Washing Headgear in Washer

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jen4700

Washing Headgear in Washer

Post by jen4700 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:34 am

It's been two weeks with my CPAP and I think it's time to wash my headgear. I've gotten some pimples along the strap lines - even tho I wash my face before I put on my mask.

My RT told me that I could wash my headgear (any brand) in the washing machine in a lingerie bag. She said DON"T put it in the dryer. Her husband uses CPAP so I'm assuming she's actually tried this. She said hand washing the headgear can stretch it out over the long term. She said throwing it in the washer doesn't tend to stretch it out as much.

Thoughts?

xenablue

Re: Washing Headgear in Washer

Post by xenablue » Sat May 05, 2012 10:53 am

I've done both - and yes, you definitely should use a lingerie bag to protect it. I usually toss chinstraps, liners etc. all in together to wash, but hang them to dry.

When I handwash, it's just using Ivory liquid soap or Dr.Bronner's. I use a SleepWeaver mask which is ALL cloth except the hose connector and that gets handwashed every time it's worn.

Cheers,
xena

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Sat May 05, 2012 11:01 am

Yep..A wash is a wash.
RT's suggestion sounds like a winner.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat May 05, 2012 11:42 am

Yup...me too. Toss all the head gear, mask liners and strap liners in a lingerie bag and into the washer, hang to dry.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat May 05, 2012 1:04 pm

I don't use the lingerie bag but I do attach the velcro straps down (just as when in use on head) so they won't catch on anything else. I just let them air dry. I have several so it doesn't matter how long it takes to dry but it is usually quick after the spin cycle.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat May 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Elle wrote:I don't use the lingerie bag but I do attach the velcro straps down (just as when in use on head) so they won't catch on anything else. I just let them air dry. I have several so it doesn't matter how long it takes to dry but it is usually quick after the spin cycle.
I think I would do that even using a lingerie bag. That velcro stuff picks up every tiny bit of lint which lessens it's sticky life.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat May 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I've always thrown my liners and straps straight in the washer. What's a lingerie bag? I'm afraid to ask the wife... she may call me a wuss, or something. Sheriff

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat May 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Just a small net bag that you can get at the dollar store. It controls delicates from being too "agitated" in the washer. google it and you can see pics.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat May 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Some people don't mind their delicates being agitated though.

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Sat May 05, 2012 5:21 pm

I also wash mine in a lingerie bag (actually, a satin pillow case that zips closed). All velcro fastened, on the cold/delicate cycle, hang to dry.

The hang-to-dry part is the most important bit. As most of us bra wearers know, dryers are the mortal enemies of things with elastic!

When I am tight on time or don't have enough to run a full load, I hand wash and hang to dry. I haven't noticed any difference in "stretching-out-ness", and frankly, it seems counter-intuitive to me that someone would think the agitation of a washer (even on delicate!) would be *better* than a gentle hand wash. (And I speak as a knitter/weaver/fiber-fanatic.) So I use laziness as my guide and do whatever is easier for me at the moment.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Have you considered the possibility that you might be a teensy bit sensitive to the neoprene in the headgear?
Pad-a-Cheek covers on those straps that are irritating your skin might help, too.

-tim

Post by -tim » Sun May 06, 2012 4:29 am

I'll tell you a secret. CPAP was invented in Australia. The most common stretchable fabric you can get here is what they make wet suits out of. If you look up directions for cleaning your wet-suit for proper care instructions. Remember that wet suits are often locked in hot cars in the summer time yet still are ok for years.

The velcro can damage other things. My headgear goes in with the jeans.

Dryers are NOT to be used. They are ok on the "airing" cycle or other non-heat cycles and if you can keep it under 40*C (104*F), that is still an ok temperature but the hot settings will accelerate the breakdown. Also some newer headgear is just elastic.

Also keep in mind that if the headgear gets too hot, it may destroy other clothes you wash or dry it with.

And please don't experiment if you don't have spares.