Flonase use and nosebleeds!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cap

Flonase use and nosebleeds!

Post by cap » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:14 pm

I have used Flonase in my nose, on Dr's orders, for my Adams circuits nose pillows, for 15 years. I recently developed a severe nosebleed, two weeks in a row. I have not been able to use my CPAP since Sep 5th. I am miserable, but have not been able to restart CPAP therapy due to my sore nasal passage after two sinus cautherizations. ANY SUGGESTIONS!

ronbien

Re: Flonase use and nosebleeds!

Post by ronbien » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:53 pm

If you have a non-nasal pillows mask it may help until you can use the nasal pillows again.
It is not a bad idea to have a full face on hand anyway for the nights when you may be congested as well.

Good Luck!

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm

I've got nasal congestion and use flunisolide on occasion, I highly doubt I would use it daily. My wife used flonase and developed some bleeding as well. Because of my congestion, while I do have the flunisolide you'd never find me wearing nasal pillows, I've got to use and will always use a full face mask. It's something to consider. Good luck
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:32 pm

1) You should not stop using your Cpap machine just because your nose is sore. You just do not want to do that kind of damage to your body. Short term, you can use over-the-counter decongestants such as Alfrin (no good long term, as nasty rebound effect). If you really cannot breath through your nose while it's healing, get yourself a full-face mask.

2) It's better if you can do without cortisoid sprays such as Flonase. Have you tried daily salt-soda nasal rinses? (I use the Neilmed packets with a sqeeze bottle.) However, if you do start using again, have your doctor prescribe something other than Flonase--there are at least a half dozen different ones.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 pm

I've had problems with Flonase causing nosebleeds before. To the point that I've had to have my nose cauterized, and that was prior to XPAP use. I can no longer use Flonase.

miketech

Post by miketech » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:16 pm

I was using flonase a couple years ago, and had a nose bleed one time (not severe). I told the nurse about it, and she told me I wasn't doing it right. She told me to insert the tip into each nostril and aim it towards the corresponding ear. My guess is that they don't want the spray to go far into the nasal cavity. My guess is that they want the flonase to stick to the inside of the nose about a half an inch up from the nostril. Maybe the lower skin is tougher? (my beliefs, I have no medical training)

Mike

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Correct. I was told the same thing. If you're inserting tip into right nostril, aim towards right ear, same on left side. Only one spray in each nostril 2x daily. I use Flonase that way with no problem.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Also hold the tip horizontal to the face, your spraying it on the nose wall, not up the nose so that it runs down the throat. If you still have problems, it could be a reaction to that specific drug and you could request and alternative like Nasonex. They do the same basic thing, but they are different drugs.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:50 pm

My allergy doc confirmed that flonase can cause bleeding, but it should go away after continued use. I use only one squirt per nostril, once a day.

cpickett

Post by cpickett » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks for all the feedback on flonase and nosebleeds. On my 23 day, not using my CPAP, I went into atrial fibrillation and had to be cardioverted by A DEFRIBRILLATOR! Not fun, but I am back in normal sinus rhythm and using my CPAP with a gel nose mask!!

Thanks AGAIN!! Great feedback!

napstress

Post by napstress » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:19 am

Breathe Jimbo wrote:My allergy doc confirmed that flonase can cause bleeding, but it should go away after continued use.
My ENT told me something completely different: if I start to get nosebleeds to discontinue use. I did start getting nosebleeds on Flonase, so I did stop.
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!