CPAP leak trails: Seeking used masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lisacaice

CPAP leak trails: Seeking used masks

Post by lisacaice » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 am

Hi Everyone,

I am a new CPAP user but already a firm believer in the treatment. I was diagnosed in August and started my treatment in October. I struggled for the first few weeks but kept at it. Like most of you here I have a lot of other issues that complicate the ability to use the treatment and found myself taking the mask off at night, mostly due to leaks and dry mouth. But through determination and using the problem solving skills I managed to retain in my brain...lol I have found a great solution for leaks with my two masks. I would like to develop the device for other masks and get it out to the CPAP community so others can stop fighting leaks and move on to deal with the other issues they face, like sleep hygiene and so on.

If you have an old CPAP mask just lying around collecting dust or maybe using it for a door stop I would love to have it for this project. Please email me if your are interested. Lisaj@writersreef.com

I would also like to share an interesting body of research with you all that I came across during my search for CPAP and sleep apnea answers that I think will greatly benefit us all. But you can decide for yourselves. This research is from a neurologists named Dr Gominak. http://drgominak.com/vitamin-d
She also has videos for those who are to tired to read. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7cbBB1c0IM

It's pretty fascinating research and this Doctor really cares about solving sleep problems. I wrote to her to ask her some questions about the study and she personally answered my email the next day and had some really interesting things to say.

During her research she has found that every patients who has been diagnosed with a sleep disorder (there are 84) as most of you know...has a vitamin D deficiency.

I would like to know how many of you here know that you also have the deficiency?

Thanks

Lizistired

Re: CPAP leak trails: Seeking used masks

Post by Lizistired » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 am

Here is a thread on Dr Gominak's research. She posted here also.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69331&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... ak#p642946

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 am

I HAD a vitamin D deficiency, and have been taking a supplement for over a year. Still have OSA and the supplement seems to have not made any difference to how I feel, despite my levels now being within the accepted range.

Cheers,
xena

lazer

Post by lazer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 am

Interesting read and thanks! I actually finally get my Vitamin D level checked on the 12th of this month. Am curious to see how it comes out.

Tiame

Post by Tiame » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 pm

xenablue wrote:I HAD a vitamin D deficiency, and have been taking a supplement for over a year. Still have OSA and the supplement seems to have not made any difference to how I feel, despite my levels now being within the accepted range.

Cheers,
xena
Her research suggests that we need higher doses than the recommended daily amount set by the FDA and most Doctors. You may want to look at the research and try to get your levels up above that? Can't hurt.

Heavylids

Post by Heavylids » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm taking vitamim D as well.

To the OP. If I send you a Resmed mask, basically an investment in a yoor R&D for this new product, I would expect you to agree to give me 5% of the profit for the first 5 years from product sales. Masks are not cheap and we don't use them as doorstops. Let me know if you want the mask. I need a new investment

P.S. Almost fogot. PM me complete details of the device with some pictures. I need to know what I'm investing in

lisacaice

Post by lisacaice » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Heavylids wrote:I'm taking vitamim D as well.

To the OP. If I send you a Resmed mask, basically an investment in a yoor R&D for this new product, I would expect you to agree to give me 5% of the profit for the first 5 years from product sales. Masks are not cheap and we don't use them as doorstops. Let me know if you want the mask. I need a new investment

P.S. Almost fogot. PM me complete details of the device with some pictures. I need to know what I'm investing in
Heavylids, I wasn't asking for new masks, just ones that are not being used anymore. People do throw them away and yes unfortunately some people do use them for door stops when they give up on treatment. If you don't want to donate your mask for a good cause then don't reply.

I know how much they cost. I am a cpap user too.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:45 pm

yes I do have Vit D deficiency. I will be on supplements for life. Apparently this is becoming common as we spend most time indoors, in cars and when we are out side we are sun phobic and cover up and use tons of sun screen.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

Bon Bon

Post by Bon Bon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I've also found a great solution for leaks with my masks. I highly recommend the mask liners from http://www.padacheek.com. They not only reduce leaks, they make the masks so comfy!! Good luck with your new device. I'll be excited to see it.
Last edited by Bon Bon on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Tiame wrote:
xenablue wrote:I HAD a vitamin D deficiency, and have been taking a supplement for over a year. Still have OSA and the supplement seems to have not made any difference to how I feel, despite my levels now being within the accepted range.

Cheers,
xena
Her research suggests that we need higher doses than the recommended daily amount set by the FDA and most Doctors. You may want to look at the research and try to get your levels up above that? Can't hurt.

Thanks Lisa - I shall do some reading tonight. I'm at work so only get a few minutes here and there when on breaks. I currently take 5,000iu per day, which my endo thought was excessive until he saw that it only just brought me into the 'normal' range. Incidentally, I'm from Australia originally and spent much time outside - now I live in Wisconsin where I spend half the year inside trying to keep warm.