Best mask for side sleepers?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ejackson1200

Best mask for side sleepers?

Post by ejackson1200 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Ok we've tried Quattro FX, and the Swift Nasal Pillows, lots of leaks when he rolls over. ( I hear them- machine only documents compliance)

What is next? What tends to work best for side sleepers now that we can get another mask?

Thanks,

LSAT

Re: Best mask for side sleepers?

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:11 pm

I don't think it's the mask as much as your pillow and how you sleep on it. I use the FF Quattro. Some people have a problem sleeping on their side with it,,,I have never had a problem. I sleep on my left side on a foam contour pillow. My head is on the far right side with the mask hanging off the right side. I do not move around much when I am sleeping. Good Luck

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Swift FX works for me and I sleep on my sides all night, left and right.
If you don't like that, have you tried the Swift LT which are pillows again and there is a Sleepweaver soft nasal mask made from cloth that people have given good reviews on.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:13 pm

good point about pillow. I use the Sobakawa cloud pillow. It is small, but is very comfortable for me and does not get in the way of my mask. I use a flat memory foam pillow under the Cloud and it works well for side sleeping.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:26 pm

You can go on cpap.com and search for masks for active sleepers. I am not sure they have a category for side sleeper but you could investigate that way and look at different mask configurations. Sometimes I have to put my hand or arm under my head or under the Cloud pillow to get comfortable and get the mask out of the way.

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:49 pm

ejackson1200 wrote:Ok we've tried Quattro FX, and the Swift Nasal Pillows, lots of leaks when he rolls over. ( I hear them- machine only documents compliance)

What is next? What tends to work best for side sleepers now that we can get another mask?

Thanks,

Sleepweaver works well for this side sleeper.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 pm

I've been trying to find a solution for me as well. Neither the Swift FX of Swift LT leak that much when I sleep on my side, however, the straps across my cheeks get pulled when I move.

While they both "leak", they don't leak by much. In fact, the data shows that they have a pretty good seal, but even a minor short duration leak bothers me.

For my next mask attempt, I will try something that doesn't have straps across the cheeks, probably the ComfortLite 2 with nasal pillows.

don56

Post by don56 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:19 pm

The Resmed Mirage Softgel nasal mask has been the best mask for me. I've tried about 6 masks and have stayed with this one for over a year without any real issues. Just make sure the vent doesn't blow against anything like a blanket or sheets as this can sometimes fool you into thinking you have a leak. Finding the right mask is really the toughest part about cpap therapy. Good luck.

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:32 pm

ejackson1200 wrote:Ok we've tried Quattro FX, and the Swift Nasal Pillows, lots of leaks when he rolls over. ( I hear them- machine only documents compliance)

Thanks,
I am a side sleeper and move alot in my sleep. My phillips easylife nasal mask is comfy and seems to seal good without having the straps torqued crazy. It came with medium and small. The medium gave me leaks. I didn't think I had a small nose, but, when watching the sizing video on the website, it says to pick the very smallest nasal mask possible where it still is able to slide on your nose with ease and without squishing your nose and causing breathing problems. Small has been good.

sister

Post by sister » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:16 pm

I use the swift fx sometimes but I find the comfortlite 2 the most comfortable one for side sleeping.
Nothing on your face at all,the hose goes up over the head so you don't even know it's there.
Very comfortable and no marks on the face the next day!
Good luck to you.

Cindy Lou Who

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Gave up the Swift FX after many months of tweaking the straps from real tight to nearly fall-off loose. Changed pillow sizes too. Got bad leaks and very dry eyes. Also rolled onto the hose and pulled whole thing off my head.
Opus 360 nasal pillows work great for this side sleeper. There's more side-to-side support to keep the pillows seated. Since using the Opus not once have the pillows popped out of place.
What Opus 360 looks like:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -Mask.html

Could your hose pull the pillows away from your nose? Have you looked into any kind of management system so your hose moves freely when you do? Nice thing about the Opus 360: the hose is secured in the top strap of the headgear. The hose just lays on my bed pillow and (with no bed headboard) it drops between the bed and wall to machine.

Bed pillows play an important role in reducing leaks too. A firmer one worked better than a soft one. Some here use natural bed pillows with plant hulls in them.Hopefully someone will tell you what they are.
Good Luck and Sweet Dreams,
Cindy

Cindy Lou Who

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:49 pm

More info... People's heads and faces are not the same: what works for you may not work for me. If you take your mask back to the Medical Equipment business within 30 days of purchase, ask if they have a 30 day return policy. Some DME's will let you switch headgear if the current one doesn't work no matter what you've tried. Really push them on this! Sometimes the provider has this program but doesn't want everyone to know.
Wish you luck,
Cindy

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Jackson......

The best mask I've found for side sleeping is the "Headrest" by Aeiomed. It seems, however, that they are going out of business. If you can still get your hands on one, it'll do the job. I love mine so much that I've bought up a bunch of spares....like many other devotees have...to make sure that I'll never have to find a substitute.

G

scottjf8

Post by scottjf8 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks,
I use the Quattro FX and side sleep. One thing that's helped is the Padacheek - are you using this? If not, order it and try that. I also tighten the straps a bit more and it works great.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:30 am

normandy wrote:I have seen an article here (link deleted) that says that many side sleepers find the ResMed Swift FX Nasal Pillow Mask comfortable and a couple of people in this thread also said the same thing. But a lot of other people have other ideas. What do you think is the best choice?
I think that website is an Amazon promo site steering people to Amazon products. So I classify it as spam and removed the link and I will ask the forum moderator if the entire post would be considered spam.
Do you work for Amazon and/or sell these products on Amazon?
Are you even a cpap user?

Any mask can be used by a side sleeper...any mask. Might be some challenges in terms of positioning but it can be done.
The information shown at the link...not really all that correct because side sleepers aren't necessarily prohibited from using a mask that has a larger presence on their face.

This forum is hosted/paid for by cpap.com which is an online cpap retailer and it's poor taste to spam this forum with links to other cpap sellers....IMHO.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.