How NOT to wash SleepWeaver Advance Cpap Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SoooTired

How NOT to wash SleepWeaver Advance Cpap Mask

Post by SoooTired » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello all,

I always manage to post in bold and I often lose my message. I hope this will work.

After over three years of struggling, I finally found the best mask for me was the newer version of the SleepWeaver Advance CPAP mask.

I have a small face, claustrophobia and all the indications that makes this the mask of choice for me. The one problem? It would be work beautifully and then, after a few weeks, it would seem to be impossible for me to fit it so that I didn't get constant air in my eyes and no matter how much I adjusted it, it just got worse.

I got a mask from my provider about a month ago and the material that comes over the head and makes a loop for the elastic to go through and hold the mask near the bridge of one's nose, separated in a matter of three weeks. The air was again blowing in my eyes and the mask seemed pretty useless. There was too much white fabric and not enough black fabric if I'd wanted to sew it, which I didn't, so I returned it the DME office who provided me with another.

I wore the second mask three times before the same thing happened! At that point, when I called, my CPAP's receptionist acted as though I were sabotaging my own mask, to what end I can't imagine. She was rude and I know she was lying when she wouldn't let me talk to him. So I called the manufacturer, Circadiance myself and explained the problem.

The girl asked me a few questions and when she asked me what I washed the mask in, she said,
"That's your problem."

My Therapist had told me I could wash the mask in a choice of three things: Neutrogena hand soap, any liquid dishwashing liquid or any kind of baby shampoo.
I had chosen a lavender-scented babyshampoo and I liked the smell so much, I was washing it daily so I could enjoy the scent. Come to find out:

SleepWeaver Advance Cpap Masks will fall apart if washed in baby shampoo! There is some kind of chemical reaction that causes the material to separate and the mask's lining to break down!

The girl said that Circadiance used to use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid but now, for some reason, they'd switched to Liquid Tide. She said this was all they ever used and they recommended that patients do the same.

It would have been nice to know about the Baby Shampoo problem but I'm hoping that this new mask, which provided me with the best sleep last night than I've had in months, will no longer stop working so quickly if I use the two washing methods they recommend. She also suggested I just rinse the mask every other day or if I didn't mind, wash it just once a week.

I hope this helps some of you who have had problems with this mask not lasting very long. It has been a blessing to me!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: How NOT to wash SleepWeaver Advance Cpap Mask

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:03 pm

I have been washing my Élan cushions in Method unscented dish soap since the first week in June.
I did the same with my new Advance this morning.
I cannot stand the smell of Tide--it makes me sneeze so hard I have to change my undies.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:04 pm

I wash my SW in Dr. Bronner's soap and so far, haven't had any issues with it and it's almost 6-months old. I like Dr. Bronner's because it's all natural, and vegetable based, so can't imagine it would harm the fabric.. but who knows?

Thanks for the heads-up, SoooTired - when I receive my new SW elan in October, I'll contact Circadiance on the washing instructions if there aren't any in the packaging.

Cheers,
xena

SoooTired

Post by SoooTired » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:28 pm

You're welcome. And that's the problem, they don't say a word about not using baby shampoo. My Therapist had never mentioned to me before and the very first mask I had lasted a lot longer and I had been using unscented, non-medicated, hand soap.

Seems they would have put this on the box but I'm telling you. As a person who used to sew prior to Arthritis, I envision a room full of people sitting at their little portable Singers putting the masks together by hand. It's like each one I get is a prototype! I love the prototypes thought because I no longer put off going to bed because I have to use a mask!

lazer

Post by lazer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks for the heads up about not using baby shampoo with the SleepWeavers. I recently bought a bottle to use with my Swift FX and just assumed it would be ok for the SleepWeaver. Now to look at the alternate soaps (methods)....

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:51 am

I found that baby shampoo, as well as Amway LOC does not do well with Swift FX pillows either.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:24 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:it makes me sneeze so hard I have to change my undies.
LOL !

