Anyone know if PR System one Humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nole27

Anyone know if PR System one Humidifier

Post by Nole27 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 pm

is supposed to have a cap on it. I bought mine as an open box item from secondwindcpap and didn't really pay attention to the fact that there was no cap for the top of the tank. But I've had a horribly dry mouth the past few nights and am thinking it's the result of nor having a cap. Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: Anyone know if PR System one Humidifier

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:55 pm

The top that swivels where the long hose attaches? I don't have any sort of cap with mine anywhere.

Dry mouth usually means some mouth breathing. It happens even with full face mask.

Last edited by Pugsy on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

darimont

Post by darimont » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Yes, assuming you mean the water tank, here's a link to the pics

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... ifier.html

Nole27

Post by Nole27 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Not the top but on the chamber itself. There's that hole in the middle of it. I know the humidifier is working because there's no water in the chamber in the morning but my mouth is incredibly dry. Is there a remedy for this. Might my room be too cool? If so is there a way to combat this? Thanks.

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:02 pm

By "no cap for the top of the tank", do you mean that as a tank you have a tank that's shaped like a strange bowl, with what looks like a form of gasket around the top edge, but is otherwise open with no removable piece that latches onto it? Where the only surface above the water in the tank is the humidifier lid with the hose attachment on it? My humidifier's tank is made of two pieces.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:05 pm

The hole in the clear plastic tank on top? No, there is no cap for it. It is open so the air coming in the side holes across the water will then go up into the long hose.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:10 pm

You can try turning up the humidifier setting as it is now so that it will produce more moisture in the air.
You can turn off the new humidification system that uses humidity sensors and go back to the old fashioned way of humidification (clinical manual explains it. I think it is called Classic Mode) which uses more heat and more moisture is produce. More chance of rain out as it will use a lot more water.

Dry mouth is common even with full face masks and high humidity. The humidifier is designed to add moisture to the nasal cavity and not the mouth cavity that requires more water. Some people even use a chin strap to limit mouth breathing with a full face mask for this reason. Biotene makes some products to help add moisture to the mouth.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 pm

I have the same mask and I would occasionally get dry mouth if I ended up on my back, where i probably snored with my mouth open.

Can you look at the data to see if you had lots of snoring going on?

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:21 pm

The PR SYS1 humidifier (the water tank, chamber, bowl or whatever your name for it is) is composed of two (2) parts. The bottom holds the water up to the fill line, and the top portion snaps down on top of that. Without the top portion, undoubtedly you are going to risk spillage, loss of water to the point of a dry bowl in the morning and improper therapy and comfort.
I would detatch the humidifier from the blower assembly and call the seller of the product for relief, first thing tomorrow morning.

ronbien

Post by ronbien » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:34 am

Here is what a complete one should look like. Bottom half and top half together. The black almost diagonal line is the division between the halves.

Good Luck!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:57 am

I know the humidifier is working because there's no water in the chamber in the morning but my mouth is incredibly dry. Is there a remedy for this. Might my room be too cool? If so is there a way to combat this? Thanks.
This is a CLASSIC description of problems with MOUTH BREATHING. There's nothing wrong with the humidifier at all. You need to be able to stop losing air out of your mouth all night. It dries your mouth terribly.

Easiest fix is to train yourself to sleep with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. It's not as hard as it sounds. Practice all day long. That way, even if you have your mouth open, your tongue will seal off the airway and the air won't rush through your mouth, drying it up and using all the humidity from your tank.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to experiment with chin straps and taping.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:26 pm

In a sense there is a cap for the humidifier tank. It's part of the humidifier, not the tank. There's a disk shaped gasket in the lid of the humidifier. It seals around the hole in the top of the water tank. It is removable. You won't see it unless you remove the tank and then look up into the humidifier on the bottom of the lid.

If you didn't have the gasket, you'd probably hear a lot of air leaking out. Unplug the mask from the hose, put your finger over the hose and listen for air leaks at the machine. Or for air leaks anywhere. Air leaks could use up your water during the night and leave you dry. Plus reduce your pressure.

If the gasket isn't installed properly, you probably wouldn't get air pressure.

If the water is disappearing and there are no puddles, the humidifier is doing its job.

Even with a humidifier and a full face mask, you may still get dry mouth if you breathe through your mouth.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.