Stupid question about nasal pillows

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zeeclass

Stupid question about nasal pillows

Post by zeeclass » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm still trying to get the nasal pillows to work for me, but having a hard time.

Can you tell me, when you put them on your nose -- looking at the pillows, together they either form a V or an upside-down V. Which way is correct? Both ways seem to work, although neither way seems to be comfortable. I've tried various sizes and no matter what, either they pinch my nostrils or they just don't seal well. I've tried every combination possible and am ready to give up. But I don't want to give up, because when I can sorta get them working, it's much more comfortable to sleep on my side with the nasal pillows than the nasal mask.

Another problem I've had is with my nose whistling with the pillows on. No matter how much I blow my nose or make sure that there's not gunk in there, they whistle when wearing the pillows. It drives me crazy. I don't have this problem with the nasal mask. I have even tried clearing out my nose with saline solution, but still it whistles with the pillows on.

Thanks!

Diagnosed mainly with hypopneas, original AHI of 19. Also suffer from twitching in sleep, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, herniated discs in neck and back, mild recurring depression. Hubby and I are both hoseheads with matching CPAPs!

apneawho

Re: Stupid question about nasal pillows

Post by apneawho » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Upside down V is the way I was taught to wear them.
I have the whistling when I am not getting a good seal, either because they need replacing or need tweaking and adjusting while on my face. Obviously, you should not have whistling.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Whichever way your nares go, match your nasal pillows to this. Mine form at upsidedown "V" and this is how my nasal pillows look as I face the mask towards me to put it in place.

I don't practice checking out other people's nostrils, but have to presume my nares aren't all that different from everyone else's.

No stupid questions here

Cheers,
xena

Axxel

Post by Axxel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:25 pm

zeeclass wrote:I'm still trying to get the nasal pillows to work for me, but having a hard time.

Can you tell me, when you put them on your nose -- looking at the pillows, together they either form a V or an upside-down V. Which way is correct? Both ways seem to work, although neither way seems to be comfortable. I've tried various sizes and no matter what, either they pinch my nostrils or they just don't seal well. I've tried every combination possible and am ready to give up. But I don't want to give up, because when I can sorta get them working, it's much more comfortable to sleep on my side with the nasal pillows than the nasal mask.

Another problem I've had is with my nose whistling with the pillows on. No matter how much I blow my nose or make sure that there's not gunk in there, they whistle when wearing the pillows. It drives me crazy. I don't have this problem with the nasal mask. I have even tried clearing out my nose with saline solution, but still it whistles with the pillows on.

Thanks!
Since you are having leaks, are you sure you have the correct size? They don't always size you correctly at the sleep study. They gave my father a small size nasal mask and he's got a rather large honker . He needed and uses a medium.

Cindy Lou Who

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Yes, whistling isn't good, there's a leak somewhere. Going next size larger stopped that and gave me a better seal. Got whistling on exhale before changing pillows from small to Med.
Also no question is stupid. If you get an answer that works great for you...job done!
Good Luck,
Cindy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Have you seen the fitting video?http://www.cpaplibrary.com/nasal-pillows.html
I have had a few times of whistling. Highly annoying. It was directly related to pillow placement and the inner cone had got in a "bind" sort of from top strap being a little to snug and the pillow wasn't sitting square. I pulled it out a couple of time to let things reinflate properly and no more problems with whistling.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:13 pm

zeeclass wrote:I'm still trying to get the nasal pillows to work for me, but having a hard time.
Which brand of the nasal pillows are you having troubles with?

Also using Lansinoh around the nares & on the pillows helps to seal IF they are the correct size. Always start with a larger size pillow than you think you need. You did get more than one size right?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm not sure I under stand the question, but if you are asking how to tell the top from the bottom of a ResMed nasal pillow mask, it's easy.
The top of the mask has the word ResMed on it, and the size letters (S,M or L) are right side up when the top of the mask is top side up.

ronbien

Post by ronbien » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:53 am

Here is another video.
Hope it helps.
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift ... s&sec=true

Good luck!