SleepWeaver Advance vs. Elan

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
edm_msu

SleepWeaver Advance vs. Elan

Post by edm_msu » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:58 am

My DME has the SleepWeaver Advance, but not the Elan.

I went to my DME and tried the Advance. It was really comfortable, but had a small leak that let the air blow on my eyes. That was unacceptable so I did not get it.

How much better is the Elan at sealing leaks, especially below the eyes. If it wasn't for the leaking, I'd get a SleepWeaver.

Thanks.

2kittymom

Re: SleepWeaver Advance vs. Elan

Post by 2kittymom » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:26 am

I am a Sleepweaver advanced user. I absolutely love it. I tried the Elan, thinking it would be better because it was newer. I could not keep it from blowing air into my eyes. If I spring any leaks with the Advanced, I just slightly tug on the headgear that goes up from between the eyes, and it stops the leaks immediately. As with all masks, I think each person has to find their best one, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. I'd say try them with a company that lets you return them if you aren't able to use them. Good luck.

ems

Post by ems » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:55 am

I used the Elan for the first time last night and can't say enough good things about it. I went to sleep around 11:30 and didn't wake up until 7:00 this morning. I was amazed because I thought there would be a learning curve with a new mask. It's very, very comfortable! I remember a leak in the early morning hours and just pulled on the material a bit and that was it.

I tried the Advance a while back and hated it. It felt like it was all over my face. The Elan only goes over your nose.

I'm actually amazed that I like it so much!

PS My DME didn't have the Elan either... they ordered it for me.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

mon

Post by mon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:08 pm

You can get a 30 day money back if you don't like the 'elan'. Unfortunately they don't make a small size yet but they have informed me they are in the process of getting one.

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:00 am

You can get a 30 day money back if you don't like the 'elan'.
My DME specifically said that there is not a 30 day return for SleepWeaver. Then I went to the SleepWeaver site. This is their return policy: "If you buy through your home care provider and do not like the mask, you can return it to your home care provider within 30 days for a replacement mask."
I'll contact my DME and ask them about this.
Thanks.

ems

Post by ems » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:11 am

Umm... your DME is being dishonest! I would try another DME.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Umm... your DME is being dishonest! I would try another DME.
Other than this, my DME has been very good. Certainly a lot better than some of the horror story DME's that are posted in this forum. It is baffling to me how bad some DME's are considering how much tey get paid.

I'll see what they have to say about the SleepWeaver return policy.

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 am

edm_msu wrote:My DME has the SleepWeaver Advance, but not the Elan.

I went to my DME and tried the Advance. It was really comfortable, but had a small leak that let the air blow on my eyes. That was unacceptable so I did not get it.

How much better is the Elan at sealing leaks, especially below the eyes. If it wasn't for the leaking, I'd get a SleepWeaver.

Thanks.
Yeah, I had the same problem ... My DME is fazing out all but Respironics ... If I can't get my TrueBlue to work ... https://5faacd0c97cf0d23c6dc-064f3cd61b ... ctions.pdf then I'm gonna order an Élan from Cpap.com ...
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:19 am

The reason your DME is probably giving you the runaround is that they would have to exchange your SW for another SW, not a totally different mask and they probably don't want to do that.

I'm about to order the Elan from my DME but am concerned it will be too big - hopefully not because I really want this mask as I love the Advance except for the eye leaks.

Cheers,
xena

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 am

I love the Elan! The difference between the Advance and the Elan will totally depend on your face. I couldn't use the Advance, but love the Elan. Read some of my other posts on the Elan I have some tips and tricks I posted.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 pm

I found the Advance a little better in the eye leak department, but I may tighten up the inside hole a little
to keep it from wandering around, losing seal. (part of Mon's design--thank you)
With the élan, I found it necessary to shorten the tether, and snug the hose up close to my forehead--very awkward, though.
I have since attached a small plastic ring to the 'washer'; from which I run a couple of sili-bandz up to the top of the headgear.
With the elbow thus hanging softly from the headgear, I find the seal is much better, and the featherweight hose can swing freely.
The sili bandz are less invasive than my glasses; I'm tempted to sub one for the black elastic on my Advance.
There is still a little more leakage than I can deal with to keep my eyes open though, but it is improving.

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:35 pm

I run my hose down my body under the covers. When I have an eye leak issue sometimes pulling very gentle down on the hose will stop it. YMMV

ems

Post by ems » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:44 pm

jen4700 wrote:I love the Elan! The difference between the Advance and the Elan will totally depend on your face. I couldn't use the Advance, but love the Elan. Read some of my other posts on the Elan I have some tips and tricks I posted.
Hey jen... can't find your posts on the Elan... very much liking the Elan but any tips and tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:25 pm

I guess I'm like Goldilocks -- Elan big -- too big!, Elan small -- too small!, Advance - just right!!!
With the Advanced I suffer no leaks -- my top tether is extremely loose -- I can put my whole hand under it.
I pull the lower straps way down low on the back of my neck -- not the back of my head -- literally down on the back of my neck -- the lower the better. Average leaks are ZERO every night. Extremely comfortable for me! Of course, YMMV!

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Howdy! LOVE my elan. Would never sleep with another mask. I put refresher (natural tears) eye drops in my eyes before I go to bed. My doc also recommended a gel to put in my eyes, but I haven't tried it yet. They are both over the counter. I don't have trouble with eye leaks every night, but some nights it drives me nuts. I looked at getting a sleep mask, but none fit my face. If it is really bugging me I tie a 3" wide ace bandage around my head.

I think if you can't see the TV, then the mask might be two high and two tight. I wear mine pretty loose and it "feels" like it sits on the end of my nose even tho it really doesn't.

A couple tricks I've figured out:
- warm up the mask in your hand for a minute or two before you turn on the blower. The fabric is very stiff when it is cold.
- turn up the heat a little bit. if the air does leak a little then it's not so annoying.
- hose management is up to you. i sleep with the hose under the covers along my body. I think it just takes a bit to get used to moving the mask / hose when you turn over. It is different than a plastic mask.
- use a silver sharpie to mark where the ends of the straps go.
- I pull my mask on and off over my head. I don't "unstrap" the mask to put it on. (Shows you how loose it is)

Of course YMMV! HTH!