virus detected

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
froggie

virus detected

Post by froggie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:29 pm

MY Norton a-v will not let me log in.
It thinks the site has been compromised.
DANGER! Will Robinson!

Alshain

Re: virus detected

Post by Alshain » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Yeah, it's a security certificate issue. Firefox is doing the same thing on the login screen. It's only warning you that your password might be intercepted because it isn't secure, it's not saying it is a virus. Just add an exception and ignore it. I

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:38 pm

I can't PM so there is an issue...
I'm Jout of here

froggie

Post by froggie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:40 pm

I think I'll just lurk until the bugs are gone.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:27 am

You know, it's worse than useless to post a warning like this if you don't make a note of the error message.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:36 am

I have nortan a/v and no problems here. Although, I have my password and login saved in firefox, so it logs me in auto.

Did you just upgrade to firefox 7? I think it's a beta still. My wifes computer was acting funny from it yesterday.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Axxel wrote:I have nortan a/v and no problems here. Although, I have my password and login saved in firefox, so it logs me in auto.

Did you just upgrade to firefox 7? I think it's a beta still. My wifes computer was acting funny from it yesterday.
1. I strongly suggest to all you drop Norton, yes it catches all the bad guys, but it's resource hog will slow down your computer where as others (like my favorite Avast) will catch the same bad guys, cost you less, and not slow down your PC.

2. Firefox 7.0.1 is released actually.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Alshain wrote:
Axxel wrote:I have nortan a/v and no problems here. Although, I have my password and login saved in firefox, so it logs me in auto.

1. I strongly suggest to all you drop Norton, yes it catches all the bad guys, but it's resource hog will slow down your computer where as others (like my favorite Avast) will catch the same bad guys, cost you less, and not slow down your PC.

I'v always liked norton a/v and it's free from my isp. I have never noticed any slow downs with it. Norton full security suite, now that's a different story. Horribly slow.

I also have 2 computers running microsoft security essentials. Been using it for 2 years and I have been pleased with it also.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 am

Axxel wrote:
Alshain wrote:

I'v always liked norton a/v and it's free from my isp. I have never noticed any slow downs with it. Norton full security suite, now that's a different story. Horribly slow.

I also have 2 computers running microsoft security essentials. Been using it for 2 years and I have been pleased with it also.
Norton is a HOG period. Avast free, can't get cheaper or better. Jim The bad part removing all the Norton trash left behind, reformat is nice .
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 am

Goofproof wrote:
Axxel wrote:
Alshain wrote:

Norton is a HOG period. Avast free, can't get cheaper or better. Jim The bad part removing all the Norton trash left behind, reformat is nice .
When you referred to nortons remnants left behind after uninstalling norton, what problems have you run into with that? Have they slowed down your computer?

I am eventually going to remove it when my free subscription runs out. Just curious what problems it causes when one is not able to completely remove all of it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:57 am

Axxel wrote: When you referred to nortons remnants left behind after uninstalling norton, what problems have you run into with that? Have they slowed down your computer?

I am eventually going to remove it when my free subscription runs out. Just curious what problems it causes when one is not able to completely remove all of it.
With any uninstall for just about any software program little bits and pieces are left laying around on your computer. Most you never know about and are harmless.

Sometimes the remnants are of the type that will prevent the install of another antivirus program. That is the most annoying part of having Norton (or any other large security package) and trying to remove it so a person can get something else. Often little bits and pieces left in the registry. You can get a message to uninstall before installing the other and you know the first one has been uninstalled.

I use a little free program called CrapCleaner to clean out bits and pieces of files left after uninstalls and it also has a little registry cleaning section. While it may not be as aggressive as some of the other paid for cleaning programs, it has never failed me and cleaned out something it shouldn't and using it I have in the past experimented with all sorts of Antivirus programs and not have problems with installs.

When you remove Norton...and you try to install another antivirus program IF you have a problem then maybe use CrapCleaner. You may not have a problem. Some people do and some people don't.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:09 am

Pugsy wrote:
Axxel wrote: When you referred to nortons remnants left behind after uninstalling norton, what problems have you run into with that? Have they slowed down your computer?

With any uninstall for just about any software program little bits and pieces are left laying around on your computer. Most you never know about and are harmless.

Sometimes the remnants are of the type that will prevent the install of another antivirus program. That is the most annoying part of having Norton (or any other large security package) and trying to remove it so a person can get something else. Often little bits and pieces left in the registry. You can get a message to uninstall before installing the other and you know the first one has been uninstalled.

I use a little free program called CrapCleaner to clean out bits and pieces of files left after uninstalls and it also has a little registry cleaning section. While it may not be as aggressive as some of the other paid for cleaning programs, it has never failed me and cleaned out something it shouldn't and using it I have in the past experimented with all sorts of Antivirus programs and not have problems with installs.

When you remove Norton...and you try to install another antivirus program IF you have a problem then maybe use CrapCleaner. You may not have a problem. Some people do and some people don't.
Thanks. I will make note of that cleaner.

I always assumed little bits are left behind of all kinds of programs in the registry. The only concerns I get or things that bother me is if they slow down my system. I cannot stand a slow computer. Also, obviously don't want security risks or conflicts between 2 programs. The only a/v that has ever given me problems with installing is Mcafee. It happened twice. It could not install because there were some type of remnants of other a/v on my computer. Was such a hassle. I'll never use Mcafee again.

If the remnants left behind wont slow me down, I'll leave it be.

Thanks Pugsy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 am

Axxel wrote:If the remnants left behind wont slow me down, I'll leave it be.
It is possible that enough bits and pieces could slow the computer down. Especially upon startup.
This is why it is recommended that we use some sort of cleaning program every now and then and also do a defrag every now and then.

I use AVG free. This new laptop came with McAfee installed but not active. I removed it before it ever got activated so it was not hard to remove. Used to the antivirus programs were just simple antivirus programs but now they have these huge security suites built in. I liked it better when I could build my own security suite. Norton was always noted for being a resource hog but now just about any of these large security products will be a resource hog. The bigger and "better" they are...the more resources they use. With my AVG the only "better" aspects that I have active are just the anti virus and anti spyware products. The email and website checking features are not active and I don't install any helpful little toolbar extras.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:37 am

Pugsy wrote:
It is possible that enough bits and pieces could slow the computer down. Especially upon startup.
This is why it is recommended that we use some sort of cleaning program every now and then and also do a defrag every now and then.

I use AVG free. This new laptop came with McAfee installed but not active. I removed it before it ever got activated so it was not hard to remove. Used to the antivirus programs were just simple antivirus programs but now they have these huge security suites built in. I liked it better when I could build my own security suite. Norton was always noted for being a resource hog but now just about any of these large security products will be a resource hog. The bigger and "better" they are...the more resources they use. With my AVG the only "better" aspects that I have active are just the anti virus and anti spyware products. The email and website checking features are not active and I don't install any helpful little toolbar extras.
Thanks!!

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:53 am

Pugsy wrote:

And I agree I also avoid those suites. Total hogs. Unnecessary to have a suite, IMHO.

Im very careful what I do online, but, I have 2 kids in the house and are always going to those sites playing games and who knows what they are clicking on and downloading into the computer so I also run antimalwarebytes and I go to symantec and run the free scan they offer. It won't remove it for you, just detect. Antimalwarebyte will detect and remove. I alternate between the two of these about once a month. I just like to see what they may catch that my regular a/v doesnt. Neither of them run in real time, so they don't conflict with your main a/v. They are just manual scans. I've been happy with norton a/v and MSE, but, I think I am going to try avast on one of my computers. Been hearing people on here and online recommend it. I like to compare a/v's.