Blood sugar higher since starting cpap.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Elyemaz

Blood sugar higher since starting cpap.

Post by Elyemaz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:56 pm

From day o e, my BG has been 20 to 30 points higher than ever before. I'm sure my Dr won't believe me. Is there any research I can show her that this is not all in my head? I'm tempted to stop using the CPAP! Please let me know if you have experienced the same. I'm very worried. Thank you.

Mark55

Re: Blood sugar higher since starting cpap.

Post by Mark55 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:21 pm

I was under the belief that OSA was linked to elevated blood glucose levels, and that treatment helped some people. :?

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 pm

my wife is diabetic and her cpap does not affect her glucose levels. if your doctor won't help you or explain it to you, do not stop cpap. that will only make matters worse for your overall health. fire your doctor and find a board certified pulmonologist/sleep doctor that will help you.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Any other changes?
Particularly med changes?
Many meds can, and do, affect BG measurements.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Elyemaz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:56 pm
From day o e, my BG has been 20 to 30 points higher than ever before. I'm sure my Dr won't believe me. Is there any research I can show her that this is not all in my head? I'm tempted to stop using the CPAP! Please let me know if you have experienced the same. I'm very worried. Thank you.
How long have you been using CPAP therapy?
Why are you "sure" your doctor won't believe you?
What meds are you on? Metformin? Insulin? Anything?

As has been stated, don't stop using your CPAP!!!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Higher blood sugar can be caused by cpap use. If you are sleeping more soundly, your body isn't working as hard to keep you alive. As a result, there may be less movement. This can result in a small increase in blood sugar. However, if the trend is 10% or more, then you may have to consider that you have another condition going on that just happens to coincide with starting cpap.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 am

Wulfman... wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 pm
Elyemaz wrote:
How long have you been using CPAP therapy?
Why are you "sure" your doctor won't believe you?
What meds are you on? Metformin? Insulin? Anything?

As has been stated, don't stop using your CPAP!!!

Den

--------------------------------------->
Wulfman wrote:
Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:36 pm
I haven't had any aerophagia to deal with, but did see my glucose levels rise from the "pre-D" levels in 2005 to "scary" in 2007, even though I had read that CPAP therapy was supposed to help normalize glucose.
As we've discussed many times, there's a definite link between OSA and Diabetes, but I've been mystified why the levels increased AFTER starting therapy. Diet, exercise and weight loss seem to be the best weapons to deal with it, though.

Den

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:52 am

Elyemaz wrote:
I'm tempted to stop using the CPAP!
That would be a big mistake.

What is your age and BMI?

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 am

CPAP makes sure you can breathe during sleep so that your sleep can improve. That puts you in a much better position to make better diet choices, better activity choices, and other better lifestyle choices. There is no evidence that breathing and sleeping have overall long-term negative impacts on blood glucose. The choice not to breathe well and not to sleep well would never be a healthy choice. Therefore, get your CPAP use optimized to make sure you are getting the best sleep possible.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:03 am

Before you fire your doctor, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.
And DON'T STOP CPAP.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:41 am

Elyemaz wrote:
Is there any research I can show her that this is not all in my head? Please let me know if you have experienced the same. I'm very worried. Thank you.
Seems you aren't alone in experiencing this based on a few previous threads posted here over the years. (Search the archives here and it will bring up some results)

However, research doesn't offer much to back this up or refute it; studies are all over the place, some reporting improvements in glucose control with CPAP, others not. The usual recommendation that "more research studies are necessary" seems to be the only thing studies agree on ...yeah, thanks for that. :roll:

In your case if nothing else has changed except for starting CPAP then obviously you need to figure out what is going on.

A few questions:

Is your CPAP treatment optimal? Are you using your machine all night when you sleep, or do you sleep without it for periods of time?
What is your treated AHI? Are you monitoring your data in Sleepyhead for example?
Are you sleeping better now than before using CPAP?
Do you feel stressed and anxious about using CPAP?
Have you gained weight since starting CPAP? (Some folks do initially)

There are so many variables at play here that can affect your glucose numbers.

Obviously you are monitoring your blood glucose readings closely, so you are either diabetic or pre-diabetic and naturally you want to keep tight control on your blood glucose levels.

You've come to the right place.

There are many folks here who are diabetic/pre diabetic and who can offer lots of advice, including dietary and lifestyle suggestions as well.

Most important, don't give up on CPAP is repeated over and over and this is incredibly important, but do make sure that your CPAP treatment is optimal.

Elyemaz

Post by Elyemaz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:02 am

Thank you all for you're replies! I'm glad to hear other users having same problem. I'm not on metformin or any other big pharma meds as I've had bad reactions to them. I take Berberine supplement for years and BG has been 120-130 which was what it was with meds and no side effects.

Weight is a problem which I'm trying hard to lose. I've lost 3 lbs since on CPAP, so that's a plus!

Should I go off CPAP for a few days just to check if I'm on the right track? I will keep using it, just an experiment.

It's a little like a catch 22. No CPAP, stop breathing. Yes to CPAP, worse A1c!

Thanks again for your help.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

Elyemaz wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:02 am
Should I go off CPAP for a few days just to check if I'm on the right track?
No.

Let's discuss the effectiveness of your CPAP therapy. Effectiveness is often not achieved in the beginning. It may take some time and tweaking of the CPAP process.

What is your AHI? What is your leak level? How many hours are you using the machine per night? Are you getting dry mouth? Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info
Elyemaz wrote:
Yes to CPAP, worse A1c!
Do you know your A1c is worse? You would need about three months on CPAP to determine this.

Is it safe to assume you have been diagnosed with Type II diabetes?

Please read this post near the top of the index page - "Sticky: Newbies PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING".

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 am

Elyemaz wrote:
I take Berberine supplement for years
Berberine supplements are not FDA regulated. Studies have found that many supplements vary in strength from manufacturer to manufacturer and from batch to batch from one manufacturer. The variation ranged from more active ingredient than listed on the label to less ingredient and even none of the active ingredient.

The risk is somewhat reduced on supplements that carry the USP mark or NSF mark. But even with these marks, there is no guarantee of a consistent active ingredient measure.

The variation you have seen in your blood-glucose levels could have been caused by many factors including variations of active ingredients in the berberine supplement you are taking.
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 am

Are you sleeping worse with CPAP? Lack of sleep alone can raise your blood sugar significantly. If that's the case, you need to give it more time until you can sleep more soundly.

CPAP alone does not cause weight loss, so what else are you doing that brought about the 3lb weight loss (understanding that 3 lbs could simply be the normal fluctuation of body fluid)? Did you have any change in diet that might explain the change (i.e. standard diabetic diet advice to eat low fat and high carb will RAISE your blood sugar).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm