Rough night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Barbee

Rough night

Post by Barbee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 am

Just about bed time, our electric went out. My first time sleeping without my machine since I got it in January. It took me forever to fall asleep because my face felt weird without the mask :lol: I must have woke up 10 times before it came back on at 4 am. Once it came back on, I strapped my mask on and fell right to sleep. If I had any doubts (I didn't) about needing this machine to sleep, it was totally confirmed last night.
How do you all deal with electrical outages?

Tip10

Re: Rough night

Post by Tip10 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:24 am

Battery powered travel machine.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

bigdave36

Post by bigdave36 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 am

When the power goes out I sleep ok. My wife, not so much. :D

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:17 am

Barbee wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 am
Just about bed time, our electric went out. My first time sleeping without my machine since I got it in January. It took me forever to fall asleep because my face felt weird without the mask :lol: I must have woke up 10 times before it came back on at 4 am. Once it came back on, I strapped my mask on and fell right to sleep. If I had any doubts (I didn't) about needing this machine to sleep, it was totally confirmed last night.
How do you all deal with electrical outages?
had that happen to me once. horrible feeling, isn't it?

i consider myself lucky in that it's only happened the one time. but i also feel i'm lucky in that i'm retired, so i don't have to force myself up out of bed to get to work after something like that happens.

i've often wondered just how badly my work would've been effected if i'd started way back when.

so i don't really do anything, like have a battery backup for it.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:26 am

I bought a backup battery & the DC power supply for my machine. I charge the battery with a solar panel kit. We are in the country so power outages can last a while.
I tested the battery running the machine with a regular host and no humidity.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

WarpedTrekker

Post by WarpedTrekker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:12 pm

I use an older APC UPS 1300va that was previously for my computer. It's saved me a few times this year during to storm power outages at night. Also it beeps to wake me up if power flickers and my machine resets. Because right now, i don't have auto-start turned on my machine. If I turn off the humidifer , it will last through the night. With the humidifer, only a couple hours.

Pressure: 5-14 auto

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:14 pm

I have a Dreamstation GO with battery, travel machine. Great for when the power is out.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Solar or wall plug rechargeable battery. For my pressure, it's good for at least 2 nights. Never needed it for more than about 4 hrs. I also have a Power Outage alarm plugged into the strip my S9 is plugged into as I do not wake up when the power goes out. If I needed the battery for a long power outage and it didn't recharge using solar panels, I have an oximeter with alarm so I might get fragmented sleep but no desats. I do not use the humidifier except during cold weather but would disconnect if using the battery,

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

timeforagorism

Post by timeforagorism » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:07 am

The D/C wire kit for my machine was like 50 bucks. I paired this with a deep cell marine battery that I keep on a trickle charger. For good measure I paid for a backup machine, just in case.

Aircurve 10 VAUTO
ResMed AirFit F20

5 Years of BIPAP. Switched from Dreamstation after recall.

esel

Post by esel » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:52 am

I put my mask and hose on, pray and dream everything is awesome ... 8)

Well, have to admit that the first time I used my generator. Worked well except that I did not have the right filter on my CPAP and the smell woke me up. :(

I solved that problem setting the generator on the balcony. :lol: Well, that did not work for too long, some fool started banging on my door. OK, my bell was not working but I told him that it was not my fault. And when I told him that I cannot sleep while he is banging on my door, he complained about my generator. I said I needed my CPAP. He said my what ? and followed with "I could put it up my ..." Oh sight. I tried to scare him off hosing up my full-face and burping up that I would complain to the police if he doesn't stop banging on my dore. :evil: Darn even that did not work.

So now I dream and count sheeps

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm

timeforagorism wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:07 am
I paired this with a deep cell marine battery
For anyone else reading this... you want a "deep cycle" battery, and not anything 'marine'... because marine batteries are more expensive, because they're built sturdier, to take the pounding on boats.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

helencpap

Post by helencpap » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:10 am

I’ve bought 2 different backup Lithium batteries. The first one is Freedom battery which lasted less then one night . The second one I really like is the Maxoak K5 power bank which lasted me 5-6 nights with no humidity, and 2-3 nights with humidity. I love to go camping and worry about emergency power outage , so the backup battery is well worth the investment for me.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:16 am

My power goes off maybe once or twice a year.... and not for a long time. I just deal with it. I'll get up and sleep in my recliner until the lights come back on. It is a good reminder on how cpap therapy helps us health-wise and how we need to persevere.

Sheriff

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks all for the responses.

We have a huge generator that hooks up to the tractor for long term outages so Im covered there. For short ones, i think a travel machine or a battery might be just what I need. I will do some checking on prices.

Sheriff, i already sleep in a recliner due to other health issues. Its electric powered, too. My hubby was dozing in his when the electric went out. Like to never got him out of the thing :lol: