Explaining CPAP to kids

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cowlypso

Explaining CPAP to kids

Post by cowlypso » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm

I've been using my machine since May, and there's no way I'd give it up, even for a night.

In 2 weeks, I'm going to be a cabin leader at our church's winter camp. This means I'll be sleeping in the cabin with the kids. Not quite sure how to approach it with them. Keep in mind that these are not my own kids. They will be elementary age (primarily 3rd-5th grade).

Do I say something about it up front, or only if they ask? What is the best explanation for kids?

At least my machine has the silent mode, so it won't beep every time I turn it on and off!

BlackSpinner

Re: Explaining CPAP to kids

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:39 pm

They will be fascinated!
Fighter pilots, Deep sea divers, spacemen!

Not to mention Darth Vader .... show up with a black cape and light sabre.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Y'know, I think if it were me I'd keep it simple, and say that you snore and it wakes you up and the machine helps you not do that so you can get a good night's sleep (and so can they).

Kids that age tend to be very curious, so they might ask questions - but most of them don't have much perspective yet to understand life-long health issues, heart damage and such. Some of them will probably volunteer TMI about how loud their dad or mom snores.

I'd be willing to bet that they'll want to know how it works mechanically, though, so be ready to explain the workings!

(You might also want to point out that since it touches your face and you breathe air through it, it's important for them not to touch it without permission).

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:32 pm

Kids love gore.

Once you have given Rocket Girls explanation, mention that it can also be switched to reverse to suck the brains out of children who won't go to sleep...

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Gerald? wrote:Kids love gore.

Once you have given Rocket Girls explanation, mention that it can also be switched to reverse to suck the brains out of children who won't go to sleep...
You're bad! But hellishly funny!

Cotay

Post by Cotay » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 am

I told my two oldest kids (4 & 2 1/2) that my APAP is my "robot". My two year old is fascinated every morning and points "Is that your robot daddy?". He thinks I'm cool.

I think the key is involving children from the start...I've let them in on the fun and they now have grown used to it. Well...except for Saturday when I took a nap; my daughter came in and climbed up on the bed while I was sleeping and proceeded to block off the mask exhaust vent with her hands and face. She thought the rushing air felt "funny" on her face....I woke up quickly after that.

MsBea

Post by MsBea » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:53 am

I told my grandsons, ages 6 and 8 at the time, the machine helps me breathe. At first they called me an elephant but now I'm a fighter pilot....pretty cool grandma!

They were very fascinated with it and I showed them how it worked.

I do like the idea one poster suggested to say it keeps you from snoring. My explanation could scare some kids although my grandsons took it in stride.

I'm betting you'll hear about their family members who are on cpap as well.

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:01 am

MsBea wrote: told my grandsons, ages 6 and 8 at the time, the machine helps me breathe. At first they called me an elephant but now I'm a fighter pilot....pretty cool grandma!
My youngest stepdaughter called me Mr Elephant, but my oldest said that since Star Wars was my favorite movie I was trying to impersonate Darth Vader!

Actually they both understand that Mommy and Daddy are doing this to be healthy and be around for a long time. They like that I am now in a better mood an not as grumpy.

Last edited by retrodave15 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 am

Well, as a mother, grandmother and school based speech pathologist, I'd just be upfront. Just say you have troubles breathing and snoring at night and that this helps you to sleep better. I imagine as more people realize the risk of sleep apnea and it becomes better known, some of their parents may wear cpaps. My grandchildren never questioned my cpap. Kids aren't nearly as delicate as we make them out to be. With a logical explanation, they'll say okay and go about their busines.

(
cowlypso wrote:I've been using my machine since May, and there's no way I'd give it up, even for a night.

In 2 weeks, I'm going to be a cabin leader at our church's winter camp. This means I'll be sleeping in the cabin with the kids. Not quite sure how to approach it with them. Keep in mind that these are not my own kids. They will be elementary age (primarily 3rd-5th grade).

Do I say something about it up front, or only if they ask? What is the best explanation for kids?

At least my machine has the silent mode, so it won't beep every time I turn it on and off!

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:05 am

Ah, so silly but I love it.
Gerald? wrote:Kids love gore.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:29 am

I think you should make a life lesson out of your XPAP and tell them up front - otherwise they're going to either freak out or whisper amongst themselves and get the whole thing completely wrong.

I agree - I think they'll be fascinated and you'll gain respect by being open about it.

Keep it simple, but real.

Cheers,
xena

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:33 pm

What a wonderful opportunity to touch so many minds!

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Just to be clear, the reason I advocate "simple" is because what you don't want a bunch of 8 year olds in already unfamiliar surroundings away from their families to hear is a long involved explanation that will sail over their heads so all they really hear is:

I have something called sleep apnea...words words words lots of words words words I STOP BREATHING IN MY SLEEP words words more words words cpap machine words words words ...

Kids can have an uncanny way of focusing in on the single most worrisome thing you say, especially when they are already out of their element and you are the authority figure, and they intensely personalize everything and some will immediately apply it to themselves and wonder if they too could stop breathing in their sleep. They won't get that it doesn't kill you instantly, and they won't say anything, they'll just worry and wonder.

I remember this. I was a kid once (and have served as a counselor at a church camp in the woods too).

If you had only 5th graders it would be a different story; there's a huge chunk of development there that the 3rd graders won't yet have. Give them something simple and non-threatening; they'll tell you how much more they want through their questions, which you answer simply and directly. If they don't want more, respect it and don't give them more.

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm not too worried about it. My best friend is the children's minister, and she'll be there too. So she'll be there to cover me. She's very good about explaining stuff to kids.

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the situation. Mostly about whether to wait until somebody asked, or just say something outright. I appreciate all the input.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:41 pm

cowlypso wrote:I'm not too worried about it. My best friend is the children's minister, and she'll be there too. So she'll be there to cover me. She's very good about explaining stuff to kids.

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the situation. Mostly about whether to wait until somebody asked, or just say something outright. I appreciate all the input.
If you wait you lose control of the subject and timing. They will likely ask questions while you are rushed off your feet or dealing with an emergency or have your head in the toilet. Kids have an uncanny knack for picking the worst( for you) time.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal