Nasal Pillows and sore nostrils.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WldWcnWmn

Nasal Pillows and sore nostrils.

Post by WldWcnWmn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:52 pm

My cpap nasal pillows made my nose sore.... I feel (and look) like those animated kids on that klennex tissue commercial with their red noses. I don't own and don't really want a full face mask, but I am guessing a back up or completely different type of mask might be necessary to switch it up a bit. Do ya'll switch up your masks? Also, any advice on what I can use during the day to "toughen up" my nostril skin? I know it sounds weird, but those of you with sensitive skin know what I mean. Also, I am breaking out on my cheeks from where the head gear rubs... I am not overly concerned with that 'cause it's not painful and my helmet strap caused me to break out when I first started riding my motorcycle, but my skin got used to it and it doesn't happen too much anymore (of course, I don't ride every night for eight hours - but I digress). Anyways, I have sensitive skin and I am in hell; I am not giving up on the cpap machine though, cause the brain fog has lifted and I feel like a million bucks (with a red nose Rudolf would envy). Any ideas... I could sure use some 411.

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Initial sleep study 8/3/2011
Second study with CPAP titration 8/20/2011
Recv'd results Sept 6, 2011 - haven't figured out what it all means, yet.

Pugsy

Re: Nasal Pillows ans sore nostrils.

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Lansinoh ointment for the sore nostrils. Found in the baby section of Walmart. It is what nursing moms use to alleviate sore and cracked nipples. Use it 24/7 (a little goes a long way) till tenderness is gone and later at bedtime if you wish.

If nostrils are red and abraded then you have the straps too tight. Might also try a different size pillow (usually up in size) if it seems to be moving around a lot. These nasal pillows should not cause abrasions, redness or pain unless they are the wrong size or poor fit.

The side cheek straps. Did your mask come with the thin felt like covers? It you are using them then perhaps a heavier strap cover like this.
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_SwiftFX.html

Forum member Janknitz has some hints on fitting the Swift FX.
http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/swift- ... ing-guide/

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

GumbyCT

Re: Nasal Pillows and sore nostrils.

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Pugsy wrote:Lansinoh ointment for the sore nostrils. Found in the baby section of Walmart. It is what nursing moms use to alleviate sore and cracked nipples. Use it 24/7 (a little goes a long way) till tenderness is gone and later at bedtime if you wish.
Pugsy told ya right. I was lucky enuff to use Lansinoh when I started using nasal pillows and never had a red nose, ever. But I do use it every nite w/o fail.

The strap - it must be moving to cause irritation. Any mask or pillows movement will cause irritations if they move. As Pugsy said it is likely the wrong size. With nasal pillows bigger is always better. They should seal on the outside (nares) os the nose, NOT inside.
WldWcnWmn wrote:Also, I am breaking out on my cheeks from where the head gear rubs...

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

WldWcnWmn

Post by WldWcnWmn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 pm

I have to learn to post more complete questions....

Yeah, I am naughty.. I have been playing with the headgear and the humidity settings on the machine and the ramp times... I overly tightened the headgear about three nights ago and caused the sore nose I now have and the two cute little pimples (one on each cheek, in the same spot on either side) and I learned that the headgear doesn't have to be THAT TIGHT to be effective. So, now I am paying for my tampering. I am all out of nursing cream (my youngest is fourteen) and it's a little late to go trucking down to the store - I am all jammied up; my nose has been hurting all day, and I just now realized I have to stick something on it for the next eight hours that will rub and irritate it more... I am slow. Can you use desitin and not ruin the nasal pillows? Yes, I have diaper cream (soothe the sensitive skin) but no nursing cream (toughen up the skin)... hmmm looks like I need to learn to be a little more proactive in my skin care regime.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:40 pm

You have probably gone to bed already. So don't know if you used the Desitin or not but if it were me and I was in a pinch I would use it. Don't remember what it is made of but as long as no petroleum in it (petroleum is hard on the silicone and lungs) shouldn't be a problem.. Even if it did..one night is not that big of a deal. Just wash it off in AM.
Also something like Neosporin antibiotic ointment might be used in a pinch.. Again I don't know what its base is.
So much of this stuff is petroleum based..like Vasoline but if that was all I had..I would use just a tiny bit just once till I could get something that isn't hard on the silicone or lungs (something about possibility of inhalation of petroleum particles not good on lungs).

