Nasal mask suggestions please...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tmorris

Nasal mask suggestions please...

Post by tmorris » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Well I did not get but one response from my last post but will try again...still having mask issues. I do not even have one to use right now. Im out of pocket and the ones I have leak...so I am about to buy another one. I have decided to stick with nasal masks ...my best friend who is a RT suggests the flexi fit by fisher & paykel...any other suggestions? Thanks,

Toni

xenablue

Re: Nasal mask suggestions please...

Post by xenablue » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:57 pm

It's very difficult, if not impossible, to recommend a nasal mask for another person. So much depends on the individual. You should be able to try a bunch of them at your DME's office before deciding on one at least. Ideally your DME should have a 30-day plan where you can try as many masks as you want (at home) within 30-days so you can choose one that works for you.

I had a nasal mask initially but the forehead piece made my sinuses unbearable - I was able to exchange that for a Mirage Liberty (nasal pillows with mouth piece). After reading a whole lot here, decided on a Swift LT and FX for Her (both nasal pillows) - both of which I use almost exclusively now. I swap them out every week or so as the nasal pillows do irritate my nares sometimes.

I am a side/stomach sleeper so the nasal pillows work well for me, but also wear a chinstrap as my mouth tends to drop open.

In a couple of weeks I'm eligible for a new mask, and I'm ordering a Circadiance SleepWeaver mask, which is all cloth nasal mask.

Your best bet is to try as many as you can - and there is a fantastic mask trial program you can do just that with if you don't get the service you need from your DME. I can't find the link to the trial program, but someone else might chime in with it soon.

Cheers,
xena

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Why don't you try 1 or more first, to see how you like them?

Mask Trial Program at http://www.cpaplibrary.com/mask-trials.html

All you pay is $14 to cover shipping both ways and you can try out a mask for a week. I've used the program more than once and was able to try different masks. All the info you need to know is at the site.

For what it's worth, I have tried 3 nasal masks: Mirage FX, Comfortgel Blue, & EasyLife. My favorite was the Mirage FX.

Good luck.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

RTF

Post by RTF » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:41 pm

I have the Opus 360 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear. I love it. Stays off the face and the hose is attached with swivel technology for those of us that turn in bed. This one was recommended by a friend who told me he had tried a lot of them and this was the best.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Another possibility; our hosts, cpap.com sells return insurance with most masks.
--And,, I believe, Devilbiss masks require no insurance; as long as you stay within the 30 day limit.
The price of the insurance reflects the return rate of each mask.
Cheapest insurance is either a more universal fit or so new they don't know yet.
It would also help if you mentioned the masks you have tried.
Good luck!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm

I find a gel mask gives me the best fit; and the Respironics comfort gel nasal is very inexpensive--just not sure how long they will make parts for it.

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Toni

Wow, so it sounds like your note using your machine right now because of leaks. Don't you feel like crap?

It's really hard to suggest masks to others as they are such an individual thing. And fit is different on everyone. One persons diamond is another persons rock.

All I can do to help you is tell you what I'm doing and have done.

I have tried 11 different masks....all nasal or pillows.

My third mask was the Mirage SoftGel by ResMed. Out of the other 10 this is the one I keep going back to. When nothing is working this one always dose.
It just isn't as comfortable on me as say nasal pillows are, but it doesn't leak on me and I get a good nights sleep with it.
I use a chin restraint with it as air leaking out my mouth always wakes me up and also makes my numbers not good.

I find I'm buying "something" concerning my OSA about once a month out of pocket but I do have insurance just no patients.

By the way the Mirage has two kinds of cushions that fit it.
The regular one and the SoftGel.
The regular one I need to tighten too much to stops the leaking so I use the SoftGel which is heavier on the face but doesn't need to be so tight on me.
I'm 5'5" and weigh about 130 lbs and use the small size. I have tried the Med but the bottom of it lands on my top lip so that didn't work.

Hope this helps.
Good luck finding something you like and works well for you.
P.S. Get on that machine ASAP

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

ems

Post by ems » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:12 pm

xenablue wrote:In a couple of weeks I'm eligible for a new mask, and I'm ordering a Circadiance SleepWeaver mask, which is all cloth nasal mask.
I got the SleepWeaver yesterday and slept with it for the first time last nite. It is beyond comfortable, which is why I'm going to give it a fair try. It's noisy, woke me up a few times, and I could feel it was leaking a bit. I have to tweak it I guess, although I've read all the reviews and watched the video and not sure what more I can do. I want so much for it to work, feels like nothing is on your face.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

tmorris

Post by tmorris » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I cannot use the nasal pillows. I'm still sleepy after I use them although they do not leak. I do not know why this is! Everything I have leaks so I'm real frustrated. I'm not using anything tonight. What's the point.

EO_123

Post by EO_123 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:23 pm

How high are your leaks?

Just call me E0_601 ;)

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:53 pm

tmorris,

what is your specific leak issue w/nasal masks? poor fit around nose, leaking into eyes? or leaking from mouth?

it makes a difference as there could be different strategies to deal w/leak depending on where it's coming from; the mouth would be easier to deal with as you can tape if you have to. A mask liner and an anti-leak strap could be the answer if it's a seal problem.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 pm

ems wrote:
xenablue wrote:In a couple of weeks I'm eligible for a new mask, and I'm ordering a Circadiance SleepWeaver mask, which is all cloth nasal mask.
I got the SleepWeaver yesterday and slept with it for the first time last nite. It is beyond comfortable, which is why I'm going to give it a fair try. It's noisy, woke me up a few times, and I could feel it was leaking a bit. I have to tweak it I guess, although I've read all the reviews and watched the video and not sure what more I can do. I want so much for it to work, feels like nothing is on your face.
I wear an eye mask over my Sleepweaver. It makes a lot of difference.

imsleepynomore

Post by imsleepynomore » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:06 pm

I use the Mirage soft gel size small and also use a CPAP pillow this allows me to sleep on side or back and my mask fits in the cut out areas when on my side. I have tried several of the little nasel pillows and did not sleep well despite no leaks I also tried the new swift lite and found I had to tighten it too much to stop leaks . Your DME should allow you to try a few on good luck I hope you find the right mask

ems

Post by ems » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Stormynights wrote:
ems wrote:
I wear an eye mask over my Sleepweaver. It makes a lot of difference.

Thanks for the suggestion... however, it's not the air blowing into my eyes that is bothering me - it was the noise from the leaks around my cheeks, I think. Last nite I made the straps much tighter and that seemed to stop the leaks. Definitely better last nite in that area.

I have noticed I'm waking with morning headaches again, and have no idea what that's about. Still giving this mask a fair try... it's so comfortable!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:44 pm

tmorris wrote:...Everything I have leaks so I'm real frustrated. I'm not using anything tonight. What's the point.
WalMart's and others sell Macks swimmer's ear plugs. They are pieces of firm but shapeable silicon. Take about a third of one piece, roll into a cylinder, then flatten. Stick it to the mask where you have leaks. It peels off and is re-useable. Got this tip from another poster, works great.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.