Prodigal CPAP / Mask slipping troubles

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
EO_123

Prodigal CPAP / Mask slipping troubles

Post by EO_123 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:03 am

I am a prodigal CPAP user. I got a machine in 2011 for mild Apnea, used it faithfully for about a year and then divorce / transition / new relationship happened and the CPAP sat cold.

One of the reasons I stopped using it was I was waking up every morning between 4-5 a.m. I blamed the CPAP for this and decided I'd sleep better without it. I went to the doctor recently for sleep problems, complaining of waking (you guessed it) at 4-5 a.m. She asked why I had stopped using my CPAP and we both had a good laugh. Maybe CPAP wasn't the culprit afterall?

The mask I use now is the SwiftFX / nasal pillow. One of my biggest complaints is that the back band slides up my head, causing leaks, and I have to adjust it several times during the night. Falling back to sleep is VERY hard for me so I detest anything that may awaken me at all.

I remember from my time on this board that someone made an accessory for this type of mask - and it had something to do with a cover for that back headband to keep it from slipping. Can someone tell me where I might find such an item? I think it was a member of this board who made them. I have tried every tweak and adjustment to the mask and frankly, I think it's just the way my head is shaped. The strap slipping is one my my excuses I give myself to not use cpap, so I'm trying to eliminate the opportunity for excuses.

If anyone knows the item I'm talking about - or where I can find it, that would be great!

Just call me E0_601 ;)

EO_123

Re: Prodigal CPAP / Mask slipping troubles

Post by EO_123 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:10 am

One more thought - if a newer / better nasal pillow mask has come out - or someone can recommend an alternative I should look at - I'm open to that as well!

Just call me E0_601 ;)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:20 am

Mask accessories most likely was http://padacheek.com

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:28 am

There's something called a Pap Cap and I think a forum search would let you learn more about it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:44 am

ResMed came out with the new AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask in Jan of this year.
It's pretty sweet. I am using it right now and have been since it was released.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... r-her.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:41 am

Pugsy wrote:ResMed came out with the new AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask in Jan of this year.
mine does tend to slip off my head if I wriggle around too much on the pillow.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:03 pm

palerider wrote:
Pugsy wrote:ResMed came out with the new AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask in Jan of this year.
mine does tend to slip off my head if I wriggle around too much on the pillow.
So Palrerider, how do you prevent that from happening, or do you just deal with it? I've been having the same issue lately, my P10 is very comfortable but it has been moving around a little lately and it's waking me at night since it is no longer sealed correctly.

How often are folks washing/drying their headbands so they bounce back into shape?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:42 pm

sleep_quest wrote:
palerider wrote: mine does tend to slip off my head if I wriggle around too much on the pillow.
So Palrerider, how do you prevent that from happening, or do you just deal with it?
I pull both halves of the strap down low and that usually works, if I split the straps, it ends up coming off much more often... alas, I don't have a pony tail like some folks I've seen on the forum

so far, it hasn't been too much of an issue if I start out with it pulled low on the back of my skull, unless I'm too restless.

there's some posts somewhere here on the forum from someone that modified the p10 strap to be more like the swift fx pillow strap, adding another strap to it..

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

IreneN

Post by IreneN » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:57 pm

I had a problem with slippage also on several masks I tried. I also don't have a ponytail, but found a way around it. Don't know if I'll be able to describe this right. When I put the headgear on, I run my fingers along the top of the lower band but under my hair and pull up whatever hair is above the band up and over the band. This effectively makes a part in your hair across the back of your head, and seems to stop the strap when it hits skin instead of sliding on up. I don't know if this makes any sense at all, but it works for me.