This won't help you now but if you decide you want to keep the Swift FX as primary mask, you might want to invest in this or make one if you are handy. It is quite comfy against the skin. Not that I find the silicone unpleasant or harsh but this I really like the feel of.
http://www.padacheek.com/PACSwiftII_Barrel_cozy.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WldWcnWmn

Post by WldWcnWmn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 pm

I did break down and use the desitin last night (I was desperate) it is petroleum based (and smells funky). Today at lunch I scored a lip balm that's 100% organic, with shea butter and cocoa butter and calendula and some other funky healing bits. I am not even going to tell you that a chapstick type applicator fits perfectly in my nares. There are some things I am learning that I didn't think I would ever need to know. For anyone else out there who goes through two weeks of nasal pillow use without thinking about using a lubricant.... um, think about trying it. Call me crazy but it seemed to me that the nasal pillows "fit" and "stayed" better last night with the desitin to keep them in place. I washed the silicone really well in warm soapy water to hopefully prevent breakdown from the petroleum but I am using my merry hempster's organic salve from now on. Big bonus, it smells much better than desitin.

MikeRinCA

Post by MikeRinCA » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:40 pm

I have to say I am only about 10 days into therapy and I feel much better than I remeber feeling in along time. Only on night one was my nose sore. I have had periods of discomfort but nothing I cannot live with. I feel for those who are having difficuly adjusting, but cannot imagine not maikng it work. The payback so far has been a lifting of my braing fog, not after work naps, no fading while driving, etc. Here is my regimen so far:

Morning and Night - Netti pot rinse/ actually found that rite-aid brand nasal rinse bottle works better than my netti pot
One to Two times a day use- Nelimed nasal gel spray or AYR saline mist

That has been it, after using the opti nasal pillow mask/cube, i recieved my Swift Fx last friday and love it!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 pm

I don't doubt that the Desitin seemed to help with the seal. It is rather tacky like Lansinoh ointment.
The tackiness sort of helps things stick in place better (won't work so good if you use a lot, body heat melts it all over the place and you slide off the pillow. ) well maybe not that much but you get the idea.

Not enough use with a petroleum product to cause harm and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

If your new stuff works, that is all that matters.. Lansinoh is offered often but in reality I think any other good moisturizer that happens to be a bit sticky instead of slick should work well.

ginnyc

Post by ginnyc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm

ginnyc

Post by ginnyc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Give the nasal pillows a chance. I'm also having some trouble with sore nostrils, but right now am trying to treat with facial lotion before bed and antibiotic ointment in the morning before I put on makeup. Believe me, I started out with a full face mask and it was nothing but a misery. Leaks all the time, even though I kept adjusting the straps, but if they were tight enough to stop the leak they make horrible marks all over your face and are also painful, especially the bridge of your nose. I'm a new timer to this game (my husband has used a full mask for 5 years and sleeps like a baby with it), but I switched to the nasal pillows. I think it's a great improvement over the full face deal but still has it's problems. After reading this and several other posting sites I'm going to try the Lansinoh. Right now I'm using CeraVe lotion in the morning and at night and Bacitracin in the morning on the sores. I still get the a few small sores, but not too bad as yet. I switched from medium size pillows to small pilows thinking it would be an improvement, but tonight I'm switching back to the medium to see if it improves the problem. I do have a humidifier on my CPAP (and in the room) and it's running every night but still doesn't solve the problem. Good luck! None of this is fun.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:31 pm

If nasal pillows are causing sores....the most common reason is the straps are way too tight.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Have you considered a nasal mask? They go around your nose, but don't cover the mouth.

It will help if you sign up for an ID and fill in the equipment, especially mask model, in your profile. There's a link in my signature line to help you do this.

For most of these masks, you need to fit it not too tight and let it "inflate" into your face to seal properly.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:40 pm

WldWcnWmn has been gone since Sept 2011, unless she is lurking.
This thread was revived by a guest.

Rested Rebel

Post by Rested Rebel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm

I first started using my machine and nasal pillows on December 26 and haven't had any trouble since. In fact, my nostrils feel better than they did pre-cpap because of the heated humidity and air that passes through. In fact, my voice doesn't sound hoarse anymore, and I feel so much younger and well-rested. I've already dropped about 10 pounds since I started on my cpap machine, and I have so much energy, I feel 41 instead of 61.

Before my machine use, my nose was dry, irritated, and I sometimes bled. My mask fits perfectly and I look forward to using it every night. It sounds as though you don't have a good fit with your nasal pillows because it is possible to not have any problems with it.

Good luck, and happy sleeping.

Mema Betty

Post by Mema Betty » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:26 pm

I have tried several medications, but I found that honey works well. It has healing properties. It is sticky enough to keep the nasal pillows from shifting. Try it, unless you are allergic to honey.