I use Pantene Fine Hair clear shampoo for all my "gear", tho I don't have "SleepWeaver"
(♪ ♬ ♫ I'm a Quattro FX man, breathin' best I can. Strap it on my head, an' jump into the bed, I'm a Quattro FX man... ♬ ♪ ♪)

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

SleepWeaverMarketing

Post by SleepWeaverMarketing » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi!!
I hope I can help you with the correct information on how to wash the SleepWeaver Products.
You can use a mild, non abrasive detergent- any product that is mild and non-abrasive will work. Lidquid Tide IS an example of that type of soap, however there are many more mild, non-abrasive products available.
At this time , we also do not recommend that you use any oil based soap products. They do not seem to work as well with our fabric.

And I would also like to ask you if I could make arrangements with you to get your 'damaged' mask back?
I am reachable at my office until 5 PM EST today and my number is 888-825-9640.

Many Thanks! SleepWeaverMarketing

lazer

Post by lazer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:08 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I found that baby shampoo, as well as Amway LOC does not do well with Swift FX pillows either.
Damnit! So now I have a useless bottle of baby shampoo sitting around on standbye ready to use on my Swift FX pillows after reading so many of the posts on here saying that baby shampoo was the product of choice when mask cleaning.

Oh where did I go wrong. I do easily get things mixed up I suppose.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 pm

lazer wrote: Damnit! So now I have a useless bottle of baby shampoo sitting around on standbye ready to use on my Swift FX pillows after reading so many of the posts on here saying that baby shampoo was the product of choice when mask cleaning.

Oh where did I go wrong. I do easily get things mixed up I suppose.
I have never had any problem using some sort of baby shampoo with my nasal pillows. I don't soak...I put a little on my hands work up a bit of lather, grab the nasal pillows and rub between hands for a few seconds, rinse and I am done.
I have used nothing but nasal pillow mask for well over 3 years now and I get months and months of use out of 1 pair.
Don't think it has hurt them one bit.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 pm

SleepWeaverMarketing wrote:Hi!!
I hope I can help you with the correct information on how to wash the SleepWeaver Products.
You can use a mild, non abrasive detergent- any product that is mild and non-abrasive will work. Lidquid Tide IS an example of that type of soap, however there are many more mild, non-abrasive products available.
At this time , we also do not recommend that you use any oil based soap products. They do not seem to work as well with our fabric.

And I would also like to ask you if I could make arrangements with you to get your 'damaged' mask back?

Thanks for your response on this! Right from the horse's mouth so to speak!

I just checked on Dr. Bronner's website and all their soaps have is water and different oils!! EEEEK!!! I've been washing my SW in this for six months and apart from a little fading, the fabric seems as good as new and the headgear is fine also.

Guess I'll need to rethink this for my Elan when it arrives then.

Cheers,
xenablue

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm

I think it may be a matter of terminology: "soap" may be either soap in the traditional sense, or a detergent.
Since many here have had good luck with natural soaps (none of which can be made without some form of
oil or fat), I would not rule out a nice natural soap, but not necessarily a conditioning formula.

ems

Post by ems » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Yes, thanks for the tip on the baby shampoo. I will now toss an almost new bottle in the garbage! Glad I read this tho, since I recently started using the Elan mask from Sleepweaver.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:27 pm

SleepWeaverMarketing wrote:Hi!!

Now that's class. I just received my Advance and looking forward to trying it! Thanks.

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 pm

First Kudos to Circadiance -- sounds like they might be stepping up to the plate with your issue.

Second, apparently, if what you say is true, Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash isn't considered a baby shampoo. That is all I've ever used to wash my SW's and I've got one mask that is over a year and a half old with probably pushing 6 months total of nights on it that is still a good usable mask -- currently serving as an emergency back-up to the ones I routinely use (I cycle a couple of them usually on about a 4 day cycle).

Of course -- I only wash them once a week so that may have some affect as well.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!