New computer/old software

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LinkC

New computer/old software

Post by LinkC » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 pm

My trusty old computer crashed and I now have a shiny new Win 8 64bit model. Will Encore Pro 1.8 run on it? Mako card reader? Or is there a better option for that computer and my M-series Auto? Thanx.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

addco

Re: New computer/old software

Post by addco » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 pm

I just tried to get Encore Basic to run on my Windows 8, 64-bit machine with no luck. During the installation I get an error saying it needs Windows XP or Vista. I would imagine Encore Pro would act the same way but I cannot confirm.

Sleepyhead runs on it, though....

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:18 pm

Nope Encore Pro won't run on Win 8 or even Win 7. Encore Basic will read the old machines on the new operating systems at least on Win 7 64 bit. I have it installed on a Win 7 64 machine and read the tank and "M" series machines. Some one, I think Deerhound tried it on a Win 8 machine and said it would not load but if you loaded it on a Win 7 64 machine and copied it to a Win 8 machine it ran fine. If you want to try it I can send you the copied file off my Win 7 64 machine.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

squid13

Post by squid13 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:05 am

Encore Pro 2 runs on my Windows 7 64 bit with no problems.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:51 am

LinkC wrote:My trusty old computer crashed and I now have a shiny new Win 8 64bit model...
Link C,
Must be something in the air as my old computer (only not always so trusty) crashed and I also have a new Win 8 64bit model. My struggle isn't in trying to get specific software programs to work, but to figure out the new world I am now in because of moving from my well known XP Pro 32bit to Win 8 64bit. Wow, talk about feeling like Alice emerging from the rabbit hole... I am going to have to get one of those dummies books just to learn how to navagate .
John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:03 am

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 am

squid13 wrote:Encore Pro 2 runs on my Windows 7 64 bit with no problems.
Sorry, I left off the Version 1.8 which is what has. It won't run on anything past XP.

Jerry

Vader

Post by Vader » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:21 pm

My Encore Pro 2 software and my Mako card reader work great on both of my Windows 7 64bit computers.
They did not work with my earlier model WindowsXP.

Vader

squid13

Post by squid13 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm sure someone on here has a link to Encore Pro 2. I got mine from Pugsy.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:11 pm

There are several Pro 2.xxxxx versions available. I have links only for the most recent version which will work with the new 60 series machines. 32 and 64 bit computer versions and they will install only on Win 7 or older OS. None will install on Win 8 computers. The problem is with the installer though. If a person can get a copy of an already installed version onto a Win 8 computer then Pro (and also Basic) will work just fine.
Since Pro involves either a 32 bit or 64 bit version now and Basic doesn't have that bit requirement (it installs easily on both 32 or 64 bit) I am only recommending EncoreBasic now. It's simply smaller, easier to use and less problematic than Pro. Reports are identical. There is nothing to gain with using Pro now over Basic.

Windows 8 users...Encore Whatever version...won't install though because of issues with the installer. If you bypass the installer and just do a copy of an already installed version onto the Win 8 computer then it should work just fine. Since most Win 8 computers are going to be 64 bit computers then if you want to use Pro then you will need to make a copy of Pro that is already installed on a 64 bit computer.

Personally....I don't bother with Pro anymore. Nothing to gain by using it except Pro headaches.
I installed it...compared it to Basic and decided not to recommend Pro anymore. It simply is not needed but some people want to use Pro...that is just fine if they want to but if you have a Win 8 computer...you will need to bypass the installer.
I haven't bothered copying an installed Pro version for transfer and bypass of the installer but I do have a copy of Basic that I can help people with. I think Jerry has the same thing.
If someone just HAS to have Pro on their Win 8 computer...you will need to get a copy of it from a Win 7 64 bit computer installed version. Pro is HUGE compared to Basic. Even zipped it is going to be huge so a massive file transfer...22 MB vs over 300 MB.
Skinner's Pro Analyzer tool....won't work at all with any Pro version after 1.8. Not to mention Win 7 or Win 8.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:16 pm

It helps to right click and install as the Administrator also.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:27 pm

I am in the same boat....my old laptop died and I got a new one for xmas. Fortunately for me, I have an old pc set up downstairs that I plan to run my encore stuff on. I hate to use that old puter, but its better than fighting with the windows 8......so far I HATE it
If anyone comes up with a better solution, please send me the details.
Good luck with windows 8 .
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Sorry, this windows 8 posted my reply twice...I really hate windows 8...I am having so many problems with it grrrrrrrrrr
Nan

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:28 pm

I saw some representative of Microsoft talking on TV the other day. He said you had to use Windows 8 for at least six months before you would like it. I don't think my anger level will let me use if for that long before taking a very large hammer to it. They say every other operating system put out by Microsoft is a dud. Win 95 (dud), fixed in Win 98, Millennium (dud), fixed in XP, Vista (dud), fixed in Win 7, now with Win 8 it is on the dud cycle. I know Wulfman disagrees with this on Win 95 but I rmember a lot of folks having problems with 95. I did not come up with this, someone posted it on one of the tech sites but it sounds close.

Jerry

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:27 am

Our darling Pugsy is indeed the best!!!!! I downloaded the link she sent me...and VOILA....it works. Encore basic is somewhat different than pro but I managed to navigate it without mishap. Now all I have to do is get this windows 8 to work properly.
Pugsy..you are indeed the best and I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart .
Cheers
Nan