones like Loratidine (Claritin) and Zyrtec.

In any case, you're way better off on CPAP when taking something like Benadryl in case the weird type of sleep it induces makes your airway even more floppy.

You might see a change in AHI.